Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wed. 7/20 -- Updated: Josh Butler dodges another bullet, will be OK after line drive to the leg

Final: Nashville 10, @Iowa 2

Nashville Sounds

DES MOINES, Iowa - The Nashville Sounds recorded their third straight win over the division-rival Iowa Cubs, triumphing 10-2 on Wednesday evening at Principal Park.
The victory was the season-best fifth consecutive road win for Nashville (46-52), which has won seven of its last 10 contests overall.

Every Sounds position player contributed to the club's 16-hit effort except Wil Nieves (0-for-4), paced by three-hit, two-RBI efforts from Jordan Brown and Caleb Gindl. Mat Gamel also logged three knocks on the night.

Nashville's 10 runs in the contest were scored by nine different players; Brown scored twice on the evening.

Iowa second baseman D.J. LeMahieu put the home team on the board in the first when he belted his first career Triple-A home run, a two-run shot to center off Sounds starter Josh Butler. Tyler Colvin, who preceded LeMahieu with a double, also scored on the blast.

The Sounds rallied to grab a 3-2 lead with a three-run outburst in the top of the third inning against Cubs starter Jay Jackson.

Brett Carroll and Taylor Green put together back-to-back, one-out singles to put runners on the corners for Gamel, who put Nashville on the board with an RBI double to center. After Nieves popped out, Gindl ripped a two-run single to right to give the visitors the lead.

Butler left the game early due to injury for Nashville. He was carted off the field during the bottom of the fourth inning after Iowa catcher Chris Robinson smacked a line-drive single off the pitcher's lower right leg, which was immobilized on the field. It marked the second time this season that Butler departed a game early; he took a line drive off his head during an April 19th outing in New Orleans.

Nashville increased its advantage to 4-2 in the top of the fifth. Donovan Hand led off with a single to center, moved to second on Eric Farris' PCL-leading 11th sacrifice bunt of the year, and scored when Brown laced an RBI single to left, which extended the outfielder's hitting streak to nine games. He has driven in a run in six of his last seven contests.

The Sounds put the game on ice in the seventh, when they tacked on five more scores as the first seven batters of the frame all reached base against Cubs pitching. Nashville batted around in the inning to up its lead to 9-2.

Pinch-hitter extraordinaire Erick Almonte got the rally started when he plated Gindl (double) and Edwin Maysonet (bunt single) with a double to the wall in right-center that made it a 6-2 game and chased Jackson from the contest.

Justin Berg took over on the Iowa hill and was greeted by a Farris single before Brown doubled off the base of the wall in left-center to drive in Almonte for a 7-2 lead. The right-hander then issued consecutive walks to Carroll and Green, the second of which forced home Farris with Nashville's fourth run of the inning - all with no outs recorded.

Brown scored the Sounds' final run of the five-run seventh when he trotted home on Gamel's bases-loaded double play grounder.

Nashville tacked on the game's last run in the ninth when Brown scored on a bases-loaded sacrifice fly off the bat of Nieves to make it 10-2.

Sounds relievers retired the final 12 Cubs batters in order to close out the victory.

Milwaukee Brewers left-hander Mitch Stetter made his second rehab appearance for the Sounds by working a perfect bottom of the ninth, throwing 11 pitches in the frame.

Hand (2-4) picked up the win in relief of the injured Butler, working 2 1/3 scoreless frames for the Sounds.

Jackson (5-9) absorbed the loss for Iowa after surrendering seven runs on 10 hits over six-plus innings of work.

The Sounds will look to complete their second series sweep of the season when the teams wrap up the four-game set with a 7:05 p.m. finale on Thursday. Left-hander Sam Narron (4-4, 3.79) will take the hill for the Sounds to face Iowa right-hander Casey Coleman (3-2, 4.07).

Just awful luck this year for Butler. The recap makes it sound like he has a broken leg, unfortunately. It's great that Eric Farris leads the league in sac bunts and all, but it's a little perverse that he's doing it despite Don Money inexplicably batting him leadoff all year--imagine how many he'd have if he was batting 6th!

Gamel deserves a lot of credit for getting jerked up and down between the bigs and minors through his mid 20's and continuing to produce. He was 3-5 tonight with a double and walk. I have little doubt he'll be able to hit at the major league level with his quick bat. He just needs to play every day and not have to look over shoulder in turn making him over-eager. That will happen when Prince departs.

Kentrail Davis needs to get promoted to AA regardless of performance at some point. Braun and Cain were completely different players away from Brevard County. I don't think we should give up on him becoming a starter or dangle his name flippantly in trade proposals, yet.

And good to see some consistency from a couple Brewer pitching prospects.

I haven't given up on Kentrail, though I can see where people might get that impression from my post. I was just musing on our drafts and people's top 10 lists, I think he's only on 1? All 3 of those guys from the 2009 first round should be no doubt, no brainer, top 10 players, especially given the state of the system. It's not good when the very raw D'Vo is outperforming a #1 pick at the plate in less than 2 seasons.

Bold predictions typically aren't my thing but I do think D'Vo is going to eventually SLG .450+, if he can become more intelligent baseball wise, he could have a very nice career. Mostly it's stuff that should be easy to correct, just quit making bad outs on the bases and silly errors in the field.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars Drop Pitcher's Duel in Series Opener By John Windheim / Huntsville Stars

Huntsville, AL - Despite a three-hitter pitched by starter Wily Peralta over seven innings, the Huntsville Stars suffered their sixth straight home loss. They fell to the first-place Chattanooga Lookouts 3-1.

A ninth inning two-run homer by All-Star first baseman Scott Van Slyke gave the Lookouts the dramatic win. They had struck first in the fourth inning on a sacrifice fly by Van Slyke.

Hainley Statia tied the game at one with his first bomb of the year in the fifth inning. The Stars had a bases loaded chance in the sixth, but failed to plate a run. They had runners in scoring position in the eighth and ninth innings but both times were tagged out at third.

Peralta pitched a solid seven innings allowing just one run on three hits and a walk while striking out nine batters. Rob Wooten (2-1) took the loss in the ninth inning giving up the two-run blast.

Chattanooga starter Michael Antonini also pitched a solid game only giving up the home run through 6.2 innings, striking out seven batters. Josh Wall got the win in 1.1 innings of relief. Josh Lindblom picked up his 14th save of the season leaving two stranded in the ninth.

The Stars play game two on Bud Light Thirst-Aid Thursday to try and even the series with the Lookouts. RHP Kyle Heckathorn (0-0, 5.23 ERA) will make his third appearance at Double-A this season and be opposed by RHP Chris Withrow (3-5, 4.30 ERA). Thursday will also be the first full day of 'Car Survivor 2' presented by Jerry Damson Honda and can be viewed online at www.carsurvivor.com. For more information, call (256) 882-2562 or visit www.huntsvillestars.com.

Final: @AZL Brewers 5, AZL Indians 4

AZL Box Score

After the Indians scored three runs in the top of the 1st, the Brewers scratched & clawed their way back for the win. There must've been plenty of sweat involved, with a sweltering first-pitch temperature of 107 degrees!

After Brae Wright couldn't finish the first inning, Mike Francisco, Francisco Rivero, Manuel Ruiz, & Mitch Conner worked the remaining 8.1 innings. The quartet allowed just one more run collectively & gave the Brewers the chance to rally back for the W. Wright struck out the Indians' leadoff batter, & got the two-hitter to fly out to leftfield. However, a throwing error by third baseman Brandon Macias extended the inning & allowed the runner to advance to second base. Wright then allowed back-to-back singles, followed by another throwing error (this time by shortstop Renaldo Jenkins), and a walk... and that was the end of the day for Brae.

Francisco allowed a single to load the bases, but then got the final out of the 1st; he also worked a scoreless 2nd inning. Rivero struck out five, and allowed just two hits & one walk in his 2.1 shutout innings. Ruiz lived dangerously over 3.2 innings of work, striking out six, walking five, & allowing one hit & one run (unearned). In fact, none of the Indians' four runs were earned runs. Conner was able to work around two singles with two strikeouts to keep the Indians from tying the game in the 9th.

Macias atoned for his 1st inning error by going 3-3 with a home run, two RBI, & a walk. Jimmie Pharr had the unenviable task of catching in 100+ degree heat, but turned in a single & a double as a batter; he also threw out two of five basestealers. Hitaniel Arias & Matthew Franco each had two singles. Malcolm Dowell had a triple & one RBI on a fielder's choice grounder.

AZL Play-by-Play

The Brewers scored one in the 2nd, two in the 5th, & one in the 7th to take a 4-3 lead. After the Indians plated a run to tie things at 4-4 in the top half of the 8th, the Brewers managed to score once more to answer in the bottom half of the frame & take the lead:

AZL Brewers Bottom of the 8th
  • Jimmie Pharr doubles (3) on a fly ball to center fielder Luigi Rodriguez.
  • Jalen Harris flies out to right fielder Hunter Jones.
  • Rafael Homblert intentionally walks Brandon Macias.
  • Matthew Franco singles on a line drive to left fielder Mark Brown. Jimmie Pharr scores. Brandon Macias to 2nd.
  • With Renaldo Jenkins batting, Brandon Macias steals (6) 3rd base. Matthew Franco steals (2) 2nd base.
  • Renaldo Jenkins strikes out swinging.
  • Kevin Berard strikes out swinging.

Mitch Conner came on to try to record the save, and was able to get the job done... barely:

AZL Indians Top of the 9th
  • Pitcher Change: Mitchell Conner replaces Manuel Ruiz.
  • Luigi Rodriguez strikes out swinging.
  • Jorge Martinez singles on a ground ball to left fielder Matthew Franco.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Moisses Ramirez replaces Jorge Martinez.
  • With Robel Garcia batting, wild pitch by Mitchell Conner, Moisses Ramirez to 2nd.
  • Robel Garcia strikes out swinging.
  • Erik Gonzalez singles on a line drive to right fielder Steve Felix. Moisses Ramirez to 3rd.
  • Leonardo Castillo grounds out, second baseman Kevin Berard to first baseman Hitaniel Arias.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Thornburg is great again. What are the chances he gets to AA at some point this year?
Not sure I would qualify only 5 IP and 3 BB as great. I'd hope he'd more efficient at some point and those walks would return more to his WI rate before a promotion.

I would qualify 5 IP 3 H 3 BB 6 K and 0 ER's as a great start for a prospect every day of the week.

You seem to be a bit over the top critical. He dominated once again, and not that it has a direct impact on him, he did it while facing the 4th overall prospect in baseball in the BA mid-season rankings.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Just awful luck this year for Butler. The recap makes it sound like he has a broken leg, unfortunately.

Des Moines Register:

Chris Robinson made solid contact. Twice.

The Iowa Cubs catcher lined a sharp single off the right shin of Nashville starter Josh Butler in the fourth inning of the Sounds' 10-2 victory Wednesday before an announced crowd of 5,282 at Principal Park.

Butler's leg was put in an immobilizer, then he was carted off the field and taken for X-rays. The news, for Butler, was apparently good.

"They said it's just a contusion," Nashville manager Don Money said. "No fracture. He'll miss one start, maybe. I'm sure he'll have a little soreness."

Money, a four-time all-star during his 15-season major league career, said it's tough to see a player take a shot like Butler did.

"Anywhere," Money said. "He took a shot off the dome earlier in the year."

Wow, I guess Josh is down to seven lives left for 2011. Two major bullets dodged. Only Don Money would use the term "dome" so casually there. Great news, great stuff.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I just hope Josh doesn't start getting gun-shy out there pitching.

Kentrail Davis was one draft pick that I wasn't really impressed with when we drafted him. However, I don't claim any foreknowledge of scouting players or anything. Just a negative response to what was written about him. Having said that, I'm also thinking that he has a decent chance at bouncing back at AA. But that is just a gut feeling. But I think he should stick it out at A+ this year and get to AA next year.

Archived