Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Mon. 7/18 -- Hall teases no-no, Scarpetta pitches well, Yadiel Rivera trumps everyone with a super-cycle

Final: Huntsville 8, @Montgomery 2

Cody Scarpetta was pretty good, if a bit wild: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 5 K, 4/4 GO/AO. Despite the walks, he still only threw 90 pitches in his six frames (53 strikes). Zelous Wheeler and Matt Cline each homered as part of two-hit games, and Logan Schafer joined them with a triple and a single. Rob Wooten finished the game with a perfect 9th. Erik Komatsu singled, walked, and stole his 13th base; Lee Haydel also walked and bagged his 11th bag.

A four-run 3rd provided all the offense the Stars needed:

Huntsville Top of the 3rd
  • Martin Maldonado singles on a line drive to left fielder John Shelby.
  • Hainley Statia singles on a line drive to left fielder John Shelby. Martin Maldonado to 2nd.
  • Matt Cline singles on a line drive to center fielder Isaias Velasquez. Martin Maldonado to 3rd. Hainley Statia to 2nd.
  • Logan Schafer triples (3) on a line drive to right fielder Kyeong Kang. Martin Maldonado scores. Hainley Statia scores. Matt Cline scores.
  • Erik Komatsu singles on a line drive to center fielder Isaias Velasquez. Logan Schafer scores.
  • With Brock Kjeldgaard batting, Erik Komatsu steals (13) 2nd base.
  • Brock Kjeldgaard walks.
  • Erik Komatsu out at 3rd, catcher Stephen Vogt to third baseman Greg Sexton.
  • Zelous Wheeler flies out to right fielder Kyeong Kang.
  • Steffan Wilson strikes out swinging.

Final: @DSL Cardinals 8, DSL Brewers 4

Joel Dicent and Angel Ventura fared poorly, but Osmel Perez pitched for the first time since 6/29 and did so very well, allowing just a hit in two scoreless innings with four strikeouts. Great to see the Wizard of Os back on the mound. Orlando Arcia continued his resurgence, 2-5 with a double and his fourth homer. Esthervin Matos singled and walked, and Elvis Rubio was on three times, once with a single and twice the hard way; he's been plunked six times in 72 PAs, and this is his second two-HBP game. Matos committed yet another error.

The DSL provides too much stimulus for my addled brain to process near midnight, but be my guest.

Yadiel Rivera tripled in the 8th. Might get another PA in the 9th. Single short of the cycle.

Edit: He's due up fourth in the 9th. First Helena batter, Mike Nemeth, popped out to catcher.

Edit 2: The second batter, John Dishon, singled. Rivera might have a chance if they can stay out of a double play.

Edit 3: Adrian Williams grounds out, Dishon to second. Rivera is up!

We have 2 in rookie ball, Arcia is only 16 and I bet he's in Helena next season as a 17 year old. He's a SS prospect in my book until he's moved off the position or proves he's not able to handle it defensively.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Osmel Perez pitched for the first time since 6/29 and did so very well
Guessing that since this appearance, as well as the 6/29 appearance that happened after 19 days off, were multi-inning outings, Perez isn't hurt, or at least his arm isn't hurt. Could be working on the side on a new pitch or something. Not too worried about him.

YADIEL RIVERA HITS FOR THE CYCLE!!!
http://www.pixelcharmer.com/fieldnotes/images/believe.jpg

Once I get around to making my top 10 prospects list, Yadiel's going to most likely be in it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Final: Helena 12, @Casper 3

Rivera Cycles as Brewers Pummel Ghosts

By Nicholas Allen

Yadiel Rivera singled up the middle in the ninth inning to complete the

cycle Monday night in Casper as the Brewers capped off a 12-3 victory

over the Ghosts. It was Rivera's fifth hit of the night and raised his

average to .331. The shortstop doubled to lead off the game, homered in

the second, doubled again in the sixth and tripled in the eighth. He

also walked, scored five runs and drove in four.

Rivera was not alone as the Brewers pounded out a season high 19 hits

and 12 runs. Newly crowned Pioneer League Player of the Week Nick

Ramirez went 3-for-4 with a home run, four RBI and two runs scored. Max

Walla and Adrian Williams also had three hits each and John Dishon and

Parker Berberet added two hits apiece for Helena.

Michael Strong (2-0) gave up just one hit, a solo home run to Angel

Reyes, in seven innings of work for the victory. The left-hander walked

four and struck out three. His ERA is down to 3.76 on the season.

