Brewer Fanatic

Amy Winehouse Found Dead

Point Beer Is Best

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I feel for the family. From what I recall, the dad really wanted her to clean up. And she didn't seem all that interested in doing so. maybe I'm wrong about that though.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

not surprised at all. Never heard her music or anything so no big loss to me. Don't mean to sound crass but I only knew her from tabloid garbage.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Wow, only 27. Unfortunately, it seems like this was pretty much an unavoidable end. Has any one hit wonder ever gotten so much publicity?
She had a hit? I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just pretty out of the pop music loop and I knew the name but I don't think I've ever heard anything she has done.

'Rehab' was pretty big a few summers ago. I remember because I was in the process of getting a root canal and heard it several times in my dentist's office during appointments. I'd certainly never heard of her before that, but I'm not exactly the go to guy when it comes to newer music either.

Wow, only 27. Unfortunately, it seems like this was pretty much an unavoidable end. Has any one hit wonder ever gotten so much publicity?
She had a hit? I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just pretty out of the pop music loop and I knew the name but I don't think I've ever heard anything she has done.

Her album Back to Black is outstanding, honestly. "Rehab" was very chart-friendly, but the album as a whole was much deeper imo & very much legit.

Very sad to hear of her death, but as has been mentioned, not surprising.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Toolivebrew...so she was a singer? I've only heard of her in news headlines and on the celeb gossip shows my girlfriend watches. I kind of figured she was a pretend celeb like the Kardashians

She had a rare blues rock voice......her fans compare her favorably to Janis Joplin and Bonnie Raitt

I will lose the snarkiness, but I am truly shocked that people were not familiar with her

I heard only small doses of her music, but I'd agree. She didn't really look how she sounded- after I heard the song, I was surprised to see that she was a youngish English girl.

I'm in a dead pool on another website, and had her in my list of 10. Can't help but feel a little dirty that I 'predicted' the death of a 27 year old, and it actually happened.

It's hard to feel bad for the individuals that put themselves on these paths, but at the same time, it's certainly devastating for the family and friends. All you can do is wonder how a young life could have been saved here, if someone had stepped in more firmly or something.

RIP certainly applies here, because it would seem peace is something that was certainly lacking in her life.

While this is certainly a shame, I think its pretty ridiculous that people are comparing her to Hendrix, Morrison, Cobain and Joplin, just because they all OD'd at 27 (yes, I realize Cobain didn't OD). She had one top-ten hit, and it was essentially a novelty song. I doubt there were too many people that didn't know who any of the other members of "Club 27" were when they died, and that was before the internet. Five years from now, no one will remember Amy Winehouse.

Five years from now, no one will remember Amy Winehouse.

Her family will.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

i wouldn't quite classify her among forgettable pop sensations like Britney Spears or Taylor Swift. she had a unique voice and was one of the few singers helping to popularize a very interesting style of jazz-pop music. she wasn't exactly Hendrix, but if a person only ever listened to 1940s music when Hendrix was around, then i'm sure they would have said he was a forgettable flash-in-the-pan, too. I liken Winehouse to a Lauren Hill in their relative impact on the music world, popularity and short tenures.

While this is certainly a shame, I think its pretty ridiculous that people are comparing her to Hendrix, Morrison, Cobain and Joplin, just because they all OD'd at 27 (yes, I realize Cobain didn't OD). She had one top-ten hit, and it was essentially a novelty song. I doubt there were too many people that didn't know who any of the other members of "Club 27" were when they died, and that was before the internet. Five years from now, no one will remember Amy Winehouse.
I will definitely remember her. Back to Black is one of my favorite albums, probably number one. I'm genuinely saddened by her death.

I liken Winehouse to a Lauren Hill in their relative impact on the music world, popularity and short tenures.

Who?

One of the more popular/critically acclaimed female musicians of the last 15 or so years.

Archived