Brewer Fanatic

Kameron Loe: What value does he bring to the team?

Looks like he's blown another game, yet Roenicke keeps running him out there in clutch situations. The title is an offshoot of the Yuni thread because everyone seems to harp on Yuni and Kotsay, but in my view, this is the biggest problem with the team right now. I think it's time to discuss whether Loe should go.

He would make a heck of a large pinata if it was allowed. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Honestly, on a team w/ a competent manager he would be a good Roogy. We don't fit that caveat right now though...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Roenicke has often been dumb about using Loe against good lefthanded batters, but some of the blame falls on Melvin. We have no lefty in the pen for Roenicke to use in spots where a tough lefthanded batter is up. We really could use a loogy.

I found it quite funny and telling at the same time after the Helton double. FSN quickly turned to a dugout shot of Roenicke standing there with the look of disbelief on his face. Or a look of "not again!" Or controlled rage. It was something like one of those three. His eyes were very glassy and staring off onto the field. Maybe, just maybe, he is starting to see the light.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't think it's purely a lefty/righty thing. Loe is a sinker/slider guy who is leaving pitches belt high. Righty or lefty, a good hitter generally crushes the pitch that Helton got tonight- Loe hung the slider and split the plate in half. This has been happening too much with him this year.

Loe has tons of value, when a manager uses him properly vs right handed batters. His sinker and slider are filthy vs righties. Hopefully some day Roenicke will realize this or one of his other coaches (I am looking at your Narron and Kranitz!) will let him know.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Loe has tons of value, when a manager uses him properly vs right handed batters. His sinker and slider are filthy vs righties. Hopefully some day Roenicke will realize this or one of his other coaches (I am looking at your Narron and Kranitz!) will let him know.

I would tend to agree with everyone above. I'm not sold on the idea of the 'ROOGY'- considering this team is stocked with RH relievers, but I think that Loe should be a situational guy pitching to one or two batters at a pop, and at the bottom of the pecking order at this point (behind the other four). I still think that Melvin needs to address the lack of a LH arm in the pen to avoid situations like last night.... the major issue being that none of the 'sellers' seem to have any of these guys worth trading for (maybe not a coincidence). Stetter isn't showing much progress either.

Loe has a lot of value sitting on the bench with a lead or tie score.... Today our 4 best relievers pitched the 6th thru the 9th and that's how it should be with Saito and Hawkins exchanging the 7th inning. Loe should be only in the game if the brewers are behind or we go to extra innings. Is our manager smarter than a 6th grader? Don't think so.....

I agree with most of you guys that Loe's only value is facing RH hitters. He just can't be used against LH hitters. Especially LH power hitters. He hangs that slider too often and LH just jump all over it. His sinker is ineffective against a lot of LH because lefty like pitches down.

I've been pretty hard on Loe, but my gripe is mainly over the way he's been used. As it stands right now, he deserves a spot on the roster, as he's better than other options we have. However, I worry that as long as he's on the roster, Roenicke will continue to believe that he's our 3rd best reliever behind Axford and K-Rod. If was nice to see Hawkins and Saito enter the game ahead of Loe yesterday (when we had a 2-run lead to hold), and if that trend continues, and Loe is used mainly when we are down in games or when three righties are due up in the inning, then I think he can provide value to the Brewers. If Roenicke names Loe his "7th inning guy," then Melvin needs to replace Loe (or Roenicke) with someone else.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So you either use him as a ROOGy, or use him in garbage innings. Problem is, that is (or should) be the same role Dillard has. There's only so many arms in the pen, and you can't reserve 2 guys for that role. Especially since Estrada is reserved for long relief and garbage innings also.

I refuse to believe DM is stupid and doesn't understand they need a lefty in the pen. So he's out there trying to get something done. In the meantime, would it be worth bringing up Narron? I just don't see why yo uwouldn't give him a shot to bridge the gap between now and when we can find a more "legit" LHP. Who knows, maybe he can be effective. If not, at least they tried.

I refuse to believe DM is stupid and doesn't understand they need a lefty in the pen.

I would guess that any lefty we acquire (either through trade or bringing someone up) would replace Dillard, but I'm still concerned that any injury to a starter will hurt us badly as Estrada was our #6 starter, performed well as a fill-in at the beginning of the season, and now is not stretched out to start. Estrada should go back down to start in the AAA rotation, and Loe / Dillard should be able to handle the "long guy" role for the few times this season we need it.

In the meantime, would it be worth bringing up Narron?

Unless Estrada gets stretched out, Narron is likely our #6 starter. Seeing Marcum leave with a sore shoulder yesterday once again awoke my concerns that we are really close to seeing Narron as a regular starter at the Major League level.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Loe is not purely a ROOGY. However, RR needs to understand that in tight situations you can't leave Loe in their against the opposition's best LHB. Helton, Votto, Chipper Jones, etc..

Loe can face some lefties (especially the lesser hitters), but those big lefties when the game is close... He has to come out.

Archived