Brewer Fanatic

Gomez breaks his collarbone; Brett Carroll's contract purchased -- Latest: Carroll elects free agency

He might be AAAA in terms of hitting, but his defense is absolutely top-caliber for MLB.
So we're replacing Carlos Gomez with someone resembling Carlos Gomez.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think backup outfielder is something this team needs to make a trade for.

Agreed. We have plenty of OF in AAA who I would take a look at before trading for a backup OF:

-Carroll (.825 OPS) and Boggs (.819 OPS) can play any OF postion

-Gindl (.838 OPS) can play LF/RF

-Katin (.938 OPS) - I believe he's still injured

-Plus Gamel (.978 OPS) and even Almonte (.870 OPS) can play corner OF in a pinch.

If none of these guys pan out, then we should look for a replacement. Otherwise, we should focus our attention on SS/3B.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So we're replacing Carlos Gomez with someone resembling Carlos Gomez.

Yeah, I had that thought as I was typing that post, actually. The only thing Carroll doesn't match is speed.

No doubt an upgrade over Chris D. then, right?

Headshot!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maybe this will ripple thru the minors. Nashville is short on OFs now.

Komatsu to AAA and Khris Davis to AA? Maybe?

DM: are you listening?

Apparently he listened. Davis was promoted but Schafer, not Komatsu, went to AAA.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Gomez was certainly stellar in the outfield and his diving catches were something of a joy to watch. However, do some think his technique must change and might have contributed to the injury? That's not to say there is necessarily a technique to diving last minute, but that "barrel roll thing" is something he's done two or three times now and didn't seem necessary either time. A normal layout with your chest absorbing the impact and keeping your arms outstretched seems like a less chance of an injury rather than the double barrel roll tucking your arm and the shoulder absorbing impact?

Nah, I think it was just a fluke. He could have broken his collar bone or hurt himself in another way if he just laid out for the ball. The somersault helps him avoid a full impact - it just happened that he landed just so, resulting in the injury.

Surgery is getting more common for collarbones. Surgery will in fact speed up his recovery time. It allows the trainers/therapists to start motion and strengthening much earlier. This allows him to keep his strength and endurance up so that he can start baseball related activities much earlier. If he didnt have surgery they would have to wait until the fracture fragments healed before they started rehab.

• 2 weeks later...
Uh oh...according to Haudricourt, Brett Carroll will wear #15. Looks like Furcal is going to have to bargain for it when he comes to Milwaukee.

And in other news, Ben Sheets just bit his nails to the bone.

Not to mention Cecil Cooper.

And a busy few weeks for #15 since Hairston took it the day Carroll dropped it.

Sounds like Gomez thinks he'll be back more quickly than originally thought. I wish we had kept Carroll when we got Hairston. Second best will be Carlos making a speedy recovery allowing Hairston to (or forcing RR to let him) play more infield.

I think they are, but it would be unusual to appear in the playoffs without having game experience for a few months.

Gallardo.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

That's not quite right. Gallardo did pitch a game in September.

Then have Gomez pinch-run in the last inning of the season. Problem solved.

Archived