Brewer Fanatic

2011-07-28 Cubs (Wells) at Brewers (Marcum) - [Brewers win, 4-2]

July 28 - 1:10 P.M.

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/cubs.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/brewers.jpg

42-62

56-49

Pitching Matchup

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/cubs/wells-02.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/brewers/marcum-22.jpg

Randy Wells

2-3, 6.17

Wells earned a victory for the first time in over three months as the Cubs defeated the Astros on Saturday, 5-1. Sidelined by an injury for almost two months, Wells has struggled for the majority of the season but has shown signs of finding form.

Brewers vs. Zambrano
Zambrano Game Log

Shaun Marcum

9-3, 3.35

Marcum credited a between-starts mechanical adjustment for his seven-inning gem against the Giants on Friday. He shortened his delivery to actually reduce the movement on his fastball, aiding his command.

Cubs vs. Marcum
Marcum Game Log

Starting Lineups

1. Fukudome/Colvin RF
  2. Castro SS
  3. Ramirez 3B
  4. Pena 1B
  5. Byrd CF
  6. Soto C
  7. Soriano LF
  8. Barney 2B
  9. Wells P

1. Hart RF
  2. Morgan CF
  3. Braun LF
  4. Fielder 1B
  5. McGehee 3B
  6. Betancourt SS
  7. Lucroy C
  8. Counsell 2B
  9. Marcum P

Media Coverage

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/media/media-mlbtv.jpg

Brewerfan Game Chat

MLB GameDay 2010 | ESPN GameCast | 620 WTMJ Affiliates

Fan Sites

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PretendAstronaut, I'll assume that's Craig Counsell at 2B and Yuni at SS. Of course, I wouldn't mind just leaving 2nd wide open and having both Counsell and Yuni play short (/blue).

Here's to another afternoon of listening to Len and Bob complain about the Brewers.

Community Moderator
PretendAstronaut, I'll assume that's Craig Counsell at 2B and Yuni at SS. Of course, I wouldn't mind just leaving 2nd wide open and having both Counsell and Yuni play short (/blue).

Fixed. Thanks. Yunisell would make a good SS. Let Yuni bat and Counsell play defense.

Verified Member
If McGehee can get back to his 09-10 form for the next 4-6 weeks that would pretty much replace the lost production from Rickie. Plus there is no way that Rickie's replacement could perform worse than McGehee has, so it is actually still conceivable that the offense won't fall off too much. I know that nobody around here actually thinks he can do that, but his past success at least makes it feasible. Granted, if Rickie were healthy AND McGehee gets back to form the Crew would have likely had the best 1-6 in the league.

Verified Member

Fixed. Thanks. Yunisell would make a good SS. Let Yuni bat and Counsell play defense.

Perhaps in the World Series this could be worked out. There is no way that Roenicke or Melvin can tell me with a straight face that Counsell is a better hitter right now than Yo. The rest of the rotation is pretty close to CC as a hitter as well.

Ferris may not be here yet in time for the game, but it's asinine to me that Counsell gets to play over Wilson. Counsell looked absolutely terrible in his 3 at bats last night, pushing his hitless streak to 38. I can't remember even one hard out in that streak either.

Ferris could at least play excellent defense and needs to play if he's here. If not, it should be Wilson over Counsell, hands down.

If McGehee can get back to his 09-10 form for the next 4-6 weeks that would pretty much replace the lost production from Rickie. Plus there is no way that Rickie's replacement could perform worse than McGehee has, so it is actually still conceivable that the offense won't fall off too much. I know that nobody around here actually thinks he can do that, but his past success at least makes it feasible. Granted, if Rickie were healthy AND McGehee gets back to form the Crew would have likely had the best 1-6 in the league.
It's not that people don't think McGehee CAN do it, they just find it unlikely. For reference, here are their rest of season ZiPS projections:

Weeks: .255 / .349 / .451
McGehee: .257 / .311 / .387

McGehee could do much better than that projection and still not approach Weeks' so I am not very optimistic. And even then, the Brewers have been outscored on the year, so there's reason to believe that even matching Weeks' production might not be enough.

It's not that people don't think McGehee CAN do it, they just find it unlikely. For reference, here are their rest of season ZiPS projections:

Weeks: .255 / .349 / .451
McGehee: .257 / .311 / .387

McGehee could do much better than that projection and still not approach Weeks' so I am not very optimistic. And even then, the Brewers have been outscored on the year, so there's reason to believe that even matching Weeks' production might not be enough.

Sadly, I'd be thrilled if McGehee did that.

No blackout, just one of those weekday home day games FSN doesn't pick up.

What really annoys me (as a WI expat using mlb.tv) is that you can't overlay the WTMJ audio over the Chicago video feed today. Irritating.

It's blacked out for us in the Milwaukee area with Time Warner Cable

Archived