Brewer Fanatic

Gomez breaks his collarbone; Brett Carroll's contract purchased -- Latest: Carroll elects free agency

I just wanted to drop by and give some love to Gomez. I feel really bad for him. As a few of you have noted, Carlos has brought a tremendous passion to the game. No matter what was going on with his role, he was always the first guy to celebrate with teamates, was always hustling, and always smiling. I felt like his current role with the team was very valuable to us. So thanks Carlos!

Man, that ball last night that he got to was unreal. I don't think any other guy in the league could have got to that. He just flew! It's so fun watching him cover ground like that with such ease.

So do we have an official time table? I would have thought it would have been 4-6 weeks, unless it was a really bad break.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nyjer should start every game. This should not be close to a platoon situation.

http://www.baseball-refer...&year=Career&t=b

Nyjer's career split vs. lefties is .204/.293/.277. He's been (rightfully) sheltered from lefties this year, getting only 27 PA's against them, and hopefully it will stay that way

At least Gomez went out in style, that one catch was huge in helping to win another game. Hoping he can come back for the playoff roster. Even if he's not 100%, his legs should be. And having him on the playoff roster soley for pinch running would help.

As far as Carroll goes, I don't know the plan. If the platoon continues though I fear he'll be put in the #2 spot. If he does start vs LHP, Lucroy better be elevated to the #2 spot in the lineup.

I've actually broken my collarbone. I was as good as new in 4 weeks. I would think he'd be back by no later than mid September. His problem is going to be there will be no place to send him for a rehab assignment by then.

About 12 years ago I was having major back pain, so I went to the chiro and they did a full torso x-ray, and to my absolute surprise, found my right collarbone was cracked clean through, and had actually started to heal. He suspected it was a week or 2 old, and it got me light duty at work for a few weeks.

Unfortunately, I think we tend to equate things we can do in the real world with what a top-level athlete can do, and I think that's one of the issues here. Could a person return to normal duty after 3-4 weeks? Yeah, sure. Swing a bat, and play an athletic position like CF? Maybe not right away.

I might be just guessing here, but that's a possibility.

Danzig and TLB said it well. I've really started to like having Gomez around, and he has helped the team quite a bit in the role he's played lately. He got hurt making a play few could make, and I hope he's able to get fully healed and help the Brewers in the future, whether it's the end of this season or next year.

The "silver lining" is that we have some options at OF in AAA. Carroll's having a good season, and after reading And That's "strongest arm in the majors" post, I am truly excited to see him play.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Covers a lot of ground, cannon arm, below average to maaaybe average at the dish - I'll take it. This team needs a lot of defensive help.

Besides, as the RHB part of the platoon, he won't be in play much, but hopefully he'll be more likely to spell Hart and Braun than Kotsay.

A broken clavicle can take anywhere from 4-12 weeks to heal, plus any rehab time. Surgery is actually pretty rare. Gomez could be back by the end of August, or he could be done for the year. Tough to say right now.

FWIW, Charles Woodson did not have surgery on his broken clavicle suffered at the Super Bowl.

All morning I've had this song in my head, only at a slower, slightly more dirge-like tempo.?

"If a ball gets past me....just kidding, that doesn't happen!? Go-Gomez-Go!" ?? Thanks for playing hard, Carlos.?

?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thanks, Hawing.... my work productivity just dropped 37%, due to singing "Gomezzzzzz... baseball baseball... gomezzzz..."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

From Tom Haudricourt

I just contacted Melvin to ask if he would expand his trade inquiries to include a backup center fielder and he said "possibly." Considering how low-key Melvin usually is about trade intentions, I took that as a yes.

Carroll's splits vs. LHP this year: .291/.400/.512. I think he'll be fine in the role Gomez had. He might even give them a little more offense.

If he were to fail miserably, I think they'd be able to find a veteran platoon type like a Reed Johnson in an August waiver deal. With Morgan's success I don't see the need for an everyday guy. Beltran is in another category however. He'd push Hart to the pines vs. RHP, and be Morgan's platoon partner vs. LHP.

Really bummed about GoGo's injury. RR was right...he saved the game last night. Most of the issues with Gomez were due to where he was batting and how he was being used. Since he's been in the platoon his hitting can excel and his D is spectacular. The platoon with Plush has been a real strong point for the team.

Gomez could still play a role in September. He may be able to come back a little sooner as a PR or defender before he gets his stroke back.

I'd still look at a modified platoon with Plush. If Carroll's D is solid and he hits lefties better than Plush he should be out there. Plush is really suited to being a platoon player...which still gets him out there 70% of the time.

Carroll's career splits

Split G PA AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
vs RHP as RHB 98 180 157 31 7 1 1 13 13 47 .197 .287 .274 .560
vs LHP as RHB 69 139 126 27 6 2 4 15 8 36 .214 .281 .389 .669
Hey, aren't these McGehee's splits for 2011?

Carroll's career splits

Split G PA AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
vs RHP as RHB 98 180 157 31 7 1 1 13 13 47 .197 .287 .274 .560
vs LHP as RHB 69 139 126 27 6 2 4 15 8 36 .214 .281 .389 .669
Hey, aren't these McGehee's splits for 2011?

Actually McGehee would probably love to have those numbers, he has a .355 OPS vs. LH, and a .667 vs. RHP's this season.

like a Reed Johnson in an August waiver deal

JB, are really Reed Johnson's dad? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I'd prefer Chris Dickerson!

ok, that should be enough to completely derail this thread... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I would say "possibly" = "let's see hom Carroll does." Which is the right way to play this. Much like the 3B situation, why trade away talent when you may have the answer in house?
Except there's no indication Doug is taking that approach with 3B. But I don't want to derail this further.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived