Brewer Fanatic

The Bring up Taylor Green Thread

Bombers
  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In TH's recent chat on jsonline, he said that Taylor Green is not the PTBNL in 2 different answers. That makes me feel better.

I know I shouldn't read the chat, but I did anyway. Haudricort is full in on "McGehee is hitting better lately".

In TH's recent chat on jsonline, he said that Taylor Green is not the PTBNL in 2 different answers. That makes me feel better.

I know I shouldn't read the chat, but I did anyway. Haudricort is full in on "McGehee is hitting better lately".

Even if McGehee is entrenched as the starting 3B, the team has to realize that Green is better than Counsell. I don't like prospects "rotting on the bench," but we're in August, so I don't think Green would be hurt by being the primary LH bat off the bench / part-time 2B/3B. Yuni is bad, McGehee is bad, but Counsell is so bad at this point, it's laughable that he's on the team.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Even if McGehee is entrenched as the starting 3B, the team has to realize that Green is better than Counsell. I don't like prospects "rotting on the bench," but we're in August, so I don't think Green would be hurt by being the primary LH bat off the bench / part-time 2B/3B. Yuni is bad, McGehee is bad, but Counsell is so bad at this point, it's laughable that he's on the team.

Well they need to keep roster flexibility so if they didn't have Counsell and instead had Green they would only have Betancourt, Wilson, Hairston, Lopez available to fill in at SS. A team can't be expected to have less than 5 guys who can play SS on a team.
edit: correction 5 guys not 4 four who can play SS if needed.

If today is any sign of Casey breaking out of it, then I would have no problem admitting I was wrong if we ride him to the playoffs as well. Either way, I still think Green has a place on this team. Atleast we should see him in September.
I don't know, even if McGehee "breaks out of it" soon, he still hurt us from April through July. Obviously they weren't going to replace him at the beginning of the year but I still think Green should have been given a shot at the end of June/beginning of July. That being said, it doesn't seem like Green is coming up anytime soon (and therefore wouldn't be on a playoff roster if we make it) so I hope McGehee does break out.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I just don't see any playing time for Green given the new acquisitions. Gamel you can give some pinch hitting duty, but Taylor will ride the bench even though I concede that he deserves pinch hits as well.

I think Taylor should continue to rake at AAA and be given a true shot next year in camp to back up at 2nd and 3rd w/ Hairston manning the back up ss role . But if Casey is named the Brewers offensive player of the month ala Betancourt then forget about Green this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone explain to me why Green isn't a better option at second base than Lopez or Hairston? Neither of the new acquisitions are hitting well and Taylor Green is killing it in Nashville. Is it strictly about defense? Wouldn't this be a great time to get Green some at bats in Milwaukee with the hopes that maybe McGehee is traded in the offseason and Green is the everyday third basemen?

There was talk of Green being more of a 3B than a 2B. I dont know if it was Tom H or someone else but it sounded like the Brewers viewed Green as 3B and an occasional spot start at 2B but that is it.

I honestly think its about not putting a rookie in the middle of a playoff race, as stupid as that may be.

Why else would Counsell and Kotsay still be on the roster? Why would they start Estrada as opposed to De La Cruz? Why would they have stuck with Casey so long?

Every player move DM has made has screamed I value the steadiness of a veteran over the potential upside of the younger rookie.

I agree theavrock. I just wonder if it's Melvin, Roenicke or both. Much of the Brewers' roster is home-grown, and most got starting gigs early on, so Melvin has shown in the past that he'd play rookies. The Green situation this season is just wierd, and I have to wonder if it's all Melvin or if he's staying down at the "request" of Roenicke.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Well, at some point it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. You are afraid to bring up a rookie, so you delay. Eventually, you bring him up...scatter a few ABs and before you know it it's mid-September. So now you really ARE exposing a rookie to situation where he may struggle. If this was done 2 months ago, none of this would be an issue.

Good news is, at least McGehee hasn't been terrible the last couple weeks. But it's a killer not to have any pop off the bench whatsoever.

I don't remember how the injury rules work for playoff rosters, but I'd love to see a scenario where Green and Gamel can get some time in September and at least have a chance to earn some post season starts if they hit.

If we have Green or Gamel starting in the playoffs, it means our roster has been massively decimated by injuries. These guys did not get us there, and should in no means be deciding our playoff fate.

If we get to the playoffs, Casey McGehee certainly won't have been the guy who got us there. As of now, he has been one of our biggest obstacles to getting there.

If we have Green or Gamel starting in the playoffs, it means our roster has been massively decimated by injuries. These guys did not get us there, and should in no means be deciding our playoff fate.
Right, these guys aren;t any good. Much like Axford is horrible, as you have made clear in the IGT.

Good news is, at least McGehee hasn't been terrible the last couple weeks.

Outside of one game, he's been pretty bad, even lately.

Refusing to give Gamel and Green any playing time is going to be a decision that effects the team beyond this year. Now next year, while we still have Greinke and Marcum, we will have to break two rookies into everyday starting roles (assuming McGehee isn't the longterm plan at 3B which I certainly hope he's not).

Good news is, at least McGehee hasn't been terrible the last couple weeks.

Outside of one game, he's been pretty bad, even lately.

