Brewer Fanatic

Your first place Pittsburgh Pirates

Invader3K
Oh, and they are 23-18 against teams with a winning record - so the easy schedule thing goes out the window. Especially since that doesn't include a team like the Reds - who only have a losing record because the Pirates have owned them this year.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am cheering for the Pirates against STL and CIN right now because I still consider the other two teams the bigger immediate threat this year. However if the Pirates can come out of this 2 week stretch coming up within a couple games of first then maybe I start to worry. They will have to start to beat MIL if they think they can win the division. We play them 9 times in the last 2 months with 6 of those at home.

This Pirates team seems remarkably similar to San Diego from last year. A ton of their pitchers are having incredible years and the offense has been very average. Its amazing that their pitching has been as good as its been because they are far and away the lowest Strikeout team in the league.

I agree that it would be foolish of them to trade away their top prospects this year. They especially have to keep their MILB pitching because Correia, Karstens, Maholm, McDonald, and Morton just isn't going to be a good rotation long term.

I'm not in the sabermetrics crowd by any means, but I hope that the Pirates start losing for the Brewers sake. I'd kind of like them to sweep the Reds though, because I still think the Reds are the second most talented team in the division. It would be nice to be 5 or so games ahead of them.

Community Moderator
I'm sure the sabermetrics crowd is hoping the Pirates start losing soon, because they certainly "shouldn't be" winning this many games.
I think the correct phrase isn't hoping, but "waiting for" the Pirates to start losing. Although the putrid state of the NL Central is helping sustain this longer than it should have gone on for. I really like the Pirates and wish them well, but the pitching is bound to fall back to earth.

I'm not in the sabermetrics crowd by any means, but I hope that the Pirates start losing for the Brewers sake. I'd kind of like them to sweep the Reds though, because I still think the Reds are the second most talented team in the division. It would be nice to be 5 or so games ahead of them.
I agree, right now I'm probably a little more afraid of the Reds. We still have 11 days to the trade deadline and the Reds are more likely to improve with a starting pitcher or SS by then. The Pirates are more likely to stand pat, and less likely to make a move that is good.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

FOX has apparently bought into them, the 8/13 game has been moved to 3:10 as FOX picked it up. This has to be the first ever Brewers/Pirates game nationally televised.

That would be a good time to knock them out of contention for good.

Well they already lost today; maybe we can permanently knock them out of first place tonight.

They gave up only 3 runs (1 earned) in 3 games to the Reds but they also only scored 4 runs. They won't get away with an offense like that in the next month. That is still one heck of a pitching dsiplay against a good Reds offense. Where the heck did Karstens come from?

Well they already lost today; maybe we can permanently knock them out of first place tonight.

They gave up only 3 runs (1 earned) in 3 games to the Reds but they also only scored 4 runs. They won't get away with an offense like that in the next month. That is still one heck of a pitching dsiplay against a good Reds offense. Where the heck did Karstens come from?

Karstens comes from the BABIP gods. His current BABIP is .235 and that contributes to his current strand rate of 88.7%. Its why his ERA is 2.34 while his FIP is 4.48 and his tERA is 4.77.

Karstens comes from the BABIP gods. His current BABIP is .235 and that contributes to his current strand rate of 88.7%. Its why his ERA is 2.34 while his FIP is 4.48 and his tERA is 4.77.

In other words the Anti-Grienke?

Don't forget that they have Alvarez and Tabata coming back - those guys should provide a nice boost to the offense.

I don't think they'll make the "all-in" move but I do see them shopping cheaply at the deadline and upgrading. They aren't going to away in a few weeks just because they have a few tough games (I'll again mention the 23-18 record against winning teams) - they've already won a series against PHI this year and PHI is probably playing their worst ball of the season now and as much as I hate to say it, this Pirates team can do something the Brewers can't: Win on the road.

He's also given up 17 homeruns this year....all solo shots. Unreal. He is the Anti-Greinke.

the 8/13 game has been moved to 3:10 as FOX picked it up. This has to be the first ever Brewers/Pirates game nationally televised.
Ugh, crap. Not to go all OT, but I assume Brewers don't offer refunds when game times change? The whole, "game time subject to change" disclaimer? My tickets are already bought, but 3:00 doesn't work....

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

i understand the pitchers have been playing above their norms this year, but it's hard to think that they'd all suddenly return to form this late in the season. if it was all just random, then i think they'd look more like Cleveland did this year, having a phenominal month or even two, but not playing this well for three whole months already.

if i were the Pirates GM, i'd probably make some kind of move before the deadline. not give up the farm, but i remember when it was such a big hurdle after so many bad seasons to just finish up above the .500 mark. obviously i still want the Pirates to finish below the Brewers, but Pirates fans deserve at least that much.

but man, the Pirates seemed to really come out of nowhere this year.

Why are so many here wanting the Pirates to not make mistakes which might hurt their rebuilding of the franchise?

The Pirates were my favorite non Brewer team when I was growing up. They were my NL team and I always wore a Pirates baseball cap around. I feel bad that the franchise has hit bottom over the past few years and I'd love to see them do well.

The truth is though that it isn't a very good rotation, just a collection of guys with good ERAs and mediocre peripherals. This Pirates team reminds me completely of the 2005 Brewers, a lot of young talent mixed in with some pitchers doing more than they should getting the team to .500 and setting up unreal expectations for the next season.

You know I get why the media is sweating them. It's a great story for a franchise that has suffered for a long time.

But I don't remember this sort of coverage when the Brewers were doing the same thing in '08. Am I wrong? It just seems like every time I turn on ESPN or MLB someone is leading with or talking about the Pirates. I guess I just remember thinking in '08 no one is talking about the Brewers.

end rant...

You know I get why the media is sweating them. It's a great story for a franchise that has suffered for a long time.

But I don't remember this sort of coverage when the Brewers were doing the same thing in '08. Am I wrong? It just seems like every time I turn on ESPN or MLB someone is leading with or talking about the Pirates. I guess I just remember thinking in '08 no one is talking about the Brewers.

end rant...

I remember the Brewers getting quite a bit of love when they were exceeding expectations, and then when they traded for CC, they blew up.

So I do disagree with you on this one.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived