Brewer Fanatic

The Bring up Taylor Green Thread

Bombers

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there was this bit from McCalvy's most recent post:

"The Brewers also discussed Nashville third baseman Taylor Green, who is having a comeback season at the plate. But “he’s a third baseman who has played a few games” at second, Roenicke said."

You wouldn't think they'd even discuss him if he was on that list of players for the Mets. That should bode well.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want to include Wolf, then you also need to include all of the poor to horrible FA signings, with another good one in Cameron. His record in FA is pretty bad, he's spent a ton of money in most cases just to spend money.
I thought we were talking about your claim that Melvin had made only "2 moves that improved the team at a significant expense in the last 2 years and 3 moves in the last 3 years." Now you don't want to count good moves; you want to offset good moves with bad moves. You're moving the goalposts to suit your preformed conclusion. Look, I agree with you about much of the substance here. I absolutely agree that Melvin has made some monumentally awful free agent signings, particularly Suppan, Riske, and Gagne. Maybe I'm too much of a wishy-washy compromiser by inclination and training, but to me the subject of Melvin's record as GM looks like about the most classic case of mixed evidence that I could imagine.

Now he has 2 home runs. 3 for 3 with 2 homers, 1 double, a walk, 4 runs, and 5 rbi's. Worthy of note he achieved it all against Brewer killer, and a big leaguer this year in Nelson Figueroa.

If Doug put him on the PTBNL list I'm going to be sick.

And if not, how well does a brother have to hit in AAA to get a promotion. His .OPS is nearing 1.000 now. It's got to translate to some extent if RR doesn't give him less than 1/10 of the leash as McGehee has gotten, like he did with Gamel. (not that he should have been the replacement at 3rd base, but RR publicly declared he wasn't ready because to perform in the bigs because of 26 AB's).

I want Green called up as much as everyone else, but to replace McGehee, not Weeks. I can't say that I've seen Green in the field, but I can infer easily enough that he's not a very good 2B. So to say that he should replace Weeks, I would have to disagree with that.

Yeah, this is just ludicrous. I could understand them not wanting to call up Green if there wasn't a spot for him to play, but Weeks is out at least three weeks and Green would be starting just about every game. This whole thing makes absolutely no sense.

I want Green called up as much as everyone else, but to replace McGehee, not Weeks. I can't say that I've seen Green in the field, but I can infer easily enough that he's not a very good 2B. So to say that he should replace Weeks, I would have to disagree with that.
Well since he'd only be replacing Weeks for 3-6 weeks I personally would love to have the Jeff Kent type 2B out there. Yes, worse defensive IF in baseball, but at least we will have a hint of production that we will not get out of Counsell, Wilson, Farris, and Lopez (assuming he doesnt return to form.) It not like he needs to be ther everyday, rotate him around between the two. He has earned his shot. If they all of a sudden want to act like they care about fielding that is a joke. You don't make a team with McGehee, Bethencourt, Fielder and expect to be good defensively

I'm not happy about Farris being called up instead of Green, but I'm not getting worked up about it until August 1st. If no moves are made, and Farris (or Lopez) is on the roster instead of Green, then that's a huge problem...and i think we could all make a pretty safe guess that Green must be on the PTBNL list. But I think the team is still trying to make a move (or moves) and they don't want to add Green to the 40 man. Let's see what Melvin gets done over the weekend (and yes, I agree there's a very strong argument that Green should be up over a guy like McGehee already)..but let's revisit it when we see the roster on Sunday night/Monday.

Did I not read something about "playing the hot hand" at 2B until Weeks gets back? How can you get hotter?

I will say in defense of Melvin here, i have no clue if Green would be a very below average defensive secondbaseman.

That said, if Green isn't on the PTBNL list of the Mets, there is no defense for Green to not at least be on the big league roster as everything from a bench bat to a guy who plays third vs tough righthanded pitching. We aren't in the dark days where the Brewers are say 12 games back in the standings. If someone of the AAA team can help our big league roster, that guy should be called up.

My guess is though that if Green actually isn't on the PTBNL list, Melvin/Roenicke saw McGehee get a few hits to right field recently, so that has them believing Casey is back to being himself, regardless of the fact that we've been hearing this each time McGehee gets a hit to right field over his 75 game stretch of utter futility.

