Brewer Fanatic

Chase Headley and Jason Bartlett

I only bring it back up because of a post on Bernies Crew:

Potential Offseason Move of the Day

3B Chase Headley, San Diego Padres

If the Brewers wish to make a splash and acquire a starting third baseman for the 2012 season, switch-hitting Chase Headley should top their list. He is a quality defender at third base who hit .289/.374/.399 with the Padres last season -- making him one of the most valuable third basemen in the league, according to WAR.

The power numbers are largely absent, as he only hit four home runs, but much of that is due to the home ballpark of PETCO. Away from PETCO in 2011, Headley mashed the baseball to the tune of a .330/.399/.465 triple-slash line. Compare that to a home line of .243/.348/.326.

Miller Park could bring out the best in Mr. Headley.

If you take into consideration what he has done outside of PETCO and moving into a "hitters" park that we have I think it could be a huge upgrade at 3rd. Especially considering his defense.

Headleys Career splits:

Away: .303/.364/.441 with a BAbip of .374

Home:.229/.319/.336 witha a BAbip of .297

For comparison

McGehee career splits:

Away: .258 .305 .400 BAbip of .279

Home: .273 .335 .453 BAbip of .303

More specifically @ Miller Park:

Headley - .278/.361/.463 BAbip of .293

(Also the stadium he has the most HR in outside of PETCO)

I just think if you take him out of PETCO and you have at very least the player that Casey has been before this year with much improved defense. Add in the fact that he is a switch hitter to better balance out our lineup as well.

Hart R

Morgan L

Braun R

Weeks R

Headley S

Gamel/McGehee L/R

SS

Lucroy R

Pitcher

IMO that is a very good lineup that could contend again next year with our pitching.

I don't dislike Headley, but between a bit of a McGehee rebound & what Green could well possibly do, I just don't see any great reason to trade for Headley that couldn't be trumped by what Green might also be able to do, and for a fraction of the price.

Is an 800 OPS better than what you'd expect from a Green/RH 3B platoon? Headley will cost about $15M over the next 3 seasons, and Green will make minimum. I don't dislike Chase by any means, but he'd eat up a lot of the money available.

This sums it up pretty well. If Green wasn't able to OPS .800 with full-time at-bats, I guess I'd be ready to move on. But I think he could hold his own on the RH side of a platoon. Green/Hairston makes sense to me.

Headley could well put up Corey Hart-ish OPS tallies playing in Miller Park, however. He'd probably be more BB-heavy & have less 2B/HR power, but a solid player who could move to the (corner) outfield if needed.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived