Brewer Fanatic

Braddock optioned to AAA; Dillard recalled

Man i wish we had a lefty that could be called up who could fairly consistently get at least lefthanded batters out.

It's frustrating to see other teams have 2-3 lefties in their pen that are at least a decent LOOGY, but the Brewers have absolutely nobody right now from the left side in the pen, be it the big league roster or AAA.

I'll worry about a lefty in the pen when I think the Brewers are getting enough good play at the other 8 positions for it to matter. There just seems to be way too much overthinking going on with respect to some issues and a lack of willingness to take risks on others.

The Brewers are not a deep organization. To me the way to handle this roster is fairly simple: You start with the best X number of pitchers in the organization at the big club, filling in X with whatever number of pitchers you want on the roster. Right now that list is roughly (in no particular order):

Gallardo, Marcum, Greinke, Wolf, Narveson

Axford, K-Rod, Hawkins, Saito, Loe, Estrada, McClendon

I don't see what added value Braddock or Dillard or Stetter bring other than simply being leftys (or a guy with an allegedly tough deleivery for lefties in Dillard's case). Is that one attribute enought to put them on the roster? None of the lefties have proven to be an asset. Why carry one on the books just to have one?

I'll worry about a lefty in the pen when I think the Brewers are getting enough good play at the other 8 positions for it to matter. There just seems to be way too much overthinking going on with respect to some issues and a lack of willingness to take risks on others.

The Brewers are not a deep organization. To me the way to handle this roster is fairly simple: You start with the best X number of pitchers in the organization at the big club, filling in X with whatever number of pitchers you want on the roster. Right now that list is roughly (in no particular order):

Gallardo, Marcum, Greinke, Wolf, Narveson

Axford, K-Rod, Hawkins, Saito, Loe, Estrada, McClendon

I don't see what added value Braddock or Dillard or Stetter bring other than simply being leftys (or a guy with an allegedly tough deleivery for lefties in Dillard's case). Is that one attribute enought to put them on the roster? None of the lefties have proven to be an asset. Why carry one on the books just to have one?

I agree to a certain point, but my thought is that we need to figure out some way (hopefully relatively cheaply) to find a lefty from outside the organization who can supplant one of the guys on this list. Obviously Herrera was not the answer, but it does show that DM has at least kicked the tires on this idea as well. I am sure that if we are looking at October baseball this fall that we will need to fix this problem and the sooner the better.

Are there other options besides Dillard? I appreciate Dillard's hard work and perseverance getting here, and his efforts switching to sidearm etc. But when I watched him pitch for the Brewers he did not look like a major league caliber pitcher to me. I guess every team needs a mop up guy. But Dillard should not pitch in close situations until he can prove something. His minor league stats look alright.

Can we go out and bring Shouse out of retirement?!
Just came in here to post this. I mean seriously, how much could he have possibly lost on his high 81-82 fastball?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I agree, no point in having a lefty just for the sake of having one. They do need to find a good one who can actually help. Now, that doesn't even matter if they can't hit on the road and if the starting pitching isn't consistently better. But, just like the deal for KRod, just because it isn't the top priority doesn't mean it's something not worth pursuing.

I agree the goal of finding a LOOGY is worth pursuing. I just don't understand the thought process behind simply recycling the same few guys in-house as opposed to just sticking with the best pitchers you have and then improvising in those situations where a LOOGY might be of use. Somehow, back in the mists of time, the games went on without LOOGYs. It's certainly better to have a good one. I just don't beleive it's worth a roster spot to have a bad one.

Archived