Brewer Fanatic

Ian Desmond

I'd probably do Gomez, Komatsu, and one of McClendon/Heckathorn/Rivas/Scarpetta for Desmond. They get a CF for now and a 4th OF/potential CF that should stick in the future. They also get any pitcher in our minors other than Peralta/Thornburg. We can call up Boggs to play CF sparingly and provide a better bat for our bench than Gomez anyway.

Desmond has been awful this season, but he would still probably be a small upgrade over Yuni. He walks a little bit more (who doesn't) and strikes out a TON. I think a .250/.300/.370 line would be about what he'll put up for the rest of the year. It's not all that different than Yuni (slightly higher OBP, slightly lower SLG), but Desmond would do it with better speed and average defense. It would be a fairly minor upgrade for this season, but it would also potentially solve a long term hole at SS. Desmond won't hit arbitration til 2013, and has the potential to hit for a decent average (.270 last year) with good speed and some power (10 HR last year, many think he could be a 15+ HR guy down the road. At least before this season they did...). I think because of that potential I don't think it will be as easy to acquire him as some are making it sound...The nats have soured on him a little, but it's still going to take a lot more than a guy like Gomez, Komatsu, or Schafer

Desmond is an interesting buy-low candidate, but I don't know why the Nationals would want to trade him at this point.

He has upside defensively and he's not as bad as the .265 wOBA he's put up this year. That said, don't you go after the guy who's been hitting well this year? Desmond may be more of a guy you go after in the offseason, if he is indeed available.

Desmond is an interesting buy-low candidate, but I don't know why the Nationals would want to trade him at this point.

He has upside defensively and he's not as bad as the .265 wOBA he's put up this year. That said, don't you go after the guy who's been hitting well this year? Desmond may be more of a guy you go after in the offseason, if he is indeed available.

I think there are some in their organization who really like Lombardozzi...so they want to call him up and move Espinosa to short. I don't think they're actively shopping him, and they're not going to trade him just to trade him. Cheap SS with good speed and some power have a lot of value, even when they're struggling. The nationals aren't stupid, they know that. But they would definitely listen to offers, even if it meant selling low on him. There's just no way they're going to sell THAT low and trade him for a guy like Gomez or one of our 4th OFer type prospects.

I think there are some in their organization who really like Lombardozzi...so they want to call him up and move Espinosa to short. I don't think they're actively shopping him, and they're not going to trade him just to trade him. Cheap SS with good speed and some power have a lot of value, even when they're struggling. The nationals aren't stupid, they know that. But they would definitely listen to offers, even if it meant selling low on him. There's just no way they're going to sell THAT low and trade him for a guy like Gomez or one of our 4th OFer type prospects.

Yeah, the Nationals are likely to move Espinoza over to short in the future and slide Rendon in at 2nd base. That's still at least a year and a half away, but that would be one thing working in our favor.

Still, I wouldn't be that big on giving up Heckathorn, Schaefer/Komatsu-plus for him as we are looking primarily at this year and he doesn't look as though he'd be a big enough upgrade to justify such a package.

Still though, he does have a lot of upside and he could help us out a great deal in the future, so...wouldn't be the worst deal in the world.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't know a thing about Desmond, but glancing at his stat line, he looks like Betancourt version 2.0. Is he really much of an upgrade?

Back in January, I doubt we could deal them anyone in our organization but Braun and get them to trade us Desmond straight up.

Why, though? Outside of one big half-season in 2009, he never hit well in the minors and neither the metrics or fan evaluations have him as a plus fielder. What am I missing?

• 1 month later...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/nationals-dont-intend-to-pursue-prince-fielder.html

The big news from the link above is about Fielder not going to the Nats in all liklihood, but let's not focus on that.

It mentions again that the Nats will be looking to fill CF. I'd love to sell high for once and we could do this on Schaefer and buy low on Desmond in some sort of a swap. The deal could certainly get bigger. I think we are fine for a few years with our Cargan Mormez platoon and think this offseason will be a great time to deal Schaefer and fix SS more longterm. Would a deal like this (that could have parts added) be of interest?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/nationals-dont-intend-to-pursue-prince-fielder.html

The big news from the link above is about Fielder not going to the Nats in all liklihood, but let's not focus on that.

It mentions again that the Nats will be looking to fill CF. I'd love to sell high for once and we could do this on Schaefer and buy low on Desmond in some sort of a swap. The deal could certainly get bigger. I think we are fine for a few years with our Cargan Mormez platoon and think this offseason will be a great time to deal Schaefer and fix SS more longterm. Would a deal like this (that could have parts added) be of interest?

How does Desmond fix the SS position longterm? He's had one OK year and regressed from that to a .610 OPS. He's far from an long term answer. Besides I think the Nats will look for a more established CF and Desmond isn't going to bring them that.

How does Desmond fix the SS position longterm? He's had one OK year and regressed from that to a .610 OPS. He's far from an long term answer. Besides I think the Nats will look for a more established CF and Desmond isn't going to bring them that.

I'd rather have Nyjer Gomez/Ian Desmond in 2012 than a lot of the other options out there. Who else could fill fill the hole at SS? Judging by the list of FAs below, I'd take Desmond's potential upside if all it cost was Logan Schafer

FA after 2011 from Cot's...

Yuniesky Betancourt MIL *

Ronny Cedeno PIT

Adam Everett CLE

Rafael Furcal LAD

Alex Gonzalez ATL

Cesar Izturis BAL

John McDonald TOR

Augie Ojeda ARI

Jose Reyes NYM

Nick Punto STL

Edgar Renteria CIN

Jose Reyes NYM

Jimmy Rollins PHI

Ramon Santiago DET

Marco Scutaro BOS *

Jack Wilson SEA

I think the biiger news is about Prince and still believe he be a Brewer in 2012

No way Prince returns. CC said all the warm and fuzzy things about MIL and in the end bolted for the cash. Winning MVP will only solidify the departure as his value will increase to the Pujols+ $ range. And to be honest, the Brewers will benefit more by him leaving in the long run as they can resign their starting pitchers, who are obviously more important to the team's success.

I'd rather have Nyjer Gomez/Ian Desmond in 2012 than a lot of the other options out there. Who else could fill fill the hole at SS? Judging by the list of FAs below, I'd take Desmond's potential upside if all it cost was Logan Schafer

Luis Valbuena from the Indians who is blocked by Asdrubal Cabrera could be available. A McGehee for Valbuena deal would be fair for both the Indians and the Brewers. McGehee replaces their current 3B who is rather horrible.

Doesn't Valbuena not hit at all? I was one of the few it seemed that wasn't thrilled to add a Brendan Ryan/Clint Barmes type, and I am not sure if Valbuena will hit better than them.

I did read, probably on MLBTR, that the M's will be looking to improve at 3B and the worry is that there is not much that will be out there. So with that said, McGehee could be a match for them. I'd rather go after bullpen help or a prospect than Brendan Ryan in a swap with them though.

The White Sox have a young SS who is blocked, he was mentioned in that Gamel swap no one knows if it was legit or not. Desmond might still be an everyday SS, but he's probably more likely to be a utility guy.

Something else to keep in mind is how expensive Morgan/Gomez will be when both are arby eligible. Likely not a long-term solution.

Luis Valbuena from the Indians who is blocked by Asdrubal Cabrera could be available. A McGehee for Valbuena deal would be fair for both the Indians and the Brewers. McGehee replaces their current 3B who is rather horrible.

Valbuena has 795 major league plate appearances and he's a .222 hitter. To me he's a guy that hits in AAA but can't hit major league pitching.

Archived