Brewer Fanatic

The Bring up Taylor Green Thread

Bombers
  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do I often now hear August 1st as a minimum day they would wait to bring up Green? What is the significance of that day?
Maybe because it's the day after the trade deadline? Perhaps Melvin sees some reason to keep him in the minors if he's still considered trade bait.

This is the only thing that makes sense to me. There's no way, IMO, he's a PTBNL in the KRod deal, but I think he could be a chip in another.

recent tweet:

As for those who speculate that Green is on PTBNL for K-Rod deal, I asked somebody who should know and he said he didn't think so.

in previous tweets, Tom is sounding really sick of Taylor Green questions. Good.

Not as sick as we are not seeing him up in Milwaukee http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

More TH tweets:

Haudricourt Tom

And if you want to know why Green hasn't been called up to replace McGehee, it's because #Brewers aren't giving up on McGehee.

Haudricourt Tom

The Taylor Green questions rally need to stop. We've asked and asked and asked about the guy. #Brewers obviously don't think he is MLB 2B.

I'm getting so sick of following him on twitter. He's so arrogant and acts like he knows it all. I follow McCalvy and he does a great job, IMO. It's just that every now and then Haudricourt has something that McCalvy doesn't, or he does it a little faster.

Unfortunately, i think Green is all but a Met. My best guess is Melvin is thinking that if we don't call him up, that the Mets suddenly will not see him as an MLB player, and think about passing, but if we do call him up, and he tears the cover off the ball, that it all but guarantees that the Mets will take him as the PTBNL. Melvin probably fears the fans seeing Green as a second coming of Ryan Braun and then fears looking incredibly stupid for trading Green for a 2 month rental relief pitcher.

Either way, there is zero reason for us not to have Green on the big league club. If he does well and helps us get to the playoffs and as a result gets taken by the Mets, so be it. The fans are already angry over Melvin's apparent incompetence with his handling of the SS/3B situation. If we're going to lose Green, might as well get some value on the field for him before he leaves in our "all-in" year

Isn't there a rule that PTBNL cannot be on the 40-man roster. Therefore, if he is on the PTBNL list to the Mets, the Brewers could not add him to the 40-man and bring him up. He would need to stay off the 40-man until the Mets decided to take him or not.

The PTBNL rule is that the player cannot be in the same league as the team he is to be traded to from the time of the trade until the time the PTBNL is announced. So it affects the 25 man roster but not the 40 man.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

My guess is he asked Green's agent. During the Sabathia trade speculation, Brantley's agent agent39 (aka Josh Kusnick) didn't know, & in fact denied (assuming the Brewers would've told him), that Brantley was on the PTBNL list. And I can't remember for sure, but Kusnick may actually also be Green's agent.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The PTBNL rule is that the player cannot be in the same league as the team he is to be traded to from the time of the trade until the time the PTBNL is announced. So it affects the 25 man roster but not the 40 man.

Thanks for the clarification, but aren't the Mets in the same league as the Brewers? Therefore, they wouldn't be able to bring him to the MLB team, so there's no reason to add him to the 40-man if they aren't going to add him to the MLB roster.

That, of course would be if he was on the PTBNL list, which I'm leaning more toward believing isn't the case.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My guess is he asked Green's agent. During the Sabathia trade speculation, Brantley's agent agent39 (aka Josh Kusnick) didn't know, & in fact denied (assuming the Brewers would've told him), that Brantley was on the PTBNL list. And I can't remember for sure, but Kusnick may actually also be Green's agent.

Then again usually the PTBNL tend to leak out. With Green though it would be weird to make him a PTBNL and not just "Green+PTBNL" unless Green is on the list of "KROD gets 30 Saves for The Brewers" list.

Might a player's agent have a motivation not to disclose that their player is on a PTBNL list in case they don't get chosen? Maybe public perception or (if the player doesn't want to be traded) keeping that info from other GM's who might think they are on the block?

Just guessing/speculation.

TH is acting like Green hasn't been all that impressive. "I'm getting sick of all the Taylor Green questions." Well yeah, there's a reason for that--he's warranting all the questions!

Also, I don't understand this sudden concern for defense. Green at 2B>>>Kotsay in CF or Yuni at SS

Does Haudricourt not realize how much of an oxymoron that statement is? He is really reaching lately to protect from criticism the franchise who indirectly pays his salary. There are a ton of people associated with the organization who right now are resorting to damage control, i.e.: Roenicke publicly criticizing Gamel for his whole 26 AB performance in the big leagues to prove that minor league numbers don't translate (and then Haudricourt reiterating it as the puppet he is). This only makes the concern greater that Green is indeed the PTBNL. They are desperately trying to sell that he couldn't have helped us now but K-Rod could. And that wouldn't be justification by itself anyways.

