Brewer Fanatic

Nyjer Morgan's "Altercation" with SF Fans during Friday's Game

Bombers
Wow, let's take a step back for a moment. I'm shocked that more than one person here has no problem with a MLB player publicly flipping the bird during a game. Do you REALLY feel that way, seriously?

(I'm not saying Morgan did that last night, I'm just responding to those who are saying they don't care if he did, or would do that in the future.)

If it were true I'd have no problem with it. Lots of fans are complete jerks and deserve it. Not to mention I think getting worked up about a gesture or word just because it is deemed "naughty" by some is a waste of time.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, let's take a step back for a moment. I'm shocked that more than one person here has no problem with a MLB player publicly flipping the bird during a game. Do you REALLY feel that way, seriously?

(I'm not saying Morgan did that last night, I'm just responding to those who are saying they don't care if he did, or would do that in the future.)

If it were true I'd have no problem with it. Lots of fans are complete jerks and deserve it. Not to mention I think getting worked up about a gesture or word just because it is deemed "naughty" by some is a waste of time.

Ok, there it is. Its fine for a player to flip off fans. If thats how some of you feel, I doubt I'll change your mind. You do realize though that the commissioner wouldn't be fine with it.

Maybe it was just a sloppy T he was throwing up, his post game comments (as Tony Plush - not Nyjer Morgan) seem to indicate otherwise.

I'm surprised more people don't have a problem with him doing it because of the possible consequences - not necessarily the action itself. I think we can all agree that type of behavior at least runs the risk of a possible suspension considering his history. With that risk in mind, and his backups now being Kotsay/Carroll rather than Gomez........ I think it's 10,000 x's more important he keeps his mouth shut.

and now Nyjer seems to be enjoying his moment a bit too much and gets thrown out trying to steal 3rd with Braun at the plate....... head in the game, ignore the fans nyjer.

I'll agree that Morgan comes across (to me at least) as a little oblivious to the possible consequences of his actions. Even if they are generally good-natured and playful. I don't think what he did (referring to all his interactions with the fans, not specifically the T) was smart, but I thought it was in no way wrong, immoral, obscene, warranting a suspension or fine, etc.

Wow, let's take a step back for a moment. I'm shocked that more than one person here has no problem with a MLB player publicly flipping the bird during a game.

The guy DID NOT flip the bird during the game. He made the "two outs" sign with his fingers while doing the "up yours" with his arms. Stupid but not worth the crying.

Heck, Brian Wilson's bit interpolates X-Pac's "SUCK IT!" so I'm not sure where Giants fans get off trying to take the high road, as dumb as some of Nyjer's bits might be.

Anyway, Nyjer didn't just become crazy and dumb when he joined the Brewers: he was born here and raised over the Bridge in Mill Valley: look in the mirror, SF.

Anyway, Nyjer didn't just become crazy and dumb when he joined the Brewers: he was born here and raised over the Bridge in Mill Valley: look in the mirror, SF.

Nice of you to call him dumb and crazy. In that context, I can't blame players for anything they say to the fans because fans have no problem insulting the players.

There are no verifiable reports that he siad anything obscene or made any obscene gestures.

He did make an obscene gesture. It is on video. 45 second mark.

Grunching:

He didn't flip the bird. He has his pinky and pointer fingers extended, like a "hook'em horns" sign. I would presume he is emphatically signaling that there are two outs.

The guy DID NOT flip the bird during the game.

He didn't flip the bird

Nobody on this forum has said he flipped the bird. Read the thread. Some people said they didn't care if Morgan did flip off the fans.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I love Nyjer's antics. And I'd bet that most fans do, too, even when he's "messing with them." He injects some unexpected fun into a game that, while I love it, does tend to take itself too seriously for its own good. I don't think that he flipped fans off, and it would have been totally inappropriate if he had. But a little harmless heckling is good for fan experience. To be a fan, and to be noticed and interacted with by a player on the field is pretty powerful, and I'm glad we have a guy with that kind of character on our team. It doesn't seem to negatively impact his on-field performance. In fact, the freedom he has to screw around in Milwaukee actually seems to be helping him maximize his potential.

Let Nyjer be a loose cannon!

