Brewer Fanatic

What Brewer Players Do You Enjoy Watching The Most?

In honor of the series split with the Rockies...how about a thread to balance out the "least enjoyable" Brewer player thread? Trying to keep things balanced...and I'm tired of writing things about my distaste of Yuni!

I'll start:

1) Rickie Weeks - Constant hustle, plays with power, speed and great attitude. Watching him improve beyond his early career struggles with inconsistency and injuries has been a true joy to watch. He's the team leader. I flat out love this guy.

2) It's tough not to love Prince and Braun...they are just special. I feel the same way about Axford too, but I have a couple players who I call my guilty pleasures: Nyjer Morgan aka Tony Plush...energetic and a hard nosed grinder, maybe a little crazy, but in a good way. I also dig Carlos Gomez...he frustrates me too, but he's an amazing fielder and he seems to have a great attitude...I find myself really pulling for him.

1. Fielder: I love patient power hitters and Prince is one of the best. I also like that he seems like a real person, warts and all. I just have to look the other way when a ball comes his way on defense!

2. Weeks: Another patient hitter. It was fun to watch him grow offensively and defensively.

3. Gallardo: I really liked Sheets as well, so I guess I am biased towards home grown starting pitchers.

I am pretty apathetic towards Braun. He's obviously a great hitter but I never really cared for his personality. It's not really his cockiness; I just feel like he never turns off the athlete-speak. I appreciate that he always plays at 100%, though.

Bullocks. I just posted this same thread to see you beat me to it. Anyways, I'll put my thoughts here and delete the old one:

1) Rickie Weeks: I really started following the team in 2004, so Weeks has been with the team almost the entire time I've been a fan. To watch him progress from a poor fielder to a competent fielder to a solid defensive player has been quite the journey. He hits for power, he hits for average, he has a great eye at the plate, he can fly like the wind, he makes flashy plays, and he has a blast. He has become an extremely good ballplayer, and I think we're all happy to have him around.

2) Nyjer Morgan: What else can I say? He fields well, he bunts for hits, he flies down the baseline, and he wears his heart on his sleeve. Just a fun little juggernaut.

3) John Axford: He came from nowhere to become one of the more dominant relievers in the majors. He's just a nasty pitcher.

Morgan has really grown on me. I read his comments when he bunted for a base hit and RBI late in a game recently and he said it was all on him. Paraphrasing he said I know I'm not good against left handers so I had to do what I could. Dude seems to know what he is and understands the game well enough to be as productive as he can be in any given situation.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

1) Gomez -- He is like a Labrador out there. Chasing down everything, and never slowing down.

2) Weeks -- His ABs are must watch for me, and watching him hit 1B on a ball to right center.... pedal to the metal, cruising for third... Run, Rickie, Run.

3) Morgan -- Maybe its morbid curiosity, maybe its.... AHHH I GOTTA GO!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I love watching Marcum pitch, Braun at bat, and I actually enjoy watching Lucroy catch a game. He may not throw well, but I think he handles the pitchers pretty well. I think with Braun and Weeks, you can almost tell when they are going to do something big with the bat. They seem to have a different stance, or confidence, or something. No way to justify it or back it up, but I have watched on numerous occasions where they just looked a little "different" in certain at bats. Maybe it's confidence against certain pitchers.

1) Weeks - It's at least partially because he's home-grown and how far he's come since those early struggles. Also gotta thank Melvin for not giving up on him and sending him to mash for the Rangers.

2) Morgan - Good heavens, he is just a fun guy to watch. I get excited when a ball is hit to center or wherever he's playing, and every time he comes up to bat.

3) Braun - His contract tells me he loves being a Brewer and could even possibly spend his entire career here, and the way he approaches at-bats, especially since he learned how to wait for his pitch, is enjoyable.

4) K-Rod - I realize he just got here, but man that guy has some ridiculous stuff. Of course I had seen him pitch before, but it's different when he's wearing a Brewers uniform. Now I'm watching more closely, and I can't wait to see him come back out again.

5) Prince - Like someone already mentioned, it's nice to see big-swinging, patient hitters. Prince will take four walks in a game and be content with that because he knows when he gets his pitch, it's not coming back. Defense still leaves a LOT to be desired, but it's light years ahead of where it was when he first came up.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

1. Gomez: Plays the game like its meant to be played. He LOOKS like he is a kid having fun. So enjoyable to watch all around. Even his bad ABs still make him look like he cares so much about succeeding and helping this team.

