Brewer Fanatic

The Bring up Taylor Green Thread

Bombers

So could somebody ask RR why we just brought up Carroll since he is a worse hitter then Gamel and might struggle up here as well?

We needed someone who could play CF. When Gomez went down, it was either going to be Carroll or Boggs who got the call.

In re-reading the post, you're probably being sarcastic, in which case I agree, Green should be called up along with Carroll. Gomez to DL and one of the bad SS's sent packing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Taylor Green was 2-3 w/ his 14 th HR and 2 bb's tonight, he is now batting .320, I hope to see him in Milwaukee soon.

Yeah, I am really unsure what else Green has to do at this point to merit a call to Milwaukee.

Taylor Green was 2-3 w/ his 14 th HR and 2 bb's tonight, he is now batting .320, I hope to see him in Milwaukee soon.

Yeah, I am really unsure what else Green has to do at this point to merit a call to Milwaukee.

Come on, the Melvin/Roenicke hope and pray "plan" for McGehee has to pay off eventually right?

After all, it's only been about 75 games now of Casey playing so bad offensively and defensively, that he's been one of the worst everyday players in all of baseball. No need to be so impatient to give Green a try because don't forget McGehee did get a couple off singles the other day off a guy splitting home plate with 88 mph fastballs.

Let's be fair here and give Casey at least another 50 games or so to turn things around before taking such a huge risk of calling up a kid with no big league experience, don't forget Gamel struggled in 7 games after being called up. Yea, McGehee helped lead to two more runs scoring tonight by yet again not making a play at third and looking bad at the plate as usual, but hey, he's just scuffling a bit. We all know though that Casey is a battler, so he'll keep battling and battling and battling and battling until he gets things figured out by hopefully at least sometime in mid-September.

This has become a mockery.

I'd go so far as to call it a travashamockery.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Well, Green's .947 fielding percentage is helping his cause much. Even Ryan Braun's was .954 in the minors at 3rd base, and it translated a lot worse in the majors.

Yea, that is a problem. Then again, Casey has a .941 fielding percentage this year and that doesn't take into account that he has all the range of a tree stump.

Either way, we should probably stop wasting our time with this Green stuff given they've moved him to 2nd and are instead playing Gamel at 3rd in Nashville. I honestly think that Green could go on an epic tear at the plate to where he got his average up to about .370 and above OPS above 1.000, and Melvin/Roenicke wouldn't give any serious thought to bring Taylor up to at least platoon with Casey.

The fact that McGehee has been this abysmal both offensive/defensively for such a long length of time, and Green has been hitting well in AAA for pretty much the whole time Casey has been brutal, without hearing even the slightest sniff of a rumor about the team just considering bringing up Green, it's hard for me to envision any scenario where he gets called up before roster expansion in September.

I like how the Tigers can dump a guy (Brandon Inge) who played for their organization for 11 years and just signed a 2 year $11.5 million deal but the Brewers stay the course with both McGehee and Counsell. One of which (Counsell) should have been DFA'd a while ago and McGehee should have been benched a while ago and Taylor Green brought up. I am at an utter loss as to why Doug hasn't done anything.

Maybe Green is on the list for K-Rod and it would be McClendon/Green going?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Maybe Green is on the list for K-Rod and it would be McClendon/Green going?
That's a good (and forgotten) point.
If that is the case, I would really not like the K-Rod trade.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Either way, we should probably stop wasting our time with this Green stuff given they've moved him to 2nd and are instead playing Gamel at 3rd in Nashville. I honestly think that Green could go on an epic tear at the plate to where he got his average up to about .370 and above OPS above 1.000, and Melvin/Roenicke wouldn't give any serious thought to bring Taylor up to at least platoon with Casey.
He's splitting his time between 2nd and 3rd, he played 3rd base the night before, and plays 3rd much more often than 2nd. He may not be a great defender, but from everything I've ever heard he wouldn't be nearly as bad as Braun or Gamel at 3rd. Has anyone seen him play or have an detailed reports on his defense?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I hope we don't lose Green in any trade. We need alternatives for 2012 at 3B, and there's no one in the minors that really fits that bill. Next season the Brewers should be installing Gamel at 1st base (I'm going on the assumption that Fielder is gone) and Green and McGehee would fight it out for 3rd base.

We have to, at some point, give our young players a chance. There may be some struggles, but in the end, if we could get league-average play from both positions, we'd being doing great. And if we could fill those slots with lower paid guys, all the better so that we can spend money elsewhere.

Perhaps the brewers believe Green is simply not an everyday player. Or even a platoon guy. I can understand that. It's their job to project a player's future and plan accordingly. But if you deal Green, what's the plan for 2012 if McGehee continues to stink?

PS - one other positive to Green is that he's lefthanded. Adding him into the lineup in 2012, along with Gamel and Morgan, would give us, potentially, the most decent lefthanded bats in years. Of course, Morgan would need a platoon partner. Maybe even Green.

Not sure how these trades work in theory or in "the real world" but couldn't DM pull back Green even if he was on the list? I don't think the list is any kind of official document or anything, but I could be wrong. But yea, if Green is part of the KRod deal, then that changes my opinion of the deal.

At this point it really is a mockery. Not in blue, would Green not even be considered as an option if he was OPSing 1.000? I understand he wasn't in their plans whatsoever to start the year. I doubt he was in any of our plans either. But things change. Like having a 3B who's "hot streak" consists of 9/32...ALL SINGLES. And Green's stock went up. He always has been one of those guys who had the potential to be a MLB starter, and now he's putting it all together.

Just seems like we're seeing a case of what I call paralysis by analysis.

Baldkin, when I first saw the term used I thought "No, this is a TRAVESHAMOCKERY!".

.320/.404/.548/.952

That's Taylor Green's slash line in AAA. He walks almost as often as he strikes out. His BABIP is .346, which is probably unsustainable but not ridiculously high.

There's always a reasonably large chance that a prospect will flop. Even if he does flop though, I just don't see him being any worse than McGehee.

I just don't see him being any worse than McGehee.

I read that alot on this forum. And that is the thing: we need him to be significantly better than McGehee. Not "a little better" or "not any worse". Casey has been one of the worst position players in MLB in 2011 (if not the worst). Obviously the Brewers don't think Green would be a big upgrade over Casey. They could be wrong about that. It also seems obvious that the Brewers seem to have more confidence in Gamel playing MLB 3B than Green.

The Brewers look like they are either trying to trade for a 3B and/or will give Casey yet more time. If he continues to falter, it'll likely be Gamel replacing him

I just don't see him being any worse than McGehee.

I read that alot on this forum. And that is the thing: we need him to be significantly better than McGehee. Not "a little better" or "not any worse".

When people say those things they are usually talking worst case scenario. We should expect him to be significantly better than McGehee; I think a .700-.750 OPS projection would be fair, along with better defense. That would be a significant upgrade.

And to add to that, when the worst case scenario for making a move is being right where you started, there's absolutely no reason not to make the move. I think worst case scenario, Green hits as poorly as McGehee for the rest of the season, but plays slightly better defense. That's an upgrade, and any upgrade can matter, especially in a tight division race. To not try a move that has extremely low risk with the potential for a medium to high reward, when 1 win could be the difference in the division, would be inexcusable.

I wouldn't be too worried about burning an option for Green. That's the worst-case scenario: burn an option on Green, he sucks in Milwaukee, send him down, go back to McGehee, who continues to suck. Then three or four seasons down the road you have to worry about losing Green if he's still bouncing back and forth from Milwaukee to Nashville.

Archived