Brewer Fanatic

Chase Headley and Jason Bartlett

Seeing that the Padres will most definitely be sellers and DM is likely looking everywhere to upgrade our SS and 3B holes, I think we could definitely match up with them for Chase Headley and Jason Bartlett. Bartlett has been discussed in multiple threads, so I won't focus on him too much. Headley would seem to be a logical choice to go after in an expanded deal. He hits from both sides of the plate, plays very good defense and carries a career line of .270/.344/.392 while playing at Petco. Additionally, he draws walks at a decent rate. Headley can be a free agent after 2014 so he's right in the middle of his arbitration eligible years. I know some of you dislike Bartlett and his contract, but I think he's a decent enough option to replace YuBet if we can upgrade 3B for the forseeable future with Headley.

So what will it take to get this deal done? I'm not 100% sure but with the Padres, its going to be about offense. The Brewers could offer McGehee in a cost cutting move for the Padres, but judging by the fact that he is arbitration eligible as well I'm not sure this would equate to a discount despite his terrible 2011. They could offer YuBet and offer to pay his salary for the rest of the season and pass along his buyout so the Padres could have an "SS" to play for the remainder of 2011 for free. But Jed Hoyer wouldn't likely bite at that poison apple. Despite this, I think we could theoretically center a deal around propsects with one or both included in the deal.

I'd say the Brewers started with an offer of blocked, MLB-ready type prospects. I really like Eric Farris but it seems like he is a 2B and can't be a utility IF. So I'd start with him. Then I would move to corner OF. Brendan Katin is 28 and hasn't seen MLB. He has some pop and is blocked by Braun and Hart. I include him while I remain fearful they hold out for Caleb Gindl. Then I'd offer them a choice of YuBet and/or McGehee. If they want both, they can have them. If they want one, take them. But they have to take one. I love Casey and wish he could stay, but I think he'd be gone with the Padres hoping for a turnaround in SD. Padres take an underperforming former good player like McGehee and hope for a turnaround plus he is still relatively cheap. From the Padres end, they also receive the salary relief from getting out of Bartlett's deal.

Like I said, I have no clue what it would take or even if Headley is available, but a Headley/Bartlett for McGehee/Farris/Katin may work for both clubs. Even if the Brewers threw in a low Minors prospect as well. The Padres get younger for the future with decent prospects and salary relief from Bartlett's deal, as well as the hope that McGehee is not a total lost cause. The Brewers immediately insert those guys into the lineup and begin to look a lot more balanced. Plus I like Headley in the #2 spot in the order. After this deal, I would pencil in a: Morgan/Headley/Braun/Fielder/Weeks/Hart/Lucroy/Bartlett lineup that is so much better than tonight's lineup in Arizona.

I'd be interested in both players, but we'd need to make a real offer. The Padres value defense, they would have no interest in McGehee. Farris has no value, he's a bad AAA player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Love the thought of getting those 2 guys, but I don't think that deal gets it done. Not so sure Melvin will be looking to deal for any more than a rental at 3rd either, even though he apparently doesn't think enough of Taylor Green to give him a shot this year.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I don't think, and haven't heard anything about the Padres making Headley available. He's not making much, and isn't arbitration eligible until next season, so it wouldn't make any sense for him to be available.

Yeah, to get Headly, I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and give up a couple pieces that match in SD.

Kyle Heckathron jumps to the top of the list of pitchers that could thrive in Petco.

Hecakthorn+Gennet+perhaps someone like Farris.

That with the contract of Bartlett could be enough to pry the two away.

At that point, I do think we'd be just about set.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't think giving up a little more to get Headley in the deal as well is all that bad of a thing. He's a talented player who is bound to hit better outside of Petco park, and he's controllable. Not to mention he switch hits and plays 3B well defensively. The Brewers need a SS and a 3B at this point, so it makes sense.