Helena Box Score

Not sure if you heard, but Yadiel Rivera hit for the cycle. He also walked once (4th inning), that can't be all that common of an occurrence. I'd guess that a walk derails a cycle attempt more often than not.

The box score has Ramirez with five RBI, not four like the game story stated. Ramirez & Berberet each had a double; Dishon had a triple as well.

Thomas Keeling allowed a two-run double in the 8th after walking two Ghosts batters. Alan Williams allowed a leadoff single, but got a strikeout & then a double play to end the game.

Helena Play-by-Play

Yadiel Rivera cycle recap time...

Helena Top of the 1st
  • Yadiel Rivera doubles (6) on a line drive to left fielder Francisco Sosa.
  • Kyle Dhanani singles on a line drive to center fielder David Kandilas. Yadiel Rivera to 3rd.
  • Nick Ramirez out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Robert De La Cruz. Yadiel Rivera scores.
  • With Parker Berberet batting, Kyle Dhanani advances to 2nd on a balk.
  • Parker Berberet hit by pitch.
  • Max Walla strikes out swinging.
  • Kenneth Allison strikes out swinging.

Helena Top of the 2nd
  • Michael Nemeth flies out to right fielder Robert De La Cruz.
  • John Dishon triples (1) on a line drive to left fielder Francisco Sosa.
  • Adrian Williams singles on a fly ball to right fielder Robert De La Cruz. John Dishon scores.
  • With Yadiel Rivera batting, Adrian Williams advances to 2nd on a balk.
  • Yadiel Rivera homers (6) on a fly ball to left center field. Adrian Williams scores.
  • Kyle Dhanani walks.
  • Nick Ramirez doubles (7) on a fly ball to left fielder Francisco Sosa. Kyle Dhanani scores.
  • Parker Berberet grounds out, shortstop Trevor Story to first baseman Harold Riggins.
  • Max
    Walla singles on a line drive to left fielder Francisco Sosa. Nick
    Ramirez out at home on the throw, left fielder Francisco Sosa to catcher
    Angel Reyes.

Helena Top of the 6th

• Yadiel Rivera doubles (7) on a fly ball to center fielder David Kandilas.
  • Kyle Dhanani strikes out swinging.
  • Nick Ramirez grounds out, second baseman Juan Ciriaco to first baseman Harold Riggins. Yadiel Rivera to 3rd.
  • Parker Berberet doubles (7) on a line drive to left fielder Francisco Sosa. Yadiel Rivera scores.
  • Max Walla pops out to third baseman Samuel Mende in foul territory.

Helena Top of the 8th

• Pitcher Change: Jeremiah Sammy replaces Alving Mejias.
  • Adrian Williams singles on a ground ball to right fielder Robert De La Cruz.
  • Yadiel Rivera triples (3) on a line drive to left fielder Francisco Sosa. Adrian Williams scores.
  • Kyle Dhanani flies out to left fielder Francisco Sosa.
  • Nick Ramirez homers (5) on a line drive to right field. Yadiel Rivera scores.
  • Parker Berberet strikes out swinging.
  • Max Walla singles on a line drive to right fielder Robert De La Cruz.
  • Kenneth Allison called out on strikes.

Helena Top of the 9th

• Michael Nemeth pops out to catcher Angel Reyes in foul territory.
  • John Dishon singles on a line drive to left fielder Francisco Sosa.
  • Adrian Williams grounds out, first baseman Harold Riggins to pitcher Jeremiah Sammy. John Dishon to 2nd.
  • Yadiel Rivera singles on a ground ball to center fielder David Kandilas. John Dishon scores.
  • With Kyle Dhanani batting, wild pitch by Jeremiah Sammy, Yadiel Rivera to 2nd.
  • Kyle Dhanani called out on strikes.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Helena's Rivera completes cycle bid

Milwaukee prospect's ninth-inning single caps five-hit outing

By Ashley Marshall / Special to MLB.com

Milwaukee prospect Yadiel Rivera has been swinging a red-hot bat since arriving in Helena a month ago. On Monday, he turned in his finest performance of them all.

The shortstop went a perfect 5-for-5 with five runs scored, four RBIs and a walk at Mike Lansing Field as the Rookie-level Helena Brewers defeated the Casper Ghosts, 12-3.

His cycle was the second in the Pioneer League this season. David Kandilas of the Ghosts recorded the league's first in almost four years in a 14-7 rout of the Ogden Raptors on June 24.

