Brewer Fanatic

Greatest Week(end) in sports history?

brewtank34
So, with the NFL lockout completed and FA about to get under way...combined with the MLB trading deadline this weekend...I am claiming this week, the Greatest Week(end) in sports history. I wish I could take off of work all week long and just watch the trade rumors, transactions, sports talk that's going to occur.... Should be a fun week nonetheless!

I'm bumbed about the NFL free agency. Instead of hearing the latest rumors about baseball trades at the deadline, we'll only hear about the NFL. I was hoping they weren't going to play this year.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Yeah, I'm hoping for Melvin to make a significant move of some kind. I'm getting more and more worried that we won't see it happen though. The MLB trade market has been very quiet so far.

I'm going to try and pay as little attention to the NFL noise as possible. The hype and over selling from the media is already extremely tiresome.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm bumbed about the NFL free agency. Instead of hearing the latest rumors about baseball trades at the deadline, we'll only hear about the NFL. I was hoping they weren't going to play this year.
There are websites and sections of websites dedicated to baseball. You don't have to rely on TV to get your trade news.

Verified Member
Count me among those who are totally un-excited about the upcoming sports week. I understand that anticipation and speculation is a big part of sports fandom, but for some reason I have never been able to get into the minutiae of the Packers roster moves and the surrounding hoopla about the NFL. I love football on Saturdays and Sundays in the fall, but between the Super Bowl and Labor day I just don't care. I am excited about Russell Wilson though...

i think it will be the greatest weekend of sports news, but not the greatest sports weekend. I don't think you can compare the trade deadline and the start of nfl free agency to superbowl weekend or the world series because of the gravity of the later. It should be fun though. I plan on going to atleast saturday and maybe sunday at miller park, following free agency and the deadline while there. There is also the huge fedor - hendo fight on sat night too to look forward to.

The Packers and NFL are great fun once a week during the season and playoffs, but otherwise it just doesn't hold any interest for me. Like a friend said the other day, football is more fun to watch, baseball more fun to talk about. (Frankly I'm not so sure about the "more fun to watch" part, but I understand football makes for exciting TV for casual fans.)

I think Chris Berman's freakishly large ESPN head will explode this weekend.

Fixed!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

i think it will be the greatest weekend of sports news, but not the greatest sports weekend. I don't think you can compare the trade deadline and the start of nfl free agency to superbowl weekend or the world series because of the gravity of the later. It should be fun though. I plan on going to atleast saturday and maybe sunday at miller park, following free agency and the deadline while there. There is also the huge fedor - hendo fight on sat night too to look forward to.
Agreed. Nicely stated.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have a feeling that Melvin will outdo his Claudio Vargas acquisition a few years back by stunning the baseball world and grabbing Jamey Carroll. Melvin has never been one to make the huge deadline deal.
I was thinking a Franklin Stubbs signing was in the works.

I have a feeling that Melvin will outdo his Claudio Vargas acquisition a few years back by stunning the baseball world and grabbing Jamey Carroll. Melvin has never been one to make the huge deadline deal.
I was thinking a Franklin Stubbs signing was in the works.
I'd prefer Sean Berry. He would be a great mentor for Kevin Barker.

Count me among those who are totally un-excited about the upcoming sports week. I understand that anticipation and speculation is a big part of sports fandom, but for some reason I have never been able to get into the minutiae of the Packers roster moves and the surrounding hoopla about the NFL. I love football on Saturdays and Sundays in the fall, but between the Super Bowl and Labor day I just don't care. I am excited about Russell Wilson though...

I'm with you Oxy, I love both college and pro football once it begins for real, but NFL roster moves and preseason football don't do much for me. Every baseball player comes with stats so even a fringe minor league deal at least gives you something to look at. What do I know about some lineman or DB from SMU or New Mexico? I completely expected the lockout to work itself out at this exact point in time. I'll start paying attention to the Packers when I know Aaron Rodgers will be playing in the 4th quarter.

Same here Briggs. I love baseball transaction season because it's so easy to analyze deals due to the wealth of information available on player performance and the relative simplicity of MLB's salary structure. With football, I have no clue how to evaluate the signings.

I do greatly enjoy spending 10 hours on a cool fall Saturday or Sunday watching football and making chili with my wife and my dog. A few times last year when I had a stressful week and just needed a day off, I would wake up at 6:30 and watch Premier League Football from 6:30 to 12:00 and then switch over to U.S. football until the wife decided I was being too lazy. Sadly, I just realized I won't be able to watch the Packers every week down here (I was always able to watch in Iowa).

As for the greatest weekend in sports history, I've got to put this behind every World Cup Final, every Champions League Final, every Superbowl, all of those weekends with both the MLB/NHL playoffs in full swing, every first weekend of March Madness, heck every weekend during football season when both football and soccer season are in full swing.

Archived