Brewer Fanatic

2011-07-27 Cubs (Zambrano) at Brewers (Greinke) - [Brewers win 2-0]

No break is a great sign. Can anyone with some reasonable experience tell us how long a severe sprain (if that's what it is) would put Rickie out?

From personal experience: Grade 1 sprain recovery can be pretty quick...certainly within a week. Grade 2 & 3 sprains can take several weeks to heal, and typically never feel the same after (I experienced a grade 2-3 five years ago, couldn't put any weight on that foot for 2 full weeks and still haven't regained pre-injury explosiveness). Often times a clean break is better off than a grade 3 sprain because the break heals faster.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "no break" really doesn't mean much. Depending on the location of the break, sometimes a break heals faster than a severe sprain.
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't see it, but from the descriptions, I wasn't thinking break. I was thinking torn ligaments and what-not. I'm also praying it's not the dreaded "high ankle sprain."

Any sprain is going to require a DL stint, and judging by him not being able to put pressure on it, I would say 15 day DL minimum.
not necessarily. like someone who mentioned what happened to them, there's always similar plays in basketball where one guy comes down on another's foot and rolls it real bad and has to be helped off the court without putting pressure on it. Or an RB running through the hole who steps on a d-lineman's foot. Sometimes those guys are out a while, sometimes they come back the next quarter. I'm expecting the worst for weeks, because that was ugly...but you never know.

did anyone notice that weeks didn't grimace AT ALL. not that i saw anyways, combine that with no break and i am holding out hope. i've sprained my ankle dozens of times in basketball and every time i've squirmed and grimaced. now i know weeks is tough but his face was perfectly calm! i'm hoping for the best.

Yeah well Weeks is tough. He is the guy who didn't come out of the game after being hit in the face with a pitch.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

did anyone notice that weeks didn't grimace AT ALL. not that i saw anyways, combine that with no break and i am holding out hope. i've sprained my ankle dozens of times in basketball and every time i've squirmed and grimaced. now i know weeks is tough but his face was perfectly calm! i'm hoping for the best.

Weeks is one tough dude. He's taken more pitches to the ribs, back, etc... the face even. No doubt, the guy is tough

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Archived