Given how bad of hitters Counsell, Wilson, and Farris are though, Green would have to be a trainwreck at second to not provide more overall positive impact.

a big no thanks on McGehee playing 2nd - probably the slowest position player on the Brewers roster playing a position that puts a premium on range? Um, no.

I've posted it on other threads here, there's no way Greens on the PTBNL list - if he was, it would've taken about 3 minutes for the Mets to select him in the KRod trade. Green and Gamel are BY FAR the most MLB-ready prospects the Brewers have, no way they're on a list in a trade the Mets made for a salary dumping move.

I also think Green has stayed down at AAA only because he's currently not on the 40-man - If the Brewers are trying to swing a trade for impact players at the deadline, keeping Green down there gives them a bullet to include in a trade. I would argue that Green is actually more valuable to the Brewers in the majors than as a trade piece, but I think Melvin's keeping him at AAA through the deadline to keep as many options open as possible for trades. I'd say Green's either traded as part of a big deal or in Milwaukee on August 1st. He's been too good not to think about calling him up, and it's even more glaring considering the positions he plays are now screaming for an upgrade.

Unfortunately, i think Green is all but a Met. My best guess is Melvin is thinking that if we don't call him up, that the Mets suddenly will not see him as an MLB player, and think about passing, but if we do call him up, and he tears the cover off the ball, that it all but guarantees that the Mets will take him as the PTBNL. Melvin probably fears the fans seeing Green as a second coming of Ryan Braun and then fears looking incredibly stupid for trading Green for a 2 month rental relief pitcher.

Either way, there is zero reason for us not to have Green on the big league club. If he does well and helps us get to the playoffs and as a result gets taken by the Mets, so be it. The fans are already angry over Melvin's apparent incompetence with his handling of the SS/3B situation. If we're going to lose Green, might as well get some value on the field for him before he leaves in our "all-in" year

Why do I often now hear August 1st as a minimum day they would wait to bring up Green? What is the significance of that day?
Maybe because it's the day after the trade deadline? Perhaps Melvin sees some reason to keep him in the minors if he's still considered trade bait.

Defensively he is an upgrade at third over McGehee right? Would he be an upgrade defensively over Weeks?

I highly doubt it, but he's played there enough this year that he should play passable defense. With the current roster, as long as Weeks is out, I'd play Green at 2B, McGehee at 3B. I would give McGehee some days off, when I'd play Green at 3B and Counsell/Wilson at 2B. Green would have about a month of play by the time Weeks is back, so we could decide on the 3B situation going forward once Weeks returns

I'm not happy about Farris being called up instead of Green, but I'm not getting worked up about it until August 1st.

I hear what you're saying, but that date keeps getting pushed back. Many have been calling for a Green call-up for a long time, and it was "just wait until {enter date here}." At some point, he should be called up and we need to stop the "If x doesn't happen by y date, then z"

I've posted it on other threads here, there's no way Greens on the PTBNL list - if he was, it would've taken about 3 minutes for the Mets to select him in the KRod trade. Green and Gamel are BY FAR the most MLB-ready prospects the Brewers have, no way they're on a list in a trade the Mets made for a salary dumping move.

I also think Green has stayed down at AAA only because he's currently not on the 40-man

I hope you're right, and after some initial panic I think there is a good chance that the 40-man issue is the reason Green is still in AAA. We are very likely going to make at least one move by Sunday, and we may need to 40-man spot.

Unfortunately, i think Green is all but a Met. My best guess is Melvin is thinking that if we don't call him up, that the Mets suddenly will not see him as an MLB player, and think about passing, but if we do call him up, and he tears the cover off the ball, that it all but guarantees that the Mets will take him as the PTBNL. Melvin probably fears the fans seeing Green as a second coming of Ryan Braun and then fears looking incredibly stupid for trading Green for a 2 month rental relief pitcher.

Either way, there is zero reason for us not to have Green on the big league club. If he does well and helps us get to the playoffs and as a result gets taken by the Mets, so be it. The fans are already angry over Melvin's apparent incompetence with his handling of the SS/3B situation. If we're going to lose Green, might as well get some value on the field for him before he leaves in our "all-in" year

Isn't there a rule that PTBNL cannot be on the 40-man roster. Therefore, if he is on the PTBNL list to the Mets, the Brewers could not add him to the 40-man and bring him up. He would need to stay off the 40-man until the Mets decided to take him or not.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived