Brewer Fanatic

2011-07-22 Brewers (Marcum) at Giants (Cain) - [Brewers win, 4-2]

pmallon]
theavrock]
azcheesehead[/b]]
You don't use him in every situation he is available because then at some point in time he isn't going to be available.

Like I said. I don't think its a terrible situation to use him in. I just think you let Shaun start the inning and if anyone gets on base you bring him in. No need to burn him with Marcum cruising when who knows when we are going to need him next.

We don't know what the long term plan is. They may ride the k-rod/axford duo for a couple of weeks. Rest everyone else until August. At that point maybe he starts letting the starters go deeper. Like I said if they keep pitching like this it is hard not to save everyone else at the expense of two guys. It is a good problem to have to say the least because it means they are all pitching well.

Two factors that make me believe Marcum should have been pulled, while I felt strongly Narvy should have been kept in:

1) KRod/Ax didn't pitch yesterday and have Monday off. So they should be fresh over the next few days.

2) Narvy was cruising more than Marcum, who was giving up a lot of fly balls the last couple innings, including a HR and near HR.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
theavrock[/b]]You don't use him in every situation he is available because then at some point in time he isn't going to be available.

Like I said. I don't think its a terrible situation to use him in. I just think you let Shaun start the inning and if anyone gets on base you bring him in. No need to burn him with Marcum cruising when who knows when we are going to need him next.

We don't know what the long term plan is. They may ride the k-rod/axford duo for a couple of weeks. Rest everyone else until August. At that point maybe he starts letting the starters go deeper. Like I said if they keep pitching like this it is hard not to save everyone else at the expense of two guys. It is a good problem to have to say the least because it means they are all pitching well.

Two factors that make me believe Marcum should have been pulled, while I felt strongly Narvy should have been kept in:

1) KRod/Ax didn't pitch yesterday and have Monday off. So they should be fresh over the next few days.

2) Nrcy was cruising more than Marcum, who was giving up a lot of fly balls the last couple innings, including a HR and near HR.

RR is in a no win situation. He lets Narv in and Narv blows up like he seems to do we get after him for that. At this point in the season I subscribe to if you warm a guy up you use him. I think that helps keep everyone a little more fresh. You got more than you expected at that point out of Narv and Marcum. Use the weapons you have and get the win. Which RR seems to think involves K-rod/Axford duo. Right now it is very hard to argue with given the results (Wins and rest for and over worked bullpen prior to the K-rod trade).

Second question of Bochy's presser (asked by Gwen Knapp, I think) was about Nyjer's gesture to the fans (Bochy brushed it off, said he didn't see it and seemed irritated, not sure with the question or Nyjer)

Yeah, they're gonna make hay out of it here

RR is in a no win situation. He lets Narv in and Narv blows up like he seems to do we get after him for that. At this point in the season I subscribe to if you warm a guy up you use him. I think that helps keep everyone a little more fresh. You got more than you expected at that point out of Narv and Marcum. Use the weapons you have and get the win. Which RR seems to think involves K-rod/Axford duo. Right now it is very hard to argue with given the results (Wins and rest for and over worked bullpen prior to the K-rod trade).

I brought that same point up the other night. He can't win no matter what he does.

Yuni doesn't speak English?
He is from Cuba.
I know that.....but usually vets can speak some English.
I believe it's been said he understands English, but it's one of those situations where he isn't comfortable speaking it, at least in an interview format. Don't want things misunderstood/lost in translation.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I have zero problem with pulling Marcum after 7. Let's not forget that he's not far removed from his hip flexor injury. He had thrown 90 pitches, seemed to be giving a little ground possibly at the end there, so you might as well get a fresh Rodriguez in there.

Archived