Rivera led off the game with a double to left field, and he came home two batters later on Nick Ramirez' sacrifice fly. The shortstop then smacked a two-run homer with one out in the second before drawing a walk in the fourth.

A native of Puerto Rico, Rivera doubled and scored again in the sixth frame, and he legged out a run-scoring triple in the eighth. Due to bat fourth in the top of the ninth, Rivera needed help from his teammates to get a shot at completing his cycle, and he came to the plate with two outs after John Dishon reached on a single.

Rivera promptly wrote his name into the record books by belting an RBI single back up the middle to extend the Brewers lead to 12-3.

The 19-year-old is batting .331 with six homers and 23 RBIs in 27 Pioneer League games. He has hit safely in each of his last 16 contests, and he has failed to reach base just twice since being sent down to Helena. In his last six games, he is 16-for-26 (.615) with 11 runs scored and nine RBIs.

In 32 Midwest League appearances with the Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, Rivera -- selected in the ninth round of the 2010 Draft -- hit .194 with four extra-base hits and five RBIs.

On Monday, Ramirez was 3-for-5 with a homer, a double and five RBIs, combining with Rivera to help left-hander Mike Strong (2-0) to his second victory in three games. The Minnesota native allowed one run on a solo homer over seven innings. He walked four and struck out three.

Casper's Patrick Johnson (0-2) took the loss, yielding five runs on seven hits and a walk while fanning four over three frames.

Yadiel Rivera is hitting .268 with seven homers through 59 games over two levels. (Photo from Helena Brewers)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2011/07/19/HUYl54oR.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Cardinals Blow Six-Run Lead in 8-7 Loss

Brevard County Rallies to Take Game Two at Roger Dean Stadium

By Tyler Krochmal / Palm Beach Cardinals

JUPITER, Fla. - The Palm Beach Cardinals (13-12, 42-52) blew a six-run lead and were unable to take advantage of four RBI from Domnit Bolivar in an 8-7 loss to the Brevard County Manatees (10-12, 37-55) Monday night in game two of a four-game series at Roger Dean Stadium.

Francisco Samuel (0-2, 21.60 ERA) gave up four earned runs on four hits and a walk in one inning of relief to suffer the loss for Palm Beach, his second in four games with the team this season. Samuel, a 24-year-old righty out of the Dominican Republic, spent the first two months on the Class-AAA Memphis disabled list after suffering a shoulder injury while pitching for St. Louis in Spring Training. He previously gave up four runs in 0.1 innings June 20 in his 2011 Palm Beach debut.

Palm Beach jumped on the board early in the first inning with a pair without even recording a hit, as four straight one-out walks and a Rainel Rosario sacrifice fly put the score at 2-0. Brevard County came back with a run in the second thanks to doubles from D'Vontrey Richardson and catcher Shawn Zarraga, with the latter recording the RBI.

Niko Vasquez began the big third-inning rally with a one-out single, after Greg Garcia was thrown out trying to stretch a single into a two-bagger, and was followed by a double from Xavier Scruggs before Bolivar launched his third homer of the season, a three-run shot, to left. Rosario then walked and Adam Melker delivered a single to set up Luis De La Cruz to cap the scoring with a two-run double to center that gave Palm Beach a seemingly comfortable 7-1 lead.

Cardinals' starter Richard Castillo battled through the first four innings, allowing just the one run while striking out seven, before running into some serious trouble in the fifth. Scooter Gennett began the rally with a ground-rule double to straightaway center, followed by a run-scoring hit from Kentrail Davis and an error by Ted Obregon. Hunter Morris and Khris Davis added singles, Richardson recorded an RBI-groundout and Shea Vucinich chipped in a single to cut the six-run lead to three after five.

Samuel was called upon in the seventh in relief of Jesse Simpson, who fired a scoreless inning while striking out two, and immediately gave up a single and RBI-triple to Morris that began yet another Manatees rally. Davis followed with a walk and Richardson knocked in one with a double to left to tie the game before Zarraga drove in the eventual game-winner with a sharp single through the middle.

Palm Beach managed to load the bases with just one out in the eighth but was unable to push across the tying run, ending up 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position and with 11 men left on base. Bolivar recorded four RBI, Garcia, Scruggs and Melker had multiple hits and Vasquez scored twice for Palm Beach. Jeff Lyman finished the game out of the bullpen with two scoreless, hitless innings.

Roque Mercedes (1-1, 5.14 ERA) earned the win for Brevard County with 1.2 scoreless innings of relief while Bradley Blanks picked up his first save.

