Brewer Fanatic

Tony Plush: big surprise

Verified Member
Morgan's lack of walks definitely matters going forward. He's hitting 44 points above his career average, but his OBP is only 12 points above career. The batting average is going to come back down, of course. When it does, the question will be whether he can adjust and take more free passes to keep reaching base at a good clip. Maybe he can; maybe right now he's successfully, and deliberately, sacrificing walks to drive the ball. I'm not going to argue with a .358 OBP from him. But when he's hitting .280, he's going to have to walk if he wants to play.

I doubt he's forgotten how to take a walk at age 31.

Morgan is playing the way I would expect him to play when used properly. He should never face (or almost never face) LHP. Hats off to Roenicke for using him correctly. Hopefully that will continue even though Gomez was injured

I'm not overly worried about his walks. He's hitting second in the lineup, directly in front of Braun and Fielder. That's going to give him a lot of pitches to hit, teams don't want to put a baserunner (especially a fast one) on base in front of those two via the walk. He's getting pitches to hit and to his credit, he's hitting them.

But when he's hitting .280, he's going to have to walk if he wants to play.
Not if his competition is Carlos Gomez vs. a right handed pitcher.
Plush has a career .314 average against righties, so as long as he continues to face 90% righties, we shouldn't be surprised if he hits .300. He should be good for at least a .330-.340 OBP if he's good for a .300 average.

Archived