Brewer Fanatic

Khris Davis

jjfanec
I know this board has been thrilled by Davis' play and frustrated by the teams unwillingness to move him up a level. I am trying to understand why he has not been promoted like most. My main question is, has the organization talked about him at all. I know they have talked highly of some prospects recently like Thornburg, and Manzanillo so I was wondering if they talked much about Davis who has been so good

Just completely a guess but Corey Hart's contract goes through 2013. Hart will be a free agent in 2014. The Brewers are not going to rush Davis in the slightest and instead will hope he proves to be a great replacement for Hart in 2013 or 2014

Best case scenario I see it similar to Ryan Howard who was kept in the Phillies minor league system extra time and was an older MLB rookie

First we'll need to see if Davis can rake in AA ball. I'm sure the Brewers organization is well aware of Davis' potential

Just completely a guess but Corey Hart's contract goes through 2013.

Hart will be a free agent in 2014. The Brewers are not going to rush

Davis in the slightest and instead will hope he proves to be a great

replacement for Hart in 2013 or 2014

I can see the Brewers doing this. It's dumb, but that's kind of why I can see them doing it. You never hold a prospect back to time it with the impending free agency of another player. If Khris Davis got promoted today and rakes the rest of the year in AA, it would be a real possibility to trade Corey Hart in the off season to help boost the system. Also, what if Davis stays in BC all season then Hart gets hurt for a month to start the season like he did this year? Khris Davis should have been promoted 3 weeks ago and every time I see a BC box score I wonder what the Brewers are thinking holding him back in A+.

It's funny, I was reading JSO, and there were a couple posters hoping Khris Davis would be in the trade as they were absolutely positive he would never play for the Brewers.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'll try to be as nice as I can here, but people who comment about the Brewers on the JS are a wee bit uninformed.

The worst is when they take some of the dumbest comments and post them in the paper. The one about how the trade for K-rod was a terrible trade because Melvin just invested 20+ million into a closer...and he's ruining our future by giving up our prospects was particularly humorous.

There was an article today about how Rickie Weeks should wear his hat properly. Enough said.

I'm high on Davis but his lack of position is troubling. I think he'd make a fine first basemen, but Milwaukee seems intent on wasting a high draft pick on a college first basemen every year so there may not be a position for him. Why not try Gamel in RF once Davis is ready for the big leagues. Gamel has a RF arm and I thought I remembered him saying he'd rather play RF than 1B.

The best move would be having Davis in LF and Gamel in RF with Braun moving to 1B.

I'd be fine with that. Whoever is the better LF between Braun and Davis with Gamel in right and the other at first base. You'd have to have an awfully good center fielder to make up for that outfield defense though.

I'd be fine with that. Whoever is the better LF between Braun and Davis with Gamel in right and the other at first base. You'd have to have an awfully good center fielder to make up for that outfield defense though.

Gomez and Morgan do fine with Hart and Braun in the corners. You can't really get any worse than Braun and Hart in the OF.

Davis is older than Caleb Gindl. I've seen people compare Davis to Braun, but when Braun was this far into his pro career he was already dominating MLB pitching. Nice find in round 7, but has some limitations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've seen people compare Davis to Braun

My comparison of Davis to Braun is more based on a player that would be a defensively below average LF with a 900 OPS bat. And that is more a comparison of Davis' ceiling. I wasn't trying to compare careers.

I'll also throw out that Braun was 22 at Brevard, while Davis is 23. So its not a huge age difference there...

There was an article today about how Rickie Weeks should wear his hat properly. Enough said.

I'm high on Davis but his lack of position is troubling. I think he'd make a fine first basemen, but Milwaukee seems intent on wasting a high draft pick on a college first basemen every year so there may not be a position for him. Why not try Gamel in RF once Davis is ready for the big leagues. Gamel has a RF arm and I thought I remembered him saying he'd rather play RF than 1B.

I'm pretty certain Gamel said just the opposite. That he did not feel comfortable in the OF.

But when that time comes, perhaps Gamel becomes trade bait, perhaps Gamel hasn't performed as expected, or perhaps we have a number of viable OF candidates which makes dealing Gamel easier to swallow.

The one thing I know for certain with regard to Davis, if he continues to hit, he's going to be very valuable to the Brewers, be it as a trade chip, or as a everyday player for us.

Gomez and Morgan do fine with Hart and Braun in the corners. You can't really get any worse than Braun and Hart in the OF.

I think you could pretty easily do worse than those two in the OF. I think both are a little unfairly criticized defensively. Don't get me wrong, they're not good defenders, but this post suggests they're Johnny Gomes and Adam Dunn out there.

I'm pretty certain Gamel said just the opposite. That he did not feel comfortable in the OF.

If you're sure I'll take your word for it, but I thought he said he'd rather play the outfield. I'm just going off memory though and I could be wrong. Guys got a cannon of an arm. I'd like to see how that translates into the outfield.

If you're sure I'll take your word for it, but I thought he said he'd rather play the outfield. I'm just going off memory though and I could be wrong. Guys got a cannon of an arm. I'd like to see how that translates into the outfield.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/102017398.html
"It was a lot easier for me (in right field) than first base," said

the third-base prospect, who played two games at first and five in right

with Class AAA Nashville before being called up by the Brewers. "It's a

lot less stressful.

"It's tougher than people think. First (base) ain't easy. I have a lot more respect for those guys knowing what they do."

This was right after he was initially moved off of 3B in 2010.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I no longer have to type out either his or Kentrail Davis's full name when referencing them in game recaps. To "Davis"!

I think we should just drop "Davis" and refer to them as Ke and Kh.

That looks to much like elements on the periodic table.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I personally like Gindl over Davis. Davis offers more power potential, but Gindl can hit for plenty of power too.

Gindl's numbers this year are pretty similar to Davis's and Gindl is 22 playing in AAA while Davis is 23 playing A+. I hope they both end up being solid contributors at the big league level, but for now I am liking Gindl a bit more. Do they both offer about the same defensive tools? Haven't read much on eithers defense.

Davis actually was just promoted to AA -- played his first game there last night, iirc. That doesn't change your general point, however, & I'd argue that the organization has been holding him back, as he probably should've been at AA months ago. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I view Davis as really only one level behind Gindl, which speaks more to Gindl's success than anything about Davis -- just imo.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived