Brewer Fanatic

Nyjer Morgan's "Altercation" with SF Fans during Friday's Game

Bombers

Yesterday on the drive home from PHX, I read an article about the hecklers in the LF bleachers at AT&T park in the latest ESPN Magazine. It seems like they can't take a player giving back to them. The article puts these fans in this glowing spotlight of being awesome fans that love to get under players' skins. So Nyjer makes a great catch at the wall and taunts them back and they can't take it? And anybody that wants to think they saw the "bird" will believe they saw the "bird", especially when they are 30-40 ft. away or further.

This is a complete non-story. Well, it should be anyways.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since the Posey thing, I'm starting to hate the Giants and their fans more than the Cubs. Never thought that was possible. As for Morgan, I like the fact that there is someone on the team who would charge the mound if they thought they got drilled on purpose- as opposed to putting head down and running to first (Braun and most of the rest of the team), talking tough and waiting to get held back (Weeks) or looking for the guy 'under the stands' (Prince).
I agree about Giants fans. This is getting pretty ridiculous. It's amazing to see the parallels with the Cardinals (see: McGwire, Mark; Bonds, Barry).

As for charging the mound, I'm happy Braun and Weeks haven't yet. I'd rather see them do damage with their bats than their fists. If Plush gets on base via a HBP, the best punishment would be steals of second and third, and home plate on a passed ball.

What he was doing certainly wasn't "ok" imo, but it's all pretty harmless. He's kind of a tool, but he's our tool so it's amusing.
I think that sums up pretty well how I feel. I like what Morgan does in the field production wise but could really do without some of the antics.

I see the glove on the inside of the elbow and raising his other hand as an "up yours gesture." I can see why fans or others would see it as derogatory gesture. Not quite as bad as flipping the bird but not good either.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yesterday on the drive home from PHX, I read an article about the hecklers in the LF bleachers at AT&T park in the latest ESPN Magazine. It seems like they can't take a player giving back to them. The article puts these fans in this glowing spotlight of being awesome fans that love to get under players' skins. So Nyjer makes a great catch at the wall and taunts them back and they can't take it? And anybody that wants to think they saw the "bird" will believe they saw the "bird", especially when they are 30-40 ft. away or further.

This is a complete non-story. Well, it should be anyways.

Come on man - Morgan should keep his mouth shut, plain and simple. There is zero excuse for a pro-athlete to start jawing with a fan - during the middle of a game mind you - in this day and age. If anybody should know better, it's Morgan himself who once got suspended by MLB for something with the fans.

I've loved watching the guy play - but I've been waiting for this as well. I know he is the toast of Mil-town right now - or at least t-plush is - but let's be honest here guys, if Alfonso Soriano came in and made a great catch down the line and then started jawing with fans and making hand signals at them............. probably wouldn't sit too well with some on here. As someone else said, he should cool it on the road - it's one thing to put on the show at home with the alter ego, it's another to rile up other fans with it.

Last thing we need is something to escalate from something as stupid to this and have it lead to a bean ball war or brawl (last thing we need is morgan getting plunked and charging - see Washington last year) and end up having it lead to an injury or suspension for one of the key guys.

I reject any hypothetical in which Soriano makes a good play in the outfield.

I don't see what Morgan did wrong. I think it's pretty clear what he did was in reply to being ribbed out there and he probably thought it was just a playful "How do you like me now?" reply. There are no verifiable reports that he siad anything obscene or made any obscene gestures.

It's funny how we rail on umpires for "making themsleves a bigger part of the game than they should be" when umpires are in fact a part of the game, yet fans can seemingly do whtever they want so long as they don't go onto the field or throw something onto the field and we tell the players that they just have to deal with it. Looks to me like this was a situation where the fans were giving it, but couldn't take it, and in fact made themselves out to be victims.

I'm not a fan of shwoing off and the like at all, But the way Morgan has gone about what he does in this particular season is about as benign and acceptable as it gets. Even without a minor fandom dog in the fight I'd be on Morgan's side in this situation. The fact that we're even bothering to alk about it tends to support what I wrote in my last post on this thread.

I'd be upset over a visiting player over doing something like Morgan did last night, but Giants fans are very toolish. Almost no doubt he will do something else on the field this weekend that will offend their sensibilities. Cardinals West.

I reject any hypothetical in which Soriano makes a good play in the outfield.

I don't see what Morgan did wrong. I think it's pretty clear what he did was in reply to being ribbed out there and he probably thought it was just a playful "How do you like me now?" reply. There are no verifiable reports that he siad anything obscene or made any obscene gestures.

It's funny how we rail on umpires for "making themsleves a bigger part of the game than they should be" when umpires are in fact a part of the game, yet fans can seemingly do whtever they want so long as they don't go onto the field or throw something onto the field and we tell the players that they just have to deal with it. Looks to me like this was a situation where the fans were giving it, but couldn't take it, and in fact made themselves out to be victims.

