Brewer Fanatic

2011-07-23 Brewers (Wolf) at Giants (Vogelsong) - [Brewers lose, 4-2]

Bill: "Walks will score often than hits"

That would be a very interesting tidbit of information if you didn't just completely make it up. Hell common sense tells you that it's just nonsense. But hey, he's the expert.

"I understand what Bill is saying with walks scoring more than hits"

Please clue me in then because I have no idea.

This is one of those "it seems like a lead-off walk always comes back to bite a pitcher" type of thoughts and it seems to Bill that a walk somehow psychologically alters a pitcher's mind moreso than a base hit.

According to your quote, he never mentioned "lead-off" (unless it was implied) but maybe I'm really fishing for something to help me understand his twisted logic.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bill: "Walks will score often than hits"

That would be a very interesting tidbit of information if you didn't just completely make it up. Hell common sense tells you that it's just nonsense. But hey, he's the expert.

"I understand what Bill is saying with walks scoring more than hits"

Please clue me in then because I have no idea.
Just spitballing a reason why someone might suggest that. A walk usually happens when a pitcher´s control is not as fine tuned as it should be. Therefore...a pitcher who begins an inning with a walk is potentially more likely to miss his locations to the hitter in ways that could lead to more runs.

I don´t actually believe that to be the case...but it might be the reasoning that is being followed by Bill. I would be curious, over the history of the game, if there is any quantifiable difference in the percentage of time a single to lead off an inning scores, and a walk to lead an inning scores. In order to make it mean anything, I would add that we should solely focus on situations where the same pitcher who gave up the walk/single to begin the inning is the one who pitching when either the third out is made or the runner on first scores.

Bill its not too close to take, its too close to swing
Gameday had in on the corner for a strike
Fox had it 2 inches outside. The point is if its a 50/50 call between a walk and a K that's better odds than putting the ball in play.

Right, but if you've been watching the game. That hasn't been called a strike all night. In fact, the Giants pitching coach was tossed for arguing over a called ball that was even closer to the strike zone than that last one to Braun.

Right, but if you've been watching the game. That hasn't been called a strike all night. In fact, the Giants pitching coach was tossed for arguing over a called ball that was even closer to the strike zone than that last one to Braun.
I know, but it was infact too close to take since it was a strike

Archived