Brewer Fanatic

Cause for concern about Zach Braddock (2/2012 update at reply #31: feeling "great")

Bombers

He cannot throw strikes and when he does its 93 and straight down the middle. He is of no use to the brewers. He has been this way for the entire time he is with the brewers. Even when he gets people out, he