Brewer Fanatic

Tony Plush: big surprise

He's been great, but I would love to see him start drawing some walks. I like that he seems to have a plan at the plate and the plan changes based on circumstances. His defense is outstanding. While his range might not quite be as good as Gomez's, I think he goes back on balls better than Gomez and gets a better jump on balls...but that's splitting hairs.

He's been great, but I would love to see him start drawing some walks. I like that he seems to have a plan at the plate and the plan changes based on circumstances. His defense is outstanding. While his range might not quite be as good as Gomez's, I think he goes back on balls better than Gomez and gets a better jump on balls...but that's splitting hairs.

Yea, Nyger isn't some complete free swinging hacker like say Betancourt is, but while he'll take pitches, he doesn't end up taking as many walks as it seems like he should be taking. Not sure why, but it would really increase his value, especially while hitting right in front of Braun/Fielder.

That said, picking up Morgan certainly was a huge pickup by Doug because a lineup all season involving Betancourt, McGehee, and Gomez nearly every night would have just piled on to the Brewers getting on base better woes outside of a few guys.

It's funny, I was just thinking about whether I would seem like a hopeless suck-up/optimist if I started a thread suggesting that we should give DM more credit for a few moves that have worked out brilliantly. Morgan has weaknesses, but he and Gomez make a brilliant platoon -- what looked like the team's second-worst position has become a strength. The Hardy trade still looks terrible, but finding a way to exploit Gomez's strengths in a platoon salvages at least something from the trade.

Then there's the rotation. For all our angst about the G-men, we have a great bottom of the rotation with Wolf and Narveson. That had been a huge area of concern in the past, and DM deserves credit for those pickups as well. He has also done a better job recently of scratching his veteran reliever itch (notwithstanding RR's inability to run a bullpen).

Now, as for the left side of the infield -- Doug, what have you done for us lately?

Yea, Nyger isn't some complete free swinging hacker like say Betancourt is, but while he'll take pitches, he doesn't end up taking as many walks as it seems like he should be taking.

Is there a story on the alternate spelling of T-Plush's first name? I see the 'Nyger' version on this site from time to time, and I've seen it elsewhere. (I could swear that I even remember seeing a video of Morgan from his hockey days with that spelling.) His MLB info, and his Twitter account all use the 'Nyjer' spelling.

Sorry for the derail; just something that's been bothering me for months now.

Yea, Nyger isn't some complete free swinging hacker like say Betancourt is, but while he'll take pitches, he doesn't end up taking as many walks as it seems like he should be taking.

Is there a story on the alternate spelling of T-Plush's first name? I see the 'Nyger' version on this site from time to time, and I've seen it elsewhere. (I could swear that I even remember seeing a video of Morgan from his hockey days with that spelling.) His MLB info, and his Twitter account all use the 'Nyjer' spelling.

Sorry for the derail; just something that's been bothering me for months now.

I think it's just a matter of a lot of people being confused how to spell his name. Not sure about the hockey days but everything I've seen says "Nyjer."
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

People probably think if the Niger River or the Republic of Niger, then notice the "y" in Nyjer, but not the "j."

I believe that "Greinke" is far and away the most misspelled name on this board.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

People probably think if the Niger River or the Republic of Niger, then notice the "y" in Nyjer, but not the "j."

I believe that "Greinke" is far and away the most misspelled name on this board.

I don't know, I've seen plenty of "Bentacourts," "Bentincourts," and "Bentacrots" to think otherwise.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

"Grie[/i]nke has been used 472 times. It's been spelled correctly 1,000 times. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Agreed, but I'm with rawbecht. "Grienke" may be the most common misspelling from the 2011 roster around this forum, but I'd be surprised if "Betancourt" hasn't been butchered more times overall, since there are so many ways to butcher it.

If you subscribe to the notion that a misspelling is more likely to occur when a speller is angry or frustrated, Yuni has very possibly provided more anger/frustration moments over the course of the season than has Zack.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

How can anyone be surprised? Plush does not surprise, he amazes! The Plushdamentals are what every boy and girl throughout the universe should ascribe to! Morgan and Plush are neither one and the same, that's like saying Santa Claus is the tooth fairy or something crazy like that! We all know the Easter bunny is the tooth fairy!!

Morgan's lack of walks definitely matters going forward. He's hitting 44 points above his career average, but his OBP is only 12 points above career. The batting average is going to come back down, of course. When it does, the question will be whether he can adjust and take more free passes to keep reaching base at a good clip. Maybe he can; maybe right now he's successfully, and deliberately, sacrificing walks to drive the ball. I'm not going to argue with a .358 OBP from him. But when he's hitting .280, he's going to have to walk if he wants to play.

Archived