Refusing to give Gamel and Green any playing time is going to be a decision that effects the team beyond this year. Now next year, while we still have Greinke and Marcum, we will have to break two rookies into everyday starting roles (assuming McGehee isn't the longterm plan at 3B which I certainly hope he's not).

But if you are going to break a rookie in doesn't it makes more sense to give them the job out of Spring Training instead in a pennant race? I would have been OK if Gamel & Green started getting MLB ab's a couple months ago but I don't know how much sense it makes anymore. Things are goimg good right now; Melvin and RR are not going to want to mess with that. I am assume they will both be September call ups and I doubt they get 5 starts combined for the whole month unless the Brewers clinch early with a near zero chance of making a postseason roster (They have to be in MLB on 8/31 to be eligible right?

I agree with everyone else that I hope McGehee is not in the long term plans. Best case scenario is that he has a hot last 7 weeks and we can sell high on him. It seems pretty likely that we will have new starters at 3 of the 4 IF positions next year; it should be interesting to see how it gets sorted out

I think the theory of "we don't want to break in rookies during a playoff chase" is absolute bunk. McGehee is awful. Maybe having the worst season EVER for a starting 3rd baseman. If Green or Gamel give us absolutely ANYTHING, they are a huge upgrade.

Next year, we'll need 1 or both to be above .800 OPS, or we are going to struggle offensively. If either can come in now and play average defense with a .650 OPS, that is a big upgrade. Yeah we're playing really well right now, but we're also getting really lucky (See UMP calls).

We're a good team 88-90 wins. We're playing like a 100 win team (past month). However, we're not going to be a 100 win team in the p,layoffs unless we have our 25 best players on the roster. Simply put right now, we don't have that. Not even close. Show me the Kotsay, Counsell, McGehee, Wilson, and Lopez on Philly's roster, and i'll give it a rest, but it is absolutely frustrating that we continue to have elite prospects in the minors that could help us take that next step.

If we don't make ATLEAST the NLCS this year, i think Melvin's job needs to be seriously in jeopardy. You can't mortgage 5 years of the club's future to "go for it", and then play inferior players in 3 of your 8 starting slots when you have better options internally.

I think the theory of "we don't want to break in rookies during a playoff chase" is absolute bunk. McGehee is awful. Maybe having the worst season EVER for a starting 3rd baseman. If Green or Gamel give us absolutely ANYTHING, they are a huge upgrade.

Next year, we'll need 1 or both to be above .800 OPS, or we are going to struggle offensively. If either can come in now and play average defense with a .650 OPS, that is a big upgrade. Yeah we're playing really well right now, but we're also getting really lucky (See UMP calls).

We're a good team 88-90 wins. We're playing like a 100 win team (past month). However, we're not going to be a 100 win team in the p,layoffs unless we have our 25 best players on the roster. Simply put right now, we don't have that. Not even close. Show me the Kotsay, Counsell, McGehee, Wilson, and Lopez on Philly's roster, and i'll give it a rest, but it is absolutely frustrating that we continue to have elite prospects in the minors that could help us take that next step.

If we don't make ATLEAST the NLCS this year, i think Melvin's job needs to be seriously in jeopardy. You can't mortgage 5 years of the club's future to "go for it", and then play inferior players in 3 of your 8 starting slots when you have better options internally.

Wilson Valdez, Ben Fransico, Ross Gload and Michael Martinez. Not exactly murders row. While better then McGehee, Placido Palanco isnt exactly lighting the world on fire.

I think Kotsay needs to be left out. For being a back up corner outfielder/PH, he has done just fine. Yes you would want more power and he shouldnt play CF, but I dont think you can leave him in the same conversation with Counsel and Lopez and Wilson.

But if you are going to break a rookie in doesn't it makes more sense to give them the job out of Spring Training instead in a pennant race?

Green would be further along in his development going into next year, is more what I was getting at. Using Green in a soft platoon at 3B beginning (at the latest) after the all-star break would have meant that:

1) We'd almost certainly be getting more production offensively and defensively at the position right now

2) He'd have a good amount of playing time under his belt as we truly head into the September pennant race

3) Going into next season, he would have a half-season of experience

I somewhat understand leaving Gamel down, because he's blocked at the positions he figures to end up at and I don't want to see him rot on the bench. Assuming though that he ends up as the starting 1B next year, it would be nice if by that time Green had some experience so we didn't have two rookies with zero experience at two important spots in the lineup simultaneously.

Can someone explain to me why Green isn't a better option at second base than Lopez or Hairston? Neither of the new acquisitions are hitting well and Taylor Green is killing it in Nashville. Is it strictly about defense? Wouldn't this be a great time to get Green some at bats in Milwaukee with the hopes that maybe McGehee is traded in the offseason and Green is the everyday third basemen?

I'd be all for bringing up Green to at least split some at bats with McGehee, but if Green isn't a quality defensive secondbaseman and it doesn't seem like he is, i'd pass on having him play there. Not only is more range needed to play 2nd than 3rd, turning double plays is huge in baseball and often it's a bang bang play where the out at first is close.

What makes bringing up Green ideal to at least split at bats with Casey is not only is McGehee struggling at the plate, he also has range shortcomings at thirdbase. For me though, secondbase is a different animal and if Green isn't good defensively there, i'd rather just play Hairston there until Weeks got back.

Archived