Brewer Fanatic

The Bring up Taylor Green Thread

Bombers
  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone find out why Green was pulled last night?

He made two throwing errors in the first three innings, & Don Money is a bit of a nut. That's honestly my best guess. Green made his second throwing error of the game in the top of the 3rd inning, & was replaced defensively before the start of the 4th (his turn in the order didn't come up in the bottom of the 3rd).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Green could easily come up for Lopez at this point. Lopez is hitting under .200 again, with virtually no slugging. His defense is mediocre and he hasn't been hustling lately. They say Lopez has value as a switch hitter, but he only starts with a RHP on the mound, so Green can easily fill in for those starts.

He would give us a high average/power lefty in the lineup for RHP. Even if you don't want Green playing every day, go with Hairston/Wilson at 2b and at least you have Green's bat on the bench. He's certainly a better PH option than Lopez would be right now. Lopez DFA, Green activated. Then when Weeks comes back, you figure out what you want to do. There is no guarantee that Weeks will be back before September 1 (though its looking like he will be), if he isn't though, this isn't even an issue. Weeks just gets re-activated after the rosters expand.

This makes so much sense it's just silly, but because of that, it just won't happen.

Braun is athletic too and he's still average, at best, in LF after 4 years of playing there... and LF is an easier position than RF. Gamel has played 7 games in RF in his minor league career, to expect him to be even average right off the bat, is a stretch.

The difference is that Gamel seems like he has decent fielding instincts, Braun never did and still doesn't. Gamel can field but can't throw. Braun really couldn't field well or throw.

I'm pretty sure Gamel has an above average arm and his footwork was the problem with his throwing errors.

Anyone find out why Green was pulled last night?

He made two throwing errors in the first three innings, & Don Money is a bit of a nut. That's honestly my best guess. Green made his second throwing error of the game in the top of the 3rd inning, & was replaced defensively before the start of the 4th (his turn in the order didn't come up in the bottom of the 3rd).

I wouldn't consider Money a nut for this. The minors is the time to get these young players to take defense seriously, and if it takes benching after two errors in 3 innings, so be it.

Could we send Dillard down for a day on August 31st and promote Green? Then just bring Dillard back up the next day? I just would think that would make sense because then his bench bat would be eligible for the playoff roster.

In the playoffs you've already got 2 extra bullpen arms because you're generally going with a 3 man rotation. We don't use Dillard now as it is, no way would we have any use for him in October.

Could we send Dillard down for a day on August 31st and promote Green? Then just bring Dillard back up the next day? I just would think that would make sense because then his bench bat would be eligible for the playoff roster.

In the playoffs you've already got 2 extra bullpen arms because you're generally going with a 3 man rotation. We don't use Dillard now as it is, no way would we have any use for him in October.
Players have to spend a minimum of I believe 10 days in the minors before they can be called back up, unless there is an injury.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Players within the organization on August 31 can be on the playoff roster. It doesn't matter if they're in the minors on that date. A player acquired from another organization after August 31 is ineligible.

Players within the organization on August 31 can be on the playoff roster. It doesn't matter if they're in the minors on that date. A player acquired from another organization after August 31 is ineligible.

Really? I thought they had to be on the 25 man or the DL on August 31st to qualify, unless they come up September as an injury replacement.

Nope, players have to be on the 25-man roster, the DL, the bereavement list, or the suspended list as of August 31. The only time it doesn't matter is if someone gets injured in September, then anybody in the organization can replace that player as long as they play the same position (and that player would have to be added to the 40 man if they weren't already on it).

edit: This is all from what I've read in articles but the most recent I've found so far was 2009 so not sure if anything has changed since.

edit 2: It looks like the same position thing may have been scrapped and its just position player for position player and pitcher for pitcher.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Nope, players have to be on the 25-man roster, the DL, the bereavement list, or the suspended list as of August 31.

Not trying to be snarky, this is an honest question: How did David Price debut in September and pitch in the playoffs in 2008?

http://www.baseball-refer...eda01.shtml?mobile=false

Nope, players have to be on the 25-man roster, the DL, the bereavement list, or the suspended list as of August 31.

Not trying to be snarky, this is an honest question: How did David Price debut in September and pitch in the playoffs in 2008?

I'm guessing he was a direct replacement for an injured player in September, but that's just a guess.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3622564

Troy Percival was hurt so David Price was his replacement.

So CC could get hurt and Green could replace him. Nice.

So CC could get hurt and Green could replace him. Nice.
Is it bad that the first thing I thought of when I read this was what's Jeff Gillooly up to?

The only thing that I can think of is that they want to give Green as many ABs as possible instead of get rusty on the MIL bench, so they wait until the Nashville season is done to call him up. So they release Lopez on 8/31 and call up Green, and wait until 9/1 to activate Weeks. That way both Green and Weeks are eligible for the post-season.

After how this entire year has went I'd be shocked if Green was part of any sort of postseason plans. We've had a myriad of reasons to call the guy up during the heat of a pennant race (McG sucking, Weeks getting hurt, Lopez being terrible) and it still seems there's always one guy ahead of him. If McG was to be lost for the season tonight to injury, my guess is they call up Gamel to play 3b. The FO just seems hell bent on going with guys with "experience".

Taylor Green is widely regarded as a solid to good defender. He obviously takes defense seriously.

Don Money is a bit of a kook as a MiLB manager, & it's not just this one instance.

Via Sessile Fielder, & per TH:

Doug Melvin told me the sprained thumb that forced Nashville's Taylor Green out of game Sunday is not considered serious.

So I have to eat my words on this one, & apologize to Don Money. Glad to hear, though, that he wasn't pulling Green from the game for making a couple errors, as that would have been completely kooky.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Doug Melvin told me the sprained thumb that forced Nashville's Taylor Green out of game Sunday is not considered serious.

At least it's nice to see that Melvin can acknowledge Taylor Green's existance.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At least it's nice to see that Melvin can acknowledge Taylor Green's existance.

He mentioned him while he was in the booth with BA and Rock last night.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I believe that as long as a player is on your 40 man roster by aug 31, he or she can be on the playoff roster. I believe Seth Smith of the Rockies was on a postseason roster but was only called up in mid Sept. But he was on the 40 man roster by aug 31, and therefore eligible.

Archived