Brewer Fanatic

Nyjer Morgan's "Altercation" with SF Fans during Friday's Game

Bombers

Not sure if everyone say it but Nyjer threw up his T-Plush hand gesture and SF fans thought it was an obscene gesture. Giants players refused to talk about it after the game. Maybe they are going to hit him with a pitch today to stick up for their fans. The article says Morgan was boo'd for a straight inning in CF.

http://m.mlb.com/mil/news/article/2011072222150784/

Edited because I am an idiot and don't know how to spell the guys name

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, hopefully this little misunderstanding doesn't escalate against the San Francisco Cardinals. In defense of the SF fans, I probably would have thought it was some kind of gesture too; all the more reason for T-Plush to get his name out there!

the San Francisco Cardinals
Perfect.

For having the title belt, a lot of this fanbase locally sure gets caught up in a lot of whiny petty intrigues about "how to play the game." Some real wet diapers.

Their announcers and players are fine though (when they're not drilling players in ST of course).

Community Moderator
Morgan needs to tone it down a bit on road games. Arizona fans were too listless to care but his gestures were bound to tick off some fans eventually. Yes, the original gesture was harmless, but Morgan continued to stare back at the stands and make additional gestures for the rest of the inning. That's unacceptable, he can't let the fans get in his head.

To me, it appeared for awhile before the "incident" that Morgan was getting jawed at, he was looking back in the stands quite a bit. I never got the impression though that they were under his skin and that he wasn't just rolling with it. And I never thought for a second that he flipped off the fans, but that's what the Giants fans seem to believe through and through.

Fans seem to give Morgan a lot of crap and he doesn't always drown it out, I'm remembering seeing him jaw with a fan from the on deck circle at Miller Park, I think against the Cubs. However, I haven't seen him lose his temper over it this year at all.

I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion, and there are some very not nice things being said on some Giants boards.

Screw the Giants fans and screw their media. The guy didn't do anything out of line.

Even when they were on him post "gesture," all he did was nod his head and look back at them. He raised his hands to say, "yea bring it on."

I don't have any problem with what he did. I can see how without seeing the replay some could think what he did was obscene, but if you look at the replay its obvious what he did.

Nijer wasn't out of line, but if fans thought he delivered the finger, he's going to have to be more careful.

It kind of surprised me when a reporter asked Roenicke if he thought a fine was in order. It's hard to hear the questions in the post-game press conferences, but she must have thought he gave the finger, too.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

the San Francisco Cardinals
Perfect.

For having the title belt, a lot of this fanbase locally sure gets caught up in a lot of whiny petty intrigues about "how to play the game." Some real wet diapers.

Their announcers and players are fine though (when they're not drilling players in ST of course).

Or when not asking Bill Hall what his role was in the infamous home plate bomb celebration in 2009.

You really have to be hoping to see something to think he is giving the middle finger. In the last link the writer says to zoom in and you can clearly see the middle finger. He is correct, you can clearly see his middle finger, bent over over while making the "two outs" sign.

Well, maybe they'll really show him the right way to play and put one in his back. Which is fine because then it gives us a base runner.

As long as he doesn't go off like he did against Florida then its all good.

I was curious about that. What if Vogelsong plunks him in the 1st inning?

Should Wolf hit someone next inning? Should Plush rush the mound?

There really is no reason for them to hit him, so would either of those reactions be out of line should the Giants decide to do something uncalled for and hit Plush?

The title of this thread should be corrected so that Morgan's name is spelled correctly. Seeing Nyjer spelled with a "g" bugs me.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I just tweeted the writers of those sbnation articles, and one of them replied right away saying he just watched a different angle and will change the article. Maybe the SF feed didn't show it as clearly as FS Wisconsin?

Maybe the SF feed didn't show it as clearly as FS Wisconsin?
At first glance it looked like the bird, but they replayed it so often on the post-show (and they reiterated it was the "two outs" sign) that I don't know how anyone could think otherwise at this point. Nyjer said all the right things in the post-game interview: he's from here, grew up a Giants' fan, enjoys going back and forth with the fans, etc etc, but I still think it was a pretty dumb thing for him to do and get caught up in.

That said, spare me any indignant outrage about this and especially the bowling ball celebration.

Check this stuff out. Apparently they think he gave them the middle finger.

Fwiw, I thought he gave them a mock flipped bird as well. What he was doing certainly wasn't "ok" imo, but it's all pretty harmless. He's kind of a tool, but he's our tool so it's amusing.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Since the Posey thing, I'm starting to hate the Giants and their fans more than the Cubs. Never thought that was possible. As for Morgan, I like the fact that there is someone on the team who would charge the mound if they thought they got drilled on purpose- as opposed to putting head down and running to first (Braun and most of the rest of the team), talking tough and waiting to get held back (Weeks) or looking for the guy 'under the stands' (Prince).

Same fan base that defended Barry Bonds almost to the death? OK.

Some guys are hiney-holes in terms of what they do to just draw attention to themselves. Other guys are good-natured and playful. To a large degree way too many folks have lost the ability to differentiate, in large part because too many benefit from turning everything into a "controversy".

Archived