Can we all at least agree that Nyjer HAS to be in the sausage race at some point?
He pretty much has to be the Chorizo, right? Known for its zestly flavor, but really a sausage that doesn't get the respect it deserves around the Wisconsin sausage eating community. Really he's more of a Spanish Chorizo than a Mexican Chorizo though. When he's on your side he's wonderful but when something goes wrong he'll give you a gut ache, just like a poorly cured Spanish Chorizo.

Corey Hart would have to race as a Slim Jim.

Pinky and forefinger extended (as other's have said '2 outs'), even under the arm the way he did it is hardly 'obscene'. Was it meant to incite, and could it be construed as offensive? Possibly. Obscene? That's a HUGE stretch.
Intentional or not it was an "up yours" gesture. It can be considered an obscene gesture. Maybe you don't, but others do.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Pinky and forefinger extended (as other's have said '2 outs'), even under the arm the way he did it is hardly 'obscene'. Was it meant to incite, and could it be construed as offensive? Possibly. Obscene? That's a HUGE stretch.
Intentional or not it was an "up yours" gesture. It can be considered an obscene gesture. Maybe you don't, but others do.
I don't find a split second obscene gesture offensive, and I don't see the harm if it wasn't captured on TV. I've heard and observed much more obscene things from fans generally several times over each time I've been to Miller Park. If they did get flipped 'the bird', I'm sure that they deserved it.

Right or wrong (and I believe he did nothing wrong) this will cost Nyjer. He's put a target on his back that fans in other cities will pick up on. It has the potential to be a distraction and the Brewers really can't afford that because they're not good enough. There will always be a debate between those who think it's fun and those who think it's childish--it's the nature of the beast. But one thing is sure, everyone reaps what they sow. If it is really harmless, then no harm will come. But if T-Plush is really meant to stick it to others it will be stuck back.

That's how I feel, more or less. It doesnt matter if fans "deserved it" or not. You can't have a professional player in any sport getting into these situations with fans. It's just not productive (at best), and at worst it can lead to suspensions, distractions, etc. Put another way, there's no good that can come out of it, so why do it?

I also rememeber a game about a month ago where Morgan was chatting it up with fans while he was in the on deck circle. Again, just not very smart. I love Morgan's energy, production, and yes even his Plushisms. What's not to love? He just has to draw the line there and not engage with fans during a game. Usually it's just playful, but he' starting to take it too far.

He's done it before, but not that I'd seen so blatantly right at fans. I believe that's actually an optical illusion -- the gesture is pointer finger extended iirc. Of course I can't go find a nice screencap to prove it, just my memory. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I thought he sticks his thumb out, too. Hopefully someone else will be able to explain what I'm trying to say, as I'm sure failing.

EDIT: Here we go, Yahoo's Big League Stew MLB blog has a better look at it:

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/dc/dc863d35569cffc8e196440b929c834f/nyjer_morgan_flashes_controversial_hand_gesture_towards_giants_fans.jpg

At first, many believed that Morgan had flipped the middle finger in

their direction. I know that's what I thought I saw upon first look. But

as the pictures show, that wasn't the case. Instead, it appears he was

making a "T" symbol with his arms, as he often does in an homage to the

T-Plush side of his personality, while simultaneously signaling two

outs.

EDIT 2: I do believe that this was a mock flipping of the bird, & not that he was making a "T" with his arms. Definitely makes me think of Spaceballs as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Judge for yourself. I see no pinky extended or thumb extended. Looks like the bird to me

Look at the live video from the other angle. It's posted upthread. The still does not tell the whole story. It may be worse than the still that somebody posted of the hot blonde in Arizona in that regard.

People posting these pictures are ridiculous. Did anyone actually watch the game? They showed him front and center, and he was doing the typical "two outs" gesture with pinky and forefinger. It was plain as day on FSN. Then he did the "throwin up the T" thing after that, also clear to see on the FSN broadcast. And if anyone actually watches any other games where Nyjer is playing, he always makes that gesture. When he doesn't have his glove on he makes the T with his hands, but he does it with his arms when he's in the field.

I try to ignore the SF Idiots side of this story, but people coming on here with pictures of a bogus side angle makes me irritated.

Verified Member

Fat people in tank tops are much more obscene than what Nyjer did and you can't look anywhere in the ballpark in SF without seeing that..

Archived