Now I haven't heard much about SD making Headley or Bartlett available but I personally think basically everyone save a couple of their SP's are available. I think Headley could be had for something like HiandTight said. Farris, Heckathorn, and someone else. Bartlett hasn't been playing great this year and has a bad contract for his play

Yeah, the Pads aren't going to look to trade Headley. Classic 'they take our junk & give us useful pieces' idea.
Flat out disagree with this statement. I personally like Farris as a 2B prospect. I don't know about the Padres system and if they have a stud 2B prospect, but if we didn't have Rickie, Farris would likely be looked at as the future at 2B. Katin is a blocked power hitting OF. Maybe a little old, however, in Petco, raw power would play. I hedged by saying they may ask for Gindl, which I would still do. McGehee is the type of player I would target as a buy low player, especially in a rebuilding small market. He certainly could turn things around. We just aren't afforded that being in a pennant race.

Bartlett's contract is an unnecessary expenditure in SD. They brought some guys (Bartlett, Hudson, Cantu, Harang) in the event they could replicate last season's magic. They haven't and now its time to flip those contracts. By us assuming a slumping Bartlett and all of his deal, ala K-Rod, we don't have to give the higher end prospects for the inclusion of Headley. If I were a Padre fan, I would be tempted by this deal for sure as Bartlett has proven nothing to deserve the contract and Headley has 2 HR from a power hitting position.

Could they get more for Bartlett and Headley? Maybe. But I wouldn't call this a junk for gold deal.

Chase Headley has arguably been the Padres best player this season. He's entering the prime of his career, plays a premium position (look how bad offensive 3B numbers are throughout the league. it's not just McGehee), and is arbitration eligible for the next three seasons. Why would they trade him at all, let alone for a mediocre 2B/utility prospect (.712 career minor league OPS), a 28 year old minor leaguer, along with McGehee and/or Betancourt? 2 players with no future in our organization + 1 major leaguer who is struggling terribly for a team's best (or 2nd best) player is the definition of a junk for gold deal.

Flat out disagree with this statement. I personally like Farris as a 2B prospect. I don't know about the Padres system and if they have a stud 2B prospect, but if we didn't have Rickie, Farris would likely be looked at as the future at 2B.

Farris is already 25. His future is now, and he's not even a decent AAA player. If we didn't have Rickie, Green or Gennet would be the 2B of the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Well it's a disagreement about worth then. I truly like Farris and would not like to part with him. However, his limitations to 2B limit his value to the Brewers since Rickie will hopefully be the 2B for another 5-6 seasons. I feel he represents a decent prospect to those without a stud 2B prospect. Whether that is the Padres, I don't know. I just don't feel he is junk like some do.

Chase Headley has arguably been the Padres best player this season. He's entering the prime of his career, plays a premium position (look how bad offensive 3B numbers are throughout the league. it's not just McGehee), and is arbitration eligible for the next three seasons. Why would they trade him at all, let alone for a mediocre 2B/utility prospect (.712 career minor league OPS), a 28 year old minor leaguer, along with McGehee and/or Betancourt? 2 players with no future in our organization + 1 major leaguer who is struggling terribly for a team's best (or 2nd best) player is the definition of a junk for gold deal.
Because they have a top 100 prospect who is blocked by Headley who's absolutely raking at AA(and just got promoted to AAA).

It would make a lot of sense to trade him.

Again, a package of Heckathorn, a GB pitcher for that massive park with good stuff would be an excellent fit.

Scooter Gennett is another guy who I think fits in very well at Petco with his gap power. Could easily see him racking up 40 dbls down the road playing there.

George Kottaras or Maldonado to give them some catching depth they lack.

And then Bartlett is also blocking one of their top young prospects and he's got very little value.

Plus they could also take Katin and or Farris as well. Katin could be a nice bat off the bench for them and Farris a filler until Gennett is ready(whom I'd rally hate to trade).

If they had any interest in trying to see if Casey could figure it out the rest of this year and then turn around and deal him in the off-season to give Darnell more time, or start next year with him as their 3rd basemen to keep Darnell away from Super2 status would be up to them. But the range of players I've listed I think is about what it'd take to make such a deal.

