Brewer Fanatic

The Bring up Taylor Green Thread

Bombers
Just watching the game here and if Weeks' injury is serious Taylor Green would make so much sense to replace him you know Melvin wouldn't do it. At first I'm thinking "great Eric Farris is all we've got" but then I remembered Green plays second base too. Of course he'd be called up only to sit on the bench behind Counsell and Wilson.

No, Green would play. One reason he hasn't been up yet is just such an occurance. He's been playing everyday and there's no reason to have him up sitting. On the other hand this might prompt the deal for either Barmes or Carroll who instead of replacing Yuni, would play 2B.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was what I was thinking too, Paul. If Weeks has to miss any time, Green makes a lot more sense than trotting Counsell / Wilson out there. Hopefully Rickie just sprained the ankle, because losing him would really hurt. It would hurt a little less if we actually replaced him with someone who has a chance of being somewhat successful.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Weeks's injury is serious and Taylor Green isn't called up, we can be fairly certain that he's on the K-Rod list. Either that or DM should be fired for lack of ability to evaluate talent at the big league and minor league levels. DM should maybe be fired anyway if Green is on the PTBNL list for the K-Rod trade.

In the event of injury I wish Melvin could go back to the Mets and beg to replace Green on the list with someone else.

If we bring up Farris 4/9th of our starting lineup is pretty much awful. If they bring up Farris there will be just that much more pressure for Casey and Yuni to go on an extended hot streak

If the Brewers did in fact trade Green for a half of a season's worth of K-rod, then it was an awful trade. Had a closer been the missing piece for the Brewers that would have been one thing but to trade him for a setup man? Makes no sense to me.

Doug Melvin needs to decide very quickly if this team is in fact going to go for it because if they do nothing before the deadline, they are in big trouble.

Haudricourt Tom

@

@BrandonHurls Taylor Green would not be the 2B

summoned if Weeks goes on DL. I'm pretty sure it would be Eric Farris.

Great defender.

6 minutes ago

He better be a great defender, one of the best ever in fact to make up for his pathetic .665 OPS in the minors. Absolutely disgusted with Melvin if Green isn't up and even more disgusted that he must be a PTBNL.

Counsell's a fine defender at 2nd, if we're looking for a no-bat good glove 2B. I guess call up Farris for a few days as a utility guy, and send him back down after trading for carroll, barmes, ryan, kennedy, etc (hopefully a combination of them).

Don't waste an option on Green if you're a) not going to play him at 3B instead of Casey and b) going to trade for a guy to play 2nd.

of course it's probably option c) trade him for KRod

I can't believe in a pennant chase, with now having a gaping hole at 2nd, that Green's .950+ OPS is going to be held back for Eric Farris' awful stick in the name of saving one of Green's 3 remaining options.

If this is the case I have zero faith left in Doug and his ability to do what's best for this team. We already have an entire bench full of Eric Farris quality players. If defense is all that matters at 2nd, you may as well just start Counsell every day and save the roster spot.

I can't believe in a pennant chase, with now having a gaping hole at 2nd, that Green's .950+ OPS is going to be held back for Eric Farris' awful stick in the name of saving one of Green's 3 remaining options.

If this is the case I have zero faith left in Doug and his ability to do what's best for this team. We already have an entire bench full of Eric Farris quality players. If defense is all that matters at 2nd, you may as well just start Counsell every day and save the roster spot.

I think you are being a little harsh on Doug; he has been one of if not the most aggressive GM in all of baseball the last 3-4 years. He has made a ton of moves that have improved the team. Besides I am sure he is relying pretty heavily on his MILB scouts and if they were recommending him to be up here I imagine Doug would have him up. Or if they were OK letting him go via PTBNL then they obviously don't like something there seeing.

If their is any criticism on Doug is that he builds his teams pretty top heavy. His strategy is obviously get as many great players as possible rather than fill the roster out with merely good players. Obviously you have to pay the great players which leaves the cash only to get average or even poor to fill out the roster

I would love Green to be up to; but I don't think it is any indictment on Doug that hes not.

I think you are being a little harsh on Doug; he has been one of if not the most aggressive GM in all of baseball the last 3-4 years. He has made a ton of moves that have improved the team.
How so? He's made 2 moves that improved the team at a significant expense in the last 2 years and 3 moves in the last 3 years. They weren't aggressive trades either, the trades were ultra conservative as far as I'm concerned. Where's the risk in trading for CY winners? Young players without a proven track record are risky, Melvin doesn't trade for young impact talent anymore as he got burned in the past.

