Brewer Fanatic

Gomez breaks his collarbone; Brett Carroll's contract purchased -- Latest: Carroll elects free agency

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sure hope it's Boggs or someone capable of playing a passable CF. I don't want to see Kotsay in CF anymore. Morgan will get most of the starts anyway, we just need someone who can hit lefties and play average defense.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

he is struggling since his demotion, if they do bring up an OF, i'd like to see Gindl. I know that the players on the mets list probably won't be called up which may cause Gindl to be eliminated. Green would be a great call up, but the OF position would be weak.

Boggs is hitting .227 in AAA. I really rooted for Boggs in ST, and his big load of walks make for a very nice OBP. But I'm always rather hesitant when a guy's best (or even arguably only decent) trait when he has a bat in his hands is success by not swinging the bat.

I wonder if, short of a trade, and providing they bring up an OF, we don't see Gindl (.285 BA, .361 OBP) or esp. Brett Carroll (.278 BA, .353 OBP) before Boggs since production off the bench is such a high need for this year's Brewers.

Carroll plays phenomenal defense. When he's in the major leagues, he has the best throwing arm in the major leagues.

Great to hear

As soon as it was obvious that Gomez would be out a long time, i really wondered who would be brought up given Boggs struggles. With as poorly as Morgan hits vs lefties, i didn't want him playing everyday. I saw that Carroll was putting up solid numbers in AAA, especially vs righthanders, but i didn't know what his defense was like. If he can play good defense and just be half way decent at the plate vs righthanders, i'd be plenty fine with that.

A real bummer though about Gomez. This platoon in CF has been working

out fabulously, Gomez with an .821 OPS vs lefthanders and people can say

i'm over-exaggerating, but it's hard for me to envision many CF's in

baseball for awhile now who could/can cover ground out there faster than Gomez

can. When Carlos gets a head of steam going tracking a ball, the guy

looks almost Deion Sanders like in how incredibly fast he is. What an

athlete.

Gomez has been a very frustrating and at times a maddening player to

watch since we traded for him with his undisciplined approach at the

plate and the many baserunning brainfarts, but in his current

platoon/bench player role, he's finally been a real asset to the team

via his absolutely stellar defense when he starts, solid hitting vs

lefthanders, and then as a late inning defensive sub or pinch runner. I

never thought the day would come that i'd be this bummed to see him get

hurt.

I was devastated to see that Gomez injury. I really can't even believe I just typed that. Carlos's defense is just *that* good. Here's hoping Brett Carroll can bring some good defense with improved offense over Go-go.

Still sucks to lose Gomez, he fit pretty well with this team. Fitting, I guess, that he suffered the injury making yet another spectacular play on defense. Hang with 'em, Carlos.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would think that unless it's a very severe break that Gomez could be back at some point in September. The fact that he's broken it before could belie a more serious issue requiring a plate/surgery however. I love the way the guy plays, but his body takes a beating a la Jenkins.

I was devastated to see that Gomez injury. I really can't even believe I just typed that. Carlos's defense is just *that* good. Here's hoping Brett Carroll can bring some good defense with improved offense over Go-go.

Still sucks to lose Gomez, he fit pretty well with this team. Fitting, I guess, that he suffered the injury making yet another spectacular play on defense. Hang with 'em, Carlos.

Yea, besides his incredible defense and speed on the bases, Gomez also just seems to be a great teammate. I know that he's frustrated many Brewers fans since we traded for him, but one thing that never can be said is that he doesn't always play as hard as possible, and he really seems to care a lot about being able to help the team in any way possible.

Carlos frustrated me quite a bit early in the year when Roenicke was misusing Gomez in the two hole and with his brainfarts at times on the bases, but as the season has gone along, i found myself developing a real fondness for him as a player on the field, how hard he always plays, and how great he seems to interact with his teammates.

Assuming he doesn't get to big of a raise next season, i'd be perfectly fine rolling with a Plush/Gomez platoon against next year. Before this year started, i never thought CF could be the strength it's been, especially since Morgan got off the DL.

Yea, besides his incredible defense and speed on the bases, Gomez also just seems to be a great teammate. I know that he's frustrated many Brewers fans since we traded for him, but one thing that never can be said is that he doesn't always play as hard as possible, and he really seems to care a lot about being able to help the team in any way possible.

Carlos frustrated me quite a bit early in the year when Roenicke was misusing Gomez in the two hole and with his brainfarts at times on the bases, but as the season has gone along, i found myself developing a real fondness for him as a player on the field, how hard he always plays, and how great he seems to interact with his teammates.

Assuming he doesn't get to big of a raise next season, i'd be perfectly fine rolling with a Plush/Gomez platoon against next year. Before this year started, i never thought CF could be the strength it's been, especially since Morgan got off the DL.

agree with everything said. it was a thing of beauty to watch him run and loved his contagious passion, which has value.

Nyjer should start every game. This should not be close to a platoon situation.

RR should be fired if he plays Morgan against LHP. He has proven in his career that over the long haul, he is inept at hitting LHP. I love Morgan as much as the next guy, but this is similar to Loe facing lefties.

Archived