Brewer Fanatic

Are situational errors ignored?

rickh150

If I had to give RR a grade, it would be high. He seems very likable, willing to calmly explain his views and rationale for making moves. He seems to be a thinker, which is good. Also, we're in first place and most of the guys seem to enjoy playing in Milwaukee and for this manager. Yet, what puzzles me is the stuff that happens on the field lately. Here's a list from the current road trip:

1. McGehee and Betancourt swinging 3-0

2. Morgan/Weeks taking off for 3rd when the ball is hit to short

3. Betancourt caught stealing at 3rd for the 3rd out

4. Weeks running through stop sign at 3rd

Now, there is more that have been corrected this season like getting thrown out at home with no outs. That is much better. Yet, I'm not hearing questions posed to RR by reporters on what is said or told, if anything, to these players who mess up from time to time. Everyone makes errors and mental mistakes, but I don't like losing for not being smart. When is it ever ok for a .220 hitter with a few HR to swing 3-0? When is it ok for a non stolen base threat to steal 3rd with 2 outs?

I would like to know what is being done behind closed doors, if anything. Not the specifics, but just if things were handled. That question needs to be posed to our manager. It is THAT important . I can't emphasize it enough. Are these major blunders being ignored and forgotten, being chalked up in the "oh well" column, or are these situations being talked about, dealt with individually? Is there a 10 minute meeting with individuals, quizzing them on situations that come up during the game? Are things being taught? In lower levels of baseball, a kid could be told to sit the rest of the game for swinging 3-0 or not following your 3rd base coach. My hope is that these errors are at least being talked about in the clubhouse and not simply ignored. I don't want these things costing us the division.

Swinging on 3-0 was likely an attempt to boost the confidence of a slumping player, by giving them a swing at what would likely be a get-me-over fastball. I think the green light came from RR. The rest are basic fundamentals that the players in question should hear about.

I would like to know what is being done behind closed doors, if anything. Not the specifics, but just if things were handled. That question needs to be posed to our manager. It is THAT important . I can't emphasize it enough. Are these major blunders being ignored and forgotten, being chalked up in the "oh well" column, or are these situations being talked about, dealt with individually? Is there a 10 minute meeting with individuals, quizzing them on situations that come up during the game? Are things being taught? In lower levels of baseball, a kid could be told to sit the rest of the game for swinging 3-0 or not following your 3rd base coach. My hope is that these errors are at least being talked about in the clubhouse and not simply ignored. I don't want these things costing us the division.

No, it's not that important for reporters to ask him that. There's no need for the media to grill the manager on every mistake or perceived mistake. While I don't know what goes on in the clubhouse, I think it's safe to assume that if a player makes a mistake, the coaches discuss it with him or with the team. Sometimes it's probably not even necessary to talk about it, as I'm sure most of the time, the player knows he screwed up.

If I had to give RR a grade, it would be high. He seems very likable, willing to calmly explain his views and rationale for making moves. He seems to be a thinker, which is good.
Please describe. The only thing I could see him "thinking" about is going to a 5 man IF and shifts. But then he still goes to designated 8th inning guy (was Loe, now KRod) no matter what, ignoring matchups. That's not so much of a problem now with KRod but it definitely was with Loe. He also for awhile would play Kotsay no matter what as the first OF in the game off the bench and uses Counsell as the first PH (cuz he's a veteran despite being 0 for the last 6 weeks). I just see him making more moves because he has designated roles for guys rather than making moves based off of analysis. And the analysis he does use is stuff like Kotsay getting a start because he is 4-12 against a certain pitcher.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

No, it's not that important for reporters to ask him that. There's no need for the media to grill the manager on every mistake or perceived mistake. While I don't know what goes on in the clubhouse, I think it's safe to assume that if a player makes a mistake, the coaches discuss it with him or with the team. Sometimes it's probably not even necessary to talk about it, as I'm sure most of the time, the player knows he screwed up.
I totally agree with this.

I'd much rather the "grilling," be with regard to bringing up Taylor Green, or things of that nature.

I don't need RR grilled when Weeks goes to third when he clearly knows he made a mistake.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived