Brewer Fanatic

The Bring up Taylor Green Thread

Bombers
  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Wilson just played 3B and batted #2 today. And this team is supposed to be taken seriously?

Apparently management feels that playing guys like McGehehe, Counsell, and Wilson is the "safe" approach, because they're veterans. Again though I want to know, how much worse could the results be with a talented rookie? Do they think Green would step onto the field and immediately defecate himself due to being a rookie during a pennant chase in the bright lights of Milwaukee?

You mean other than we have covered this topic pretty thoroughly and nothing has changed much? McGehee is still the 3B and Green is in AAA.
So because it isn't likely to change means we should stop pointing how stupid it is and how much it's hurting the team?

No, because there is nothing new except McGehee's continued incompetence to discuss. Doesn't seem to make much sense continually repeating how incompetent McGehee is.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This is so frustrating to watch.

The Prince Fielder Era in MKE ends in a few months, and the organization is seemingly content to just sit tight with garbage players up and down the roster. Even in the cases when replacements are in the system. I've been a Melvin supporter/defender/apologist from day one, but this year is changing that. Almost all of the issues that made me think this was an 80-83 win team prior to the season are still there and just as bad.

LOL the Brewers defense and the offense was pitiful the last two days. Casey Mcghee,YB, CC,Josh Wilson is a hugh Black hole on this team.

The defense just can't give up extra outs and expect to win. DM has an Off day tomorrow and needs to get busy on the phones to add some help.

DM has an Off day tomorrow and needs to get busy on the phones to add some help.

If he looks outside the organization for a rental at SS, I'm all for that. But I'm afraid Melvin is going to give up something of value to bring in a washed-up slob (e.g. David Bell) to play 3B, because he overvalues experience.

LOL the Brewers defense and the offense was pitiful the last two days. Casey Mcghee,YB, CC,Josh Wilson is a hugh Black hole on this team.

The defense just can't give up extra outs and expect to win. DM has an Off day tomorrow and needs to get busy on the phones to add some help.

You forgot Kotsay. Carroll probably doesn't add much either.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

After thinking about how silly moving Gamel back to 3B is given all that's happened in his career I've convinced myself that Green is once again on a PTBNL list and thus isn't realistic possibility to replace McGehee until the Mets make a decision. If the second player is performance based like Sabathia, then it can't come till the end of the year in which case discussing him is a moot point. He's clearly not the player with the limited MLB track record that the Mets like in that first slot, but he does make some sense as the 2nd player in that deal.

If he's not the on the list... well then for once I gave Melvin too much credit, but you'd think since he's such a patcher as a GM that he would have found a way to patch those holes by now.

If Melvin truly wanted to make an impact he would have traded for someone who can contribute 9 innings every day instead of a guy who will only contribute 1 inning when the Brewers are already winning.

Upgrading either SS or 3B to league average would have a much greater affect than upgrading 1 bullpen slot over the remainder of the season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

i thought i'd read that the two PTBNLs in the K-Rod trade weren't major prospects, which Green would be.

though i agree that there must be something Melvin is planning that we don't know. maybe keep him in the minors to maintain his trade value in case he does make one more trade? i think i'd rather call up Green and see if he can make a sudden impact than get rid of what few prospects we have left.

It's sad that Melvin favors experience over production, especially since the only time he's gone to the post season in Milwaukee was the year he had the rookie of the year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

It's sad that Melvin favors experience over production, especially since the only time he's gone to the post season in Milwaukee was the year he had the rookie of the year.
That's not true. Braun won ROY in 2007. They went to the playoffs in 2008, due to the veteran grittiness of Mike Cameron, Russel Branyan, Ray Durham and Crazy Joe Dillon.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

It's more than a little stretch to compare Ryan Braun to Taylor Green.

Braun stepped off the Miami campus a major league ready bat. His ceiling was off the charts. Those guys come along once a decade or a maybe once a generation. Green worked his way from a 25th rounder to the position where he's going to get a major league shot. Like most guys, he'll need to take advantage of his opportunity when it comes. The difference is you make room for guys like Braun. Guys like Green wait for room to appear.

Verified Member
i thought i'd read that the two PTBNLs in the K-Rod trade weren't major prospects, which Green would be.
Just because Green is currently one of the Brewers top 5 guys at AA/AAA doesn't make him a major prospect. He isn't a major prospect by any objective prospect rating measure; he is merely a "major" prospect on BF.net because the Brewers system is depleted right now and we have a glaring hole at 3B on the MLB roster. Those two facts have drastically elevated his status around here.

"If Melvin truly wanted to make an impact he would have traded for someone who can contribute 9 innings every day instead of a guy who will only contribute 1 inning when the Brewers are already winning."

The reason he made the trade is because the guy who was in that situation had a tendency to turn the Brewers already winning into the Brewers already losing. Did it seven times I believe.

I'm okay with Green being one of the PTBNLers. I don't think he's anything more than a back up or sometime platoon. Not that back ups aren't valuable; it just makes the trade seem more fair. If we had a real minor league system Green would be way down the list.

I really hope Green wasn't on the PTBNL list for the Mets. The Brewers said they put that list together "in about five minutes," and it was done this season, with McGehee not hitting and Green raking. Melvin couldn't have been dumb enough to put Green on that list, could he? I guess it would be dumb either way, either dumb for putting him on the list, or dumb for not promoting him if he's not on the list.

As it stands right now, I really wanted Roenicke to keep Gallardo in to bat yesterday to lead off the inning (against a lefty) over anyone the Brewers had on the bench. Instead, McGehee pinch hit and to no one's surprise struck out. It's pretty sad that I'd rather have any of our SP except probably Marcum bat instead of our starting 3B.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Based on what? He's 24 and destroying AAA pitching. He's sightly old for AAA but not by a lot and that is explained by injury and not failing at lower levels. He may not be a Top 100 prospect in all of baseball but he'd be on any teams top 10 list at this point.

It's funny to me that people don't consider Green a prospect. At the end of the 08' season he was a top 5 Brewers prospect, ahead of Lorenzo Cain, Jonathon Lucroy, Lawrie and others. He then went on to have a few freak injuries, and is now tearing up his first AAA season as a 24 year old. It's not like he came out of nowhere. To add to that, it sounds like he can play a decent 2b along w/ 3b. I think he is being undervalued by a lot of people, including Doug Melvin.

Archived