Brewer Fanatic

The Future of Draft Pick Compensation

RyDogg66

This was a quote from the JS blog regarding the reworking of the K-Rod contract.

Additionally, the Brewers retained the right to offer Rodriguez

arbitration after the season, which would entitle them to compensatory

draft picks if he signs with another club - assuming draft-pick

compensation is part of the impending labor negotiations between the

Players' Association and Major League Baseball.

First, when does the current labor deal expire? Is it a guarantee that draft compensation will be part of the 2011 offseason and 2012 draft?

My thoughts for reworking draft pick compensation are as follows:

Instead of splitting draft pick compensation up by how clubs finish a season record-wise, it should be determined by where clubs finish a season salary wise.

Teams that finish in the bottom 10 in payroll: Their first round picks are protected, and if they lose type A free agents they get two compensatory picks - just like the system is set up now.

Teams that finish in the middle 10 in payroll. Their first round picks are not protected, but if they lose a type A free agent they get two compensatory picks, again just like they system is set up now.

Teams that finish in the top 10 in payroll. Their first round picks are not protected and if they lose a type A free agent they can only be rewarded a teams 2nd round pick. Not first rounders, no sandwich picks.

You can't tie it to payroll. Any hint that teams would be rewarded for paying players less and the players union will balk. You can't reward teams for purposely tanking.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Draft pick compensation & arbitration must go-away....

It's biased toward the rich teams......because they can afford to offer arbitration to marginal, underachievers ....and if those players accept arbitration they can afford to keep the bloated contract

The reason for arbitration is to prevent holdouts. If it goes away, it would have to be replaced with something else, possibly earlier free agency.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

nothing wrong with arbitration but things MUST be changed in terms of how Type A and B ratings are given out. It is flat out sickning how many players get graded and over graded. They hand out type A's like candy at a parade. It is uncalled for. Teams just bank on compensation when they shouldn't because many of these players are not nearly worth what they graded. Prince Fielder is a Type A, K-Rod-Type A, Pulos, and etc.... guys who are legit annual all-stars, possible HOF players. In 2010 names such as Athur Rhodes, Benji Molina, Jorge De la Rosa, Migual Tejada (5 years ago yes, 2010 noway in he double hockey sticks), Roman Hernandez, Jason Kubel, Jason Fransor and etc.. the list http://www.aolnews.com/20...y-elias-player-rankings/

Type B FA need to be guys who are possible All-stars here and there and extremely important everyday players such as a Cory Hart should be and what a Jayson Werth SHOULD have been. The link has about 31 Type A's given out, 49 Type B. 2011 Draft had 33, REPEAT 33 (4 of them where where teams took picks) compensations given out!!!! That is more than a whole extra round of the draft! Plus 3 more teams gain picks 2nd round.

Its wonderful when the second round doesn't even start until pick 61 :roll:

While big market teams will still gain their picks it will be less, (no more picking up 9 day 1 picks for an already outstanding team and farm system). I think comps can be a good thing but not when you are giving crap to medicore players type A and B's. They should be for elite and very good, plus players. The way they hand them out Yuni looks to be a B but who knows, a few more HR's and they may give him an A. Complete Joke of a system....terrible

Whole thing really bugs me.

But then you have teams like the Brewers, who if compensation goes away

will get absolutely nothing for losing Fielder. At least under the

current system they get some sort of ammunition to reload their farm

system.

I'm at the point where I'd be fine with the whole thing going away. It's a joke and it hurts the worst teams. The whole draft is a joke. North Americans have to be drafted but everyone else is a free agent? That's crap. If MLB is going to continue to refuse to address the problems with payrolls and if they are going to continue to fool themselves into thinking there is as much parity in MLB as there is in any other sport then the least they can do is take the draft seriously. This is the only tool small market teams have to try to compete with everyone else and even the draft favors large market teams. Baseball has 30 teams. The first pick in the "second round" last draft was pick #61. That means the Pirates had to wait for basically an entire round of comp picks before they got to pick again. That's not right.

I'd rather just see the changes be as follows. Sign a type A free agent, lose your first round pick. Sign another type A, lose your second round pick. And so on. No type B's.

The only thing I would change is making teams give up their picks and limit the number of Type A players teams can sign. Instead of having to give up a pick I would just add picks to the first round. Not sure the union would go for that though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived