Brewer Fanatic

Wil Nieves to Braves for $1; remains in AAA as depth only

jmeks23
that has hurt the ego, i don't remember anyone being sold for a dollar

Does anybody else think that Melvin's kind of a knob for revealing that? I mean, what's the point? It just makes Nieves look bad.

There was no reveal. Witrado was trying to make a joke. It likely was the amount of a waiver claim ($50,000). The Brewers just want an opportunity for someone to give him a job and save them some money.

that has hurt the ego, i don't remember anyone being sold for a dollar

Does anybody else think that Melvin's kind of a knob for revealing that? I mean, what's the point? It just makes Nieves look bad.

There was no reveal. Witrado was trying to make a joke. It likely was the amount of a waiver claim ($50,000). The Brewers just want an opportunity for someone to give him a job and save them some money.
OK, then I'm a dunce.

Nothing to see here..........

My guess was the 50K too.

Cue Doug Melvin as Bob Barker: "And the actual retail price is......."

*Pulls a card out of an envelope.*

"$1.00"

...and that
I was picturing the four people in Contestants Row bidding on Nieves:

Contestant 1: One point three million, Bob.

Contestant 2: One million even!

Contestant 3: Eight hundred seventy five thousand.

Contestant 4: [looking back at his friends]

Bob Barker: We need an answer...

Contestant 4: One dollar!

[a bell dings several times]

Bob Barker: That sound means that one of you got the price exactly right! Whoever wins will get to reach into my pocket and pull out a fresh, clean one hundred dollar bill!

[Cheering and nervous looks from the contestants]

Bob Barker: And the actual retail price is...one dollar?

mlbtraderumors also reported the $1 waiver claim, though they probably picked it up from McCalvy. i bet Nieves got really sick of friends calling him about the $1 thing. but for all the people who would joke about it to him, Nieves has played in the Major Leagues and they haven't. that and i sure wouldn't mind the salary he's making this year--wow.

Archived