Palm Beach will attempt to turn things around against the team with the league's worst record tomorrow night in game three of the four-game set as righty Eric Fornataro (6-7, 3.91 ERA) opposes right-hander Nick Bucci (5-8, 3.82 ERA) at 6:35 PM (5:35 Central).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers hit the road with victory as Brooks Hall flirts with no-hitter

by Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

Article link includes photo gallery

GRAND CHUTE — The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers had an exit strategy prior to hitting the highway for a lengthy road trip.

Depart Grand Chute on a high note with a well- executed win.

Brooks Hall and Greg Hopkins made sure the Rattlers started a nine-game, three-city road swing with some juice.

Hall threw 6 2/3 innings of no-hit ball, while Hopkins slugged a pair of home runs and knocked in four runs in Wisconsin's 9-3 win over the South Bend Silver Hawks Monday afternoon.

Hall, a 6-foot-6, 21-year-old right-hander and Milwaukee's fourth-round pick in the 2009 draft, held the Silver Hawks hitless until shortstop Zach Walters lined a two-out double over the head of center fielder Chad Stang in the bottom of the seventh.

"Yeah, I had a clue that I had one (a no-hitter) going, but I wasn't thinking about it," said Hall. "I was just trying to execute. I threw him a changeup that was down and he hit it on the end of the bat. It was a bad read on my part, but that's baseball."

Hall had excellent command of his pitches, striking out six and walking only one in raising his record to 5-2 and lowering his ERA to 3.82. Yazy Arbelo followed with a single for the lone run off Hall, who departed after seven innings.

"I had a terrible bullpen, but as soon as the game started, that competitiveness kicked in and I felt really good," said Hall.

Hopkins and the rest of the Rattlers gave Hall plenty of run support. It was the first multi-homer game of Hopkins' professional career and the 22-year-old third baseman went three-for-four.

"We had kind of a tough loss Sunday and I didn't feel like I helped us too much," said Hopkins. "So I called my hitting guy back home (Mansfield, Mass.), Jeff Barnhardt. He's a friend of mine and has always been kind of a mentor. We had a good talk and he got me clicking again. He's helped me a bunch in my high school and college career."

The victory snapped a three-game Wisconsin losing streak and was one of the Rattlers' best all-around performances of the summer.

Wisconsin collected 12 hits, played error-free ball and received exceptional mound work.

The Timber Rattlers departed on their road trip shortly after the game, hopping on the team bus for an eight-hour trip to Lansing (Mich.) where they will start a three-game series with the Lugnuts Wednesday morning at 11:05 AM.

Wisconsin will stay in Michigan for a three-game series in Midland with the Great Lakes Loons, then travels to Clinton (Iowa) for three games with the LumberKings. The Rattlers' next home game isn't until July 30 against Burlington.

Although most Timber Rattlers prefer home games, Wisconsin has actually fared better on the road. The Rattlers are 23-21 away from home and 25-25 at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

"I do like being home, but it comes with the game," said Hopkins. "Actually it's kind of nice to get a change of scenery by hitting the road. To me, it doesn't really matter where I'm playing. Either way, you have to bring the same intensity. I don't think I play any different. The change in the routine is the only different thing."

Hopkins, though, admitted he wasn't looking forward to the long bus ride to Lansing.

"The bus trips are definitely the worst part and it depends on what kind of motel we're staying at," said Hopkins. "It's nice to get more than one pillow on your bed sometimes. But that's it. The bus rides can be tough on you physically. You're trying to get as much rest as you can and get ready for the game, but sometimes it's hard to take a nap."

Many Timber Rattlers players pass the time on the bus trips by watching DVDs, reading, listening to music, playing video games and keeping in contact with friends and family.

"I catch up with my friends and family a lot because there's plenty of time to talk and text," said Hopkins.

Hall is more of a video game fanatic during bus trips.

"Super Mario Nintendo — that's what you'll find me doing on the bus trips," said Hall with a laugh. "You try and get some sleep, but it's tough when you have everyone yelling and everything. But it's minor league baseball. It's not bad at all. The bus has Wi-Fi and the hotels we stay in aren't trashy or anything."

For family men like Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson, who resides in Appleton year-round with his wife, Julie, and two children (Maddox and Aubrey), the road trips are just a way of life for the Erickson family.

"The minor league lifestyle, the baseball lifestyle generally can be a little tricky," said Erickson. "But my wife is amazing. She actually thinks I'm home a lot more these days because when we started our relationship I was playing baseball and gone all the time. It's a lifestyle you adjust to. You have to prioritize and organize."

