Brewer Fanatic

The Bring up Taylor Green Thread

Bombers
I believe that as long as a player is on your 40 man roster by aug 31, he or she can be on the playoff roster. I believe Seth Smith of the Rockies was on a postseason roster but was only called up in mid Sept. But he was on the 40 man roster by aug 31, and therefore eligible.
He probably replaced an injured player then. I've looked all around and what I posted earlier is correct. If a guy isn't on the 25 man by August 31st, he can't be on the postseason roster unless he replaces someone who's injured after that date. So it isn't a definitive cut-off point but commissioner approval is needed (i.e. can't just make up a fake injury to someone to get them replaced).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green would only use an option this year if he was sent back down to the minors. He has to be put on the 40-man roster at the end of the season or he will be available in the Rule 5 draft.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The only players eligible for the postseason are the 25 on the active roster and players on the disabled, bereavement, suspended or military lists before midnight ET on August 31st.

Yes but players injured after that date can be replaced by anyone who was with the team (and remains so until the end of the season obviously) before that deadline as well. The replacement player would have to be placed on the 40 man if they were not already on it.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Taylor Green is widely regarded as a solid to good defender. He obviously takes defense seriously.

Don Money is a bit of a kook as a MiLB manager, & it's not just this one instance.

Via Sessile Fielder, & per TH:

Doug Melvin told me the sprained thumb that forced Nashville's Taylor Green out of game Sunday is not considered serious.

So I have to eat my words on this one, & apologize to Don Money. Glad to hear, though, that he wasn't pulling Green from the game for making a couple errors, as that would have been completely kooky.

No need for you to apoligize. Money is still a kook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Green would only use an option this year if he was sent back down to the minors. He has to be put on the 40-man roster at the end of the season or he will be available in the Rule 5 draft.

He will be. Not doing so would be insane. I'm pretty sure there are a few teams that would be willing to take a flyer on a 3rd baseman OPS'ing 1.004 in AAA.

My main hope is that McGehee brings his value up enough during the remainder of the season to trade him after the year for a decent prospect. Then Taylor Green is given the every day job at third base. With Fielder leaving the offense is going to need a bit of an overhaul to allow for more consistency. I think trading McGehee and/or Hart and replacing them with Green, Gindl and Gamel (for Fielder) would be risky but may help the team remain successful. Then if you can trade Hart and Fielder leaves, maybe there will be enough money to sign Reyes. That would result in a lineup of Reyes, Morgan, Weeks, Braun, Gamel, Green, Gindl, Lucroy. Young, not as much power, but I think with the pitching it could be good enough. And more lefty dominant then any time in years.

I'm all for Green and Gamel, but I'm not sure Gindl replacing Hart is the best bet. Gindl's OPS is quite consistent over the years, though it did take a dip in Huntsville. I just can't honestly say that I think he'll hit better than Hart, and show enough power. That same equivalency calculator only gives a .259/ .327/ .387 slash line for Gindl. I think he'd probably do better than that.

Interestingly enough based on this years performances Gamel + Reyes, actually looks better than Fielder + Betancourt. Hard to say exactly how free agency will shakeout, but I don't think the Brewers need to free up Hart's salary to potentially afford Reyes. The fielding difference from those 3 wouldn't be Earth shattering, but it would certainly help, and I like having a guy or two at the end of the bench with a particular tactical skill set over reliever's that pitch an inning every two weeks.

I'm all for Green and Gamel, but I'm not sure Gindl replacing Hart is the best bet.

I'm not big on having essentially three rookies in the every day lineup. But the reason I suggested trading Hart was as a salary relief in order to sign Reyes. With the money you'd save with the losses of Hart, Betancourt, and Fielder, plus all five starting pitchers returning, I think they could make a very generous offer to Reyes. Then they'd just have a few minor holes to fill. Bullpen and bench but I think the bench could be filled cheaply with Farris and Hairston. Both can play second and short if necessary. Hairston can play third. You'd have to get an experienced outfield bat in case Gindl struggles, maybe a guy like Ryan Ludwick. But I think that lineup would be a good lineup and is one you could keep together for awhile and most players would be under control for a few years. Then you can spend the entire season working on getting Marcum and/or Greinke resigned.

I get the sense that Reyes wants to stay in New York, which is why the Mets did not trade him. I really do not think Reyes signing with Milwaukee is realistic, as great as that would be.

I know many will hate to hear this, but I could easily see Betancourt being our starting SS again next year.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think I just figured it out...

Lopez starts game 1 of the double-header against Pittsburgh on Monday. After game 1 they release Lopez and "call up" Peralta, who is conveniently hanging out in the clubhouse, to start game 2. After game 2 they send Peralta down and call up Green. Green takes Lopez' roster spot on the 40-man.

Well, we can hope at least.

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but will Casey McGehee have any trade value after this season? It's almost funny now that Green is still in AAA despite hitting .337 with 21 home runs and better defense than McGehee. McGehee struggled most of the season but he is starting to come around a bit. Is there any chance we can get a decent prospect, or maybe a reliever for him? I just see no reason to keep him anymore after this season other than maybe to try to increase his trade value.

I just see no reason to keep him anymore after this season other than maybe to try to increase his trade value.

I think he would have value to the Brewers, as a right-handed batting option backing up Green/Gamel at 3B and 1B. He's only going to be 29-years-old, and I'd prefer to keep him rather than sell low.

I guess I didn't even think of that. With rookies at first (Gamel) and third (Green) it may be good to have an experience hitter to back them up. The problem I see is that this organization tends to favor experience players over rookies and I can't see Green being given third base over the incumbent even if the rookie is a better option.

I'd be shocked if the organization went with Gamel at 1st. If Prince leaves, they'll add a vet at 1B. They've never shown any confidence in Gamel, and Mat hasn't been very reliable either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'd be shocked if the organization went with Gamel at 1st. If Prince

leaves, they'll add a vet at 1B. They've never shown any confidence in

Gamel, and Mat hasn't been very reliable either.

You're right they've never really shown any confidence in Gamel but he's never really had anywhere to play. He had a shot to be the third basemen a few years ago but he got hurt and McGehee broke out. Outfield has been Corey Hart's and first base has been Fielder's so really other than a few spot starts when someone has been injured Gamel has never really had anywhere to play. As far as him not being reliable, again you are right. But again, it's hard to reliable when you're experience is limited to being DH during interleague play and September call-ups. Next year is different. IIRC he is out of options next year so something has to give. I'll be very upset if he is not the opening day first basemen. The Brewers need all the money they can find to re-sign Greinke and Marcum and the last thing they need to be doing is throwing $7 million at someone like Carlos Pena. I honestly believe Gamel will be fine and if he isn't throw McGehee out there. In my opinion you have three players (Green, Gamel, McGehee) to play two positions so signing a free agent doesn't seem to make sense. That money is going to be needed elsewhere (Greinke, Marcum, bullpen, maybe some better bench players).

I'd be shocked if the organization went with Gamel at 1st. They've never shown any confidence in Gamel, and Mat hasn't been very reliable either.

Although I get what you're saying, I'd be shocked if they didn't go with Gamel at 1B. They've started him all season at 1B in AAA to get him prepped to take over, and it's a really obvious move. I'd say he has been very reliable, just not in the brief "cups of coffee" he's had in the majors. His minor league numbers make him look like a good hitter.

I get the sense that Reyes wants to stay in New York, which is why the Mets did not trade him. I really do not think Reyes signing with Milwaukee is realistic, as great as that would be.

I know many will hate to hear this, but I could easily see Betancourt being our starting SS again next year.

That may be the case, but the Brewers making a big run into the playoffs, while the Mets give away talent because the owners lost all their money to Bernie Madoff may make the Brewers an appealing destination. The Brewers could probably offer him as much as the Mets, and he'd be on a much better team. It would really come down to his desire to live in New York City over Milwaukee. If that's the case, there's not much the Brewers could do. If they don't replace Yuni, they will not be as good ("on paper") next year as they are this year, because Gamel will not be as good as Prince, and the only real areas to upgrade are SS & 3B.

I think he would have value to the Brewers, as a right-handed batting option backing up Green/Gamel at 3B and 1B. He's only going to be 29-years-old, and I'd prefer to keep him rather than sell low.

That's probably the best option, and I don't hate the prospect of McGehee getting a good number of starts next year at 3B/1B, but if they're choosing McGehee over Gamel and Green this year, I don't know if they'd change their mind for next year. It will be interesting to see what they do with the 1B/3B positions next year, and if they keep Casey, it'll be interesting to see how the contract/arbitration process goes.

To the point of the thread, I will once again state that Green should be on the MLB roster now, and I really hope they bring him up prior to Sept 1. If I had to guess, they'll probably bring up Gamel to replace Dillard and Green will be called up after the minor league season is over.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

They need to get Green up now so he's on the playoff roster. Josh Wilson serves no purpose. At least Counsell can still defend. Wilson hasn't even looked good defensively.

That or Tim Dillard can just go back down.

Dillard will almost certainly not be on the playoff roster. We'll need less pitchers and he's definitely the last guy on the staff as it is.

Green should come up and could at least be a lefty bat off the bench. It's just too smart for it to happen at this point.

I'd be shocked if the organization went with Gamel at 1st. If Prince leaves, they'll add a vet at 1B. They've never shown any confidence in Gamel, and Mat hasn't been very reliable either.

Well, if say they give an extension to Greinke and/or Marcum in the offseason, it could put more pressure on Melvin to at least let Gamel start the year at first because if he was productive, Gamel then would be both productive and very cheap. Gamel becoming at least a solid hitting firstbaseman next year and going forward would be huge for the Brewers from a financial perspective.

Let's not forget that Weeks and Gallardo will now be making quite a bit more money as their contracts kick in. Braun will make more next year. Replacing Fielder's salary with a minimum wage one would be great for financial flexibility.

Archived