Verified Member
Does Haudricourt not realize how much of an oxymoron that statement is? He is really reaching lately to protect from criticism the franchise who indirectly pays his salary. There are a ton of people associated with the organization who right now are resorting to damage control, i.e.: Roenicke publicly criticizing Gamel for his whole 26 AB performance in the big leagues to prove that minor league numbers don't translate (and then Haudricourt reiterating it as the puppet he is). This only makes the concern greater that Green is indeed the PTBNL. They are desperately trying to sell that he couldn't have helped us now but K-Rod could. And that wouldn't be justification by itself anyways.
Haudricourt is not a columnist or an editorial journalist, though. He is a beat reporter who reports the news. It's not his job to criticize or question the decisions of the Brewers, that would be somebody like Michael Hunt from the MJS. He is responsible for Who, what, where, etc. He can ask why something is or isn't done in a situation and then report what is said--which is exactly what he has done in this situation.

You can't ask the beat reporter to also be an editorialist or else they are going to get frozen out of info VERY quickly. There is PLENTY of criticism and editorializing these days on sites like this, blogs, and ESPN, so I'm not exactly sure what you expect from Haudricourt. Do you think he just just keep hounding the FO until they do what the fans want? Give me a break.

Bernman, Haudricourt always criticizes the Brewers and their personnel. The Brewers have nothing to do with his job, he'd be a beat writer for a different sport or for another team if the Brewers were gone. Now as far as how he's reacting to the Taylor Green questions, I'm not sure what his deal is.

Haudricourt is not a columnist or an editorial journalist, though. He is a beat reporter who reports the news. It's not his job to criticize or question the decisions of the Brewers, that would be somebody like Michael Hunt from the MJS. He is responsible for Who, what, where, etc. He can ask why something is or isn't done in a situation and then report what is said--which is exactly what he has done in this situation.

You can't ask the beat reporter to also be an editorialist or else they are going to get frozen out of info VERY quickly. There is PLENTY of criticism and editorializing these days on sites like this, blogs, and ESPN, so I'm not exactly sure what you expect from Haudricourt. Do you think he just just keep hounding the FO until they do what the fans want? Give me a break.

You haven't read much Haudricourt if you think he doesn't criticize the decisions of the Brewers.

Fun Fact: Taylor Green only has one error in the 26 games he has played this season at 2B leading to a .990 fielding percentage. He also has a .974 career fielding percentage in his 90 games at 2B. I know fielding percentage doesn't mean everything, but that is still pretty impressive.

Verified Member
You haven't read much Haudricourt if you think he doesn't criticize the decisions of the Brewers.

He does, but that is never the focus of an article or a blog post, and usually he only does it after there is much clamoring from the fans (on here and in the comment of MJS) for him to ask about something.

His criticism is usually veiled, saying something like "Despite Taylor Green batting .330 with 20 hrs and an OPS of .995 in Nashville, Melvin and Roenicke are unwilling to call him up to the big league club because of [X, Y, Z with quotes]."

He almost never just out and out says what he thinks the Brewers should do, and it isn't his job to do so. He might also use 20/20 hindsight to criticize a decision, saying that it didn't work out, but rarely will he criticize the decision as it is made or try to push for something that he thinks should happen.

I believe his stats for June and July would be .395/.464/.686/1.150. That is one dominant two-month stretch.

Good thing none of that success has come in the bigs...it would have taken at bats from established players who used them oh so well. Casey McGehee is proof positive that minor league players who are not high draft picks but have some AAA success never have any success if given major league playing time.

Seriously, compare Green in AAA at 24 to McGehee in AAA at 25. Then weep.

If you were TH wouldn't you be sick of being constantly asked the same question? It doesn't mean he doesn't think (to himself) that Green might be a solution to certain problems. It's that, given his position as beat writer, the question has been asked and answered. About 1000 times. He has no control over the situation. He asks the question. The Brewers answer it. Smart readers read between the lines of the answers. He's not saying it's a stupid question. It's a GREAT question. The first time it's asked. And the second. And maybe even the third. After that it's just superfluous.

If you were TH wouldn't you be sick of being constantly asked the same question? It doesn't mean he doesn't think (to himself) that Green might be a solution to certain problems. It's that, given his position as beat writer, the question has been asked and answered. About 1000 times. He has no control over the situation. He asks the question. The Brewers answer it. Smart readers read between the lines of the answers. He's not saying it's a stupid question. It's a GREAT question. The first time it's asked. And the second. And maybe even the third. After that it's just superfluous.
I would DEFINITELY be sick of it. But it comes with the territory of being a beat reporter. Even if I'm sick of it, I'd learn to ignore it when people keep asking the same thing over and over.

Archived