2. Weeks: My god...dude is a beast. Hard working and very quietly becoming an all time Brewer great. I just wish he would've been able to stay healthy and start this push he has made in 2009-10-11 in 07 or 08 and he may have been working his way towards a borderline HOF career. Still is time but I could very easily see him hitting another 150 HRs (6 years at 25 per) in his career and getting close to 300 HRs as a 2B and being potentially the 2nd in All-time Brewers HR behind...

3. Braun: Seriously the most talented Brewer I've ever seen. Born in 1982 so I caught the tail end of Molitor and Yount. Flair for the dramatic see 2008 Pirates, 2008 Cubs, 2011 Marlins PH. If he stays healthy will be the next Brewer HOF and very easily could finish with 350-400 HRs with 3,000 hits.

Braun - Love the way he plays. He works really hard and understands the game. Now if he could just get a little better in LF

Weeks - Similar to Braun but he has improved a lot in the field. He hits the ball so hard.

Lucroy - I love a catcher who can actually hit

Morgan-I love watching a player hustle ALL the time. I also like his emotion and the fact that he gets upset when he doesn't come through

Weeks-I love watching him absolutely hammer a fastball. He has to have the quickest wrists in the game

Braun-Not only is he a great hitter, he is a very smart hitter.

and Darryl Hamilton, just because he is one of my favorite Brewers of all time

Weeks for taking below average defensive skills and working hard enough to make himself reasonably solid.

Prince for being a fat guy that still busts it down the first base line.

Braun for being Braun.

Gomez because he cares.

Morgan cuz he's so freaking funny!

Yo - Home grown talent and filthy.

Rickie - A linebacker playing second base.

Prince - Besides the obvious amazing bat, I like that he shows emotion and doesn't take days off.

T-Plush - Hilarious, emotional, and fearless.

Honorable mention : Carlos Lee. I don't think there is a happier man in baseball. Guy is always smiling.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

It's pretty easy to expect mostly the same answers from people, because this team has become painfully polarized in terms of production.

1. We see a lot of Weeks, Braun, Fielder because of hard work, flair, and enthusiasm on top of the fact that they are elite players.

2. Betancourt, Kotsay, and a lot of the guys we kicked to the curb like Nieves ended up on the hate watching list because of their negative impact on the team and responsibility they were handed. McGehee is reluctantly added because of his somewhat expected (but not to this extent) decline and the fact that we won't try other options yet.

3. Plush is Plush.

4. The pitching has been surprisingly almost an inverse. Greinke was supposed to be our most exciting guy and his production has been brutal. Yovani was supposed to be our solid rock at the #2 and an excellent #3 and has fallen short (but not flat on his face) of expectations. People knew Marcum could pitch and were excited, but had worries coming in about his injuries, velocity, etc. and he has been our most consistent guy, albeit starting to show the injury bug. Wolf is everyone's whipping-post of overpaid mediocre production when looking at the advanced stats but as much as I curse him out for every start -- his final product has been pretty good this year.

Narveson has been a nice #5 but he still has those frustrating games where he can't hit the zone at a given point and it makes you forget that sometimes.

All of that is a long way of saying very few mentions of pitching.

Historical note -- Bill Hall was one of my favorite guys historically to watch. I wasn't as advanced-stats oriented back then to realize that his plate patience was going to become an issue, though I did notice that he was probably on roids. Either way, I loved his dramatic flair and swagger.

After all of this -- Weeks is still my guy. I've been cheering for him for the same reasons as most of you and I am also a fan that seems to cheer harder for guys like Weeks when most casual fans don't understand that the guy is doing it the right way. Weeks had the plate patience to become a special hitter even though when he "struggled" he had some ugly strikeouts.

Corey Hart - as a tall, long-armed, gangly, goofy-looking dude, it's nice to see somebody else that looks like me, but can play. I love the half-casual swing that seems like he just sort of throws the bat into the strike zone, yet the ball jumps off the bat.

Prince Fielder - I like the incredible violent compactness of his swing. Nothing nothing nothing nothing POW!

Archived