I'm not a fan of shwoing off and the like at all, But the way Morgan has gone about what he does in this particular season is about as benign and acceptable as it gets. Even without a minor fandom dog in the fight I'd be on Morgan's side in this situation. The fact that we're even bothering to alk about it tends to support what I wrote in my last post on this thread.

First line had me spit my drink out - thanks for that one http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm not really trying to say what Morgan did was wrong - but in the year 2011, what good can come from giving it back to the fans on the road? Is there any possible positive outcome to that situation? He also kept jawing after his first comments towards them...... so it wasn't just a quick comment towards them. Morgan already got suspended once for something with fan interaction - personally I would ignore all fans after that and as much as I enjoy T-Plush, I'd much rather see Morgan just focus on his game.

Yes, the whole thing is being blown up more than it should be - no doubt about that - but it's real simple, Morgan keeps his mouth shut and just plays the game........... there is nothing to blow up.

There are no verifiable reports that he siad anything obscene or made any obscene gestures.

He did make an obscene gesture. It is on video. 45 second mark.

Hadn't seen this before, I now take back my previous statements - what Morgan did was wrong and he probably should be sat for at least a game, and that's not to say that the fans didn't do anything wrong either - but Morgan get's paid a lot of money to be a professional, act like one. There is no place for that in the game in this day and age.

Whats worse, what Morgan did, which wasnt the middle finger(yes I know it was the up yours sign) or Pujols "itching his nose" towards the Cincy fans?

Again, people getting worked up by this is more obscene then the gesture. If you really have a problem with it, its more of a you problem then Morgans.

Verified Member
What worries me more than anything is that his focus isn't on the field. If he's paying attention to the stands then he isn't paying attention to what's going on on the field. Extreme focus is what defines professinal athletes. He's not acting professional and should keep his focus on the game.

Whats worse, what Morgan did, which wasnt the middle finger(yes I know it was the up yours sign) or Pujols "itching his nose" towards the Cincy fans?

Again, people getting worked up by this is more obscene then the gesture. If you really have a problem with it, its more of a you problem then Morgans.

This is true. As long as it isn't crystal clear on TV, I don't see the issue. I heard a lot worse from players in the bleachers at County Stadium back in the day.

There was stuff with the fans in the Fla/Was brawl he started last year as well. He also has the incident where MLB pulled back the suspension for throwing a ball at a fan....... 2 incidents in his past with fans and as minor as this might be, this is now a 3rd incident that is getting attention. The guy needs to just ignore fans and focus on the game - let your game do the talking.

You don't need to make the catch, say something to the fans, then gesture how many outs there are towards the fans............. then give them the F You sign............. then when they boo you, "conduct the orchestra" (see espn video).............. then jaw with them before you run off the field. Seriously, how can a Brewer fan NOT have a problem with him doing all that last night?

There was stuff with the fans in the Fla/Was brawl he started last year as well. He also has the incident where MLB pulled back the suspension for throwing a ball at a fan....... 2 incidents in his past with fans and as minor as this might be, this is now a 3rd incident that is getting attention. The guy needs to just ignore fans and focus on the game - let your game do the talking.

You don't need to make the catch, say something to the fans, then gesture how many outs there are towards the fans............. then give them the F You sign............. then when they boo you, "conduct the orchestra" (see espn video).............. then jaw with them before you run off the field. Seriously, how can a Brewer fan NOT have a problem with him doing all that last night?

I have no problem with it. He has done the "F You sign" if that's what you want to call it, before. Really found nothing wrong with it on my end. Who cares about conducting the orchestra or jawing. He's just playing along. None of it was done with maliciousness. He's just out there having fun in a "what else you got, you're not bugging me" sort of way.

I will say he has a past, but he has done nothing this season to indicate that he has been anything other than a model citizen. He is still fiery and always will be, but maybe he has learned to channel that and where in the past he would have blown up now he can conduct a symphony.

I will say he has a past, but he has done nothing this season to indicate that he has been anything other than a model citizen.

Yeah true, other than making obscene gestures to fans.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Again what he did is not an obscene gesture. It is on par with the motion off sliding the back of your fingers on your chin(see any mob movie/show) and in fact the meaning of second it more derogatory by Italian terms.

Not even close Jwill - what you described is discreet, he was not discreet about it at all, short of sticking your middle finger up at someone that is as close as it is to saying F you to someone.

Furthermore, with Gomez out, by making the gesture towards fans - With his history, you know MLB is going to look closely at that and considering he did a lot more after the gesture.......... it doesn't help his case - he puts the Brewers in a position where they may have to go 5+ games with Brett Carroll and Mark Kotsay in CF.

Sit there and tell me you still don't have a problem with it.

As long as he's not causing problems in the clubhouse, I couldn't really care less what he's gesturing to opposing fans. Some people have started comparing him to Milton Bradley which is totally off base as far as I'm concerned. Bradley was despised by his teammates. You'll have a hard time finding anyone who will say something bad about Morgan as a teammate.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I would call that gesture borderline offensive, but not really obscene. It is very similar to the grade school "suck it" gesture that kids used to do in the 4th grade lunch room.

Talking to the fans like that was stupid, but hopefully it will just blow over.

Archived