Not that depth is a bad thing, but why woudl the Mets want Green when they have Wright/Davis on the corners. 2nd base??????
Well they have Wright at his current contract through 2012, with a team option for 2013 and he's only played 45 games this year. They also have a need a 2B and Green would at minimum be a decent bench bat in 2012. His defense probably isn't very good at 2B but I could see the Mets wanting to unload Wright's contract for prospects and rebuild given the young talent in Atlanta and how good the Phillies are.

David Wright 3b

6 years/$55M (2007-2012), plus 2013 club option

6 years/$55M (2007-12), plus 2013 club option

• [li]
signed extension with Mets 8/06
$1.5M signing bonus
07:$1M, 08:$5M, 09:$7.5M, 10:$10M, 11:$14M, 12:$15M,
13:$16M club option ($1M buyout)

award bonuses: $50,000 each for Gold Glove, All Star selection
if traded, Wright may void 2013 club option

[/li]

1 year/$0.374M (2006)

• [li]
renewed by Mets 3/06

[/li]

1 year/$0.3225M (2005)

• [li]
re-signed by Mets 3/05

[/li]

drafted 2001 (1s-38)

$0.96M signing bonus

agent: Levinson brothers, ACES

ML service: 6.075

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think you are being a little harsh on Doug; he has been one of if not the most aggressive GM in all of baseball the last 3-4 years. He has made a ton of moves that have improved the team.
How so? He's made 2 moves that improved the team at a significant expense in the last 2 years and 3 moves in the last 3 years. They weren't aggressive trades either, the trades were ultra conservative as far as I'm concerned. Where's the risk in trading for CY winners? Young players without a proven track record are risky, Melvin doesn't trade for young impact talent anymore as he got burned in the past.
I'm not going to dispute your criticism on its own terms, but I think you tend to overstate the negative and understate the positive. In fairness to DM he deserves a lot of credit for picking up McGehee off the scrap heap, picking up Narveson off the scrap heap (not sure whether that was within the past three years), signing Wolf to a contract that I think has been a good deal given his performance, and getting Nyjer Morgan for next to nothing. These are all moves that have helped the team significantly, notwithstanding the boneheadedness of sticking with McGehee too long this year.

Also, I like the winter trades. Two years of frontline starting pitching is a valuable thing to get; that's the kind of return for which a smart GM at the right time does trade a Brett Lawrie or, especially, a Jake Odorizzi. I was just saying this in another thread, but those trades aren't like getting Scott Linebrink for a guy who could do Scott Linebrink's job plus two other guys, and they aren't like getting 30 innings of relief upgrade for Taylor Green and Mike McClendon, just to pull a hypothetical possibility out of thin air. They're legitimate value-for-value trades that addressed the team's biggest need, and I think they're very much to DM's credit. The big problem, IMHO, is the failures of roster management that have followed those trades.

Someone posted an idea that maybe Green is being held back because he may be part of another trade...

... so what if Green is traded for an upgrade at SS and a LH RP? What about Green to the Dodgers for Furcal and LH RP Scott Elbert? They get a young pitcher with upside back in Elbert and the benefit to LA is taking Furcal's contract off the books. Furcal has to be at least a Type B, possibly Type A, so the Brewers may also get a pick or two back to help restock the system.

If you want to include Wolf, then you also need to include all of the poor to horrible FA signings, with another good one in Cameron. His record in FA is pretty bad, he's spent a ton of money in most cases just to spend money.

Again the GMs I consider to be the best in the game haven't made a single trade along the lines of Sabathia, Marcum, or Greinke... those GMs target young talent. One's position on this matter depends entirely on which perspective one chooses. Personally I've always been much more interested in doing more with less, I'm not enmaored with how the big teams operate, nor did the playoff appearance mean anything to me. A world series appearance and sustained success is all I basically concern myself with.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Verified Member
Personally I've always been much more interested in doing more with less, I'm not enmaored with how the big teams operate, nor did the playoff appearance mean anything to me. A world series appearance and sustained success is all I basically concern myself with.
How many WS appearances have your favorite GMs made?

Archived