Here's a better question, for the sake of argument;

Mat Gamel+Tyler Thornburg+Chris Narveson for Chase Headly+Mike Adams+Chad Quallis+Tim Stauffer+Jason Bartless....who says no? Kinda a bit over the top, but that could really address all of our needs and give the Padres some nice pieces moving forward.

Not sure I'd do it, but for the time being, Betancourt gets his walking papers, McGehee gets sent down to AAA, as does Estrada to work on getting stretched back out. Stauffer steps in as our #5.

Lineup of

Hart

Morgan

Braun

Prince

Weeks

Headley

Lucroy

Bartlett

The pen sets up as follows

CL-Axford

SU-KRod

7th-Adams

MRP-Qualls

MRP-Hawkins

MRP-Loe

Loogy-Braddock

Long Man-Dillard/McClendon(the Long man wouldn't be as important)

Rotation

Greinke

Gallardo

Marcum

Wolf

Stauffer

Like I said, just in a rhetorical scenario, who says no to this one? Not that I'd be in favor of giving up such a huge haul for the long term, but you would improve your team a GREAT deal, at 3rd, SS, and in the BP.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Because they have a top 100 prospect who is blocked by Headley who's absolutely raking at AA(and just got promoted to AAA).

Again, a package of Heckathorn, a GB pitcher for that massive park with good stuff would be an excellent fit.

Scooter Gennett is another guy who I think fits in very well at Petco with his gap power. Could easily see him racking up 40 dbls down the road playing there.

And then Bartlett is also blocking one of their top young prospects and he's got very little value.

Just because there's a prospect raking doesn't mean they have to deal Headley. He's been the best hitter in their lineup this season and he's under team control for three more years. Move him to a corner outfield when Darnell is ready (or just put Darnell there when he's called up...idk enough about Darnell's defense relative to Headley). I suppose it could make sense to trade Headley, but I think given his production/contract status it would take waaaaay more than what people are proposing (though to be fair your proposal might at least be in the ballpark). They might listen to offers, but it's not like they're shopping him. I think they'd want a piece that could be a significant part of their future, and I don't think the Brewers have many players who fit that description in their system.

Plus they could also take Katin and or Farris as well. Katin could be a nice bat off the bench for them and Farris a filler until Gennett is ready(whom I'd rally hate to trade).

If they had any interest in trying to see if Casey could figure it out the rest of this year and then turn around and deal him in the off-season to give Darnell more time, or start next year with him as their 3rd basemen to keep Darnell away from Super2 status would be up to them. But the range of players I've listed I think is about what it'd take to make such a deal.

Here's a better question, for the sake of argument;

Mat Gamel+Tyler Thornburg+Chris Narveson for Chase Headly+Mike Adams+Chad Quallis+Tim Stauffer+Jason Bartless....who says no? Kinda a bit over the top, but that could really address all of our needs and give the Padres some nice pieces moving forward.

Not sure I'd do it, but for the time being, Betancourt gets his walking papers, McGehee gets sent down to AAA, as does Estrada to work on getting stretched back out. Stauffer steps in as our #5.
Lineup of
Hart
Morgan
Braun
Prince
Weeks
Headley
Lucroy
Bartlett

The pen sets up as follows
CL-Axford
SU-KRod
7th-Adams
MRP-Qualls
MRP-Hawkins
MRP-Loe
Loogy-Braddock
Long Man-Dillard/McClendon(the Long man wouldn't be as important)

Rotation
Greinke
Gallardo
Marcum
Wolf
Stauffer

Like I said, just in a rhetorical scenario, who says no to this one? Not that I'd be in favor of giving up such a huge haul for the long term, but you would improve your team a GREAT deal, at 3rd, SS, and in the BP.

Have you heard what a reliever like adams is going to command?

Gamel + Thornburg + Narv probably wouldn't even net Adams alone, hes arguably the best relief arm out there. They want a top 50 guy. Not a former top prospect, a good prospect, and a #5 starter.

Jed Hoyer hangs up when he hears the name adams.

Gamel and Thornburg is way too much for Adams. He's a relief pitcher for goodness sakes, those guys are lucky to be worth 2 wins in any particular season where as starting pitchers can be worth more than 7...

If you're the GM of a team and anyone wants to offer legit position talent (which actually contributes everyday) and legit starting pitching talent (worst case if healthy a MLB reliever), you take the deal 100 times out of 100. I'd be upset to give up 1 of those guys for a reliever, let alone 2 talents for 60 innings per season.

Relievers are the least valuable assets on any team's roster. If you think about how players become relievers it makes sense because generally speaking they are failed starting pitchers. Maybe they didn't develop a 3rd pitch, maybe they have command issues, maybe they have special velocity but haven't put it together... whatever. The point is there is no where near the value in 60 innings as there is 180+ plus innings. Why would any GM want to give a closer the same money as it costs to sign an average starting pitcher? There's just not good value in relief pitching at all, unless you can trade it for legit talent coming back.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If someone called Doug right now and offered him two players on level with Gamel and Thornburg for Krod, first off he would look around and see if there any hidden cameras and then say yes with a tee hee and a little dance.

Have you heard what a reliever like adams is going to command?

Gamel + Thornburg + Narv probably wouldn't even net Adams alone, hes arguably the best relief arm out there. They want a top 50 guy. Not a former top prospect, a good prospect, and a #5 starter.

Jed Hoyer hangs up when he hears the name adams.

Gamel and Thornburg don't land Mike Adams? hahahah

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really don't understand why the Brewers would trade for a third baseman without even trying the guy in their own system who's excelling in AAA.
Well, we are willing to employ (and frequently use) Mark Kotsay. So there is a fresh dose of insanity active in the Brewer organization.

However, I totally agree with you. Bring up Green, focus on replacing Yuni. It's not like we expect Green to turn in a .900 OPS in Milwaukee. Not even .800. But his defense is better than McGehee's and he certainly has a good chance to outhit him. Why spend rare currency (in this case prospects) when you have an option at AAA? Sure it's riskier, but you can't keep trading our best prospects.

PS - I love Headley. I think it would take a lot to get him. But a lot more than what people are suggesting.

I really don't understand why the Brewers would trade for a third baseman without even trying the guy in their own system who's excelling in AAA.
Well, we are willing to employ (and frequently use) Mark Kotsay. So there is a fresh dose of insanity active in the Brewer organization.

However, I totally agree with you. Bring up Green, focus on replacing Yuni. It's not like we expect Green to turn in a .900 OPS in Milwaukee. Not even .800. But his defense is better than McGehee's and he certainly has a good chance to outhit him. Why spend rare currency (in this case prospects) when you have an option at AAA? Sure it's riskier, but you can't keep trading our best prospects.

PS - I love Headley. I think it would take a lot to get him. But a lot more than what people are suggesting.

To be honest I don't even feel like it's riskier at this point. I would like to compare it to you have $1. You can risk that dollar and either receive $50 (Green plays well overall), $10 (Green improves defense at third but hits similar to McGehee) or $0 (Green falters). Who wouldn't take that opportunity, you are out a dollar at the worst.

The Brewers are not moving Thornburg at this Point especially for a relief Pitcher. We need to address bigger needs like SS and the play at 3rd. I have to think the Brewers are lery of moving Green up to Milwaukee even if it to platoon with Casey. I really wonder if in the back of DM mind if he expose KROD at the trading deadline. I just hope the brewers when they add the infielder can play some defense.

• 3 months later...
cvollbrecht[/b]]I think this topic is worth bringing up again. I think these 2 guys (mostly Headley) would be huge additions to our roster. Depending on the price I think it is at least something to look into.
I have re-read all the posts and everyone is in favor of acquiring Headley and Bartlett. I agree with Bartlett at SS, but disagree with Headley.

Other than defensively, I used 162 game averages from baseball-reference (because guys do have bad years like McGehee in 2011) and it shows the following:

Avg HR RBI

Headley .269 11 62

McGehee .263 19 90

With Taylor Green as a platoon option at worst, Headley just doesn't seem worth the risk.

Archived