Wisconsin pitching coach Chris Hook is also married with two children, but doesn't see road trips as a big deal since his family remains in Cincinnati during the baseball season.

"My wife and two boys come up for visits, but we decided not to move the whole family up just for the summers," said Hook. "I don't live here year-round so every game is pretty much a road game. I've been doing it for 20 years. Wherever I'm at, it's just another day at the ballpark."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Nashville 5, @Iowa 3, 10 innings

DES MOINES, Iowa - The Nashville Sounds plated a pair of runs without the benefit of a hit in the top of the tenth inning to hang a 5-3 defeat on the division-rival Iowa Cubs on Monday evening at Principal Park in the opener of a four-game series.

In the decisive tenth, Taylor Green and Mat Gamel drew back-to-back one-out walks from Iowa reliever Chris Carpenter before the pitcher-catcher exchange failed the I-Cubs. With an 0-2 count on Sounds catcher Mike Rivera, the next two offerings went to the screen to allow Nashville to take the lead (audio).

A Carpenter wild pitch allowed the baserunners to advance to second and third before a passed ball charged to I-Cubs catcher Welington Castillo permitted Green to race home with the go-ahead run. Rivera lifted a sacrifice fly to center to plate Gamel with an insurance run that extended the visitors' lead to 5-3.

Nashville left-hander Daniel Meadows retired the Cubs in order in the bottom of the tenth to secure the victory and earn his first career Triple-A save.

Reliever Sean Green (1-5), who worked a scoreless ninth for the Sounds, was awarded his first victory of the year, while Carpenter (2-2) was tagged with a blown save and a loss after giving up two runs in his two innings of work despite not allowing a hit.

With the franchise's 2,500th all-time win (audio of the final out), the Sounds (44-52) snapped their three-game losing streak and improved to 2-9 in extra-inning play this season. It was Nashville's league-leading 43rd one-run game of the year.

Rivera gave the Sounds a 1-0 lead when he belted a two-out solo homer to left in the top of the fifth inning. The big fly, which came against Iowa starter Alberto Cabrera, was the backstop's fifth of the year.

Iowa evened the score in the fifth when Brett Jackson drew a one-out walk from Nashville starter Frankie De La Cruz and later came around to score on Tyler Colvin's two-out RBI triple to right off Sounds reliever Mike McClendon.

Gamel (2-for-3) powered Nashville back in front in the sixth when he slugged his team-leading 19th roundtripper of the year, a two-out solo shot to right off Cabrera.

The Sounds' defense stifled a pair of attempts by Iowa to re-tie the score in the home half of the sixth, combining to throw out two runners at the plate in the inning.

After Brad Snyder led off the Cubs' sixth with a single, he was gunned down at the dish by a perfect relay from center fielder Brett Carroll and shortstop Edwin Maysonet cut him down at the dish as he attempted to score on a Ryan Flaherty double. Later in the inning, Flaherty himself was erased at home as Gamel fielded a one-out Marwin Gonzalez grounder and threw plateward for the out.

Left-handed reliever Mitch Stetter made his first rehab appearance for Nashville, taking the hill in the bottom of the seventh. After retiring the first batter on a groundout, he allowed a Colvin single before serving up a go-ahead, two-run homer to Castillo. The Iowa backstop's 12th home run of the year gave Iowa its first lead of the night at 3-2.

Stetter was charged with a blown save after he worked two-thirds of an inning, allowing two runs on two hits with one strikeout while throwing 22 pitches (15 for strikes).

The Sounds threatened in the eighth, placing a runner on third with two outs, but Cubs reliever John Gaub struck out Rivera to escape the inning unscathed.

Nashville didn't go down without a fight in the final frame, either, rallying to knot the score at 3-3.

Caleb Gindl led off with a single up the middle off Gaub and Maysonet, while attempting to lay down a bunt, drew a four-pitch walk to put a pair of runners on base. Carpenter took over on the hill for Iowa and pinch-hitter Andy Gonzalez sacrificed the duo into scoring position with one out. With Eric Farris at the plate, Carpenter uncorked a wild pitch that allowed Gindl to scamper home with the tying run. Maysonet advanced to third on the play but was stranded there as Farris struck out and Jordan Brown grounded out to end the inning.

Brown singled in the first inning to extend the Sounds' longest active hitting streak to seven games.

The teams continue the series with another 7:05 PM matchup on Tuesday. Right-hander Mike Fiers (2-0, 2.08) will man the bump for the Sounds to face Iowa right-hander Nick Struck (0-2, 6.30).

Nashville Box Score

Taylor Green and Caleb Gindl each walked twice, Gindl also singled -- it's been fun focusing on these two throughout the AAA campaign...

Nashville Play-by-Play

Mitch Stetter's 7th inning as lefty bat Tyler Colvin singled before a long ball was given up -- not good...

Iowa Bottom of the 7th

• Pitcher Change: Mitch Stetter replaces Mike McClendon, batting 9th.
  • DJ LeMahieu grounds out to first baseman Mat Gamel.
  • Tyler Colvin singles on a ground ball to center fielder Brett Carroll.
  • Welington Castillo homers (12) on a fly ball to right center field. Tyler Colvin scores.
  • Brad Snyder called out on strikes.
  • Pitcher Change: Jim Henderson replaces Mitch Stetter, batting 9th.
  • Ryan Flaherty flies out to left fielder Jordan Brown.

If Mike McClendon is on the Mets' list of five, force them to select or pass on him ASAP so that the Brewers can make use of him should they pass.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Record heat, strange ending as Iowa falls in extra innings

by Rick Brown, Des Moines Register

The heat index was 114 degrees Monday, the highest on record at Principal Park. The game-time temperature, 97 degrees, was the hottest start to a contest since a 99-degree reading on July 19, 2006.

A perfect night for extra innings, a 3 hour 40 minute game and a strange ending.

Few in the announced crowd of 4,736 were around to see the 10th inning, when Nashville scored two runs without the aid of a hit for a 5-3 victory.

With one out in the top of the 10th, Iowa reliever Chris Carpenter walked Taylor Green and Mat Gamel. Both advanced a base on a wild pitch. Green scored the go-ahead run on a passed ball charged to Iowa catcher Welington Castillo. Gamel then scored on Mike Rivera’s sacrifice fly to center.

Iowa was also a generous host in the top of the ninth, when the Sounds tied the score on a single, a walk, a sacrifice bunt and Carpenter’s wild pitch.

Iowa had taken a 3-2 lead into the ninth, thanks to Castillo’s two-run homer in the seventh. Castillo’s 12th homer of the season came off Mitch Stetter, who has been on the Milwaukee Brewers’ disabled list since May 15 because of a hip injury.

That erased a 2-1 deficit thanks to a pair of two-out solo homers by Rivera in the fourth and Gamel in the sixth.

Rivera, the Sounds’ catcher, was also front and center in a crazy bottom of the sixth when he had a pair of putouts. Iowa had three hits and failed to score.

Brad Snyder led off the Iowa sixth with a sharp single to right. Ryan Flaherty followed with a double to left center, and Snyder was on his horse.

Nashville center fielder Brett Carroll retrieved the ball, then fired it to cutoff man Edwin Maysonet. He threw a strike to Rivera, who tagged Snyder out.

Scott Moore singled to put runners at the corners with one out. But Flaherty was out at home trying to score on Marwin Gonzelez’s grounder to first. The bases were full of Cubs after Maysonet booted pinch hitter Lou Montanez’s grounder, but leadoff hitter Brett Jackson bounced out to first to end the inning.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We've had a "Hurricane" -- what about "El Ciclón" for Rivera?

Nah... they blow hard for a while, then fizzle out. Especially tropical storms. They always lose power once they hit the main-land. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

In the decisive tenth, Taylor Green and Mat Gamel drew back-to-back one-out walks from Iowa reliever Chris Carpenter before the pitcher-catcher exchange failed the I-Cubs. With an 0-2 count on Sounds catcher Mike Rivera, the next two offerings went to the screen to allow Nashville to take the lead (audio).

But how is Chris Carpenter going to explain this to his son? (That it wasn't him playing for the Iowa Cubs).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Baseball America reminds us about a 16-game hit streak as well --

Brewers shortstop Yadiel Rivera went 5-for-5 and hit for the cycle yesterday (while doubling up on doubles) for Rookie-level Helena. In the process he extended his hitting streak to 16 games. A ninth-round pick from Puerto Rico last year, Rivera hit just .194/.224/.262 in 103 at-bats for low Class A Wisconsin this season before settling in the Pioneer League. He's batting .331/.372/.587 through 121 at-bats, and he leads the PL in runs scored (26), ranks third in extra-base hits (16) and second in hits (40), RBIs (23) . . . and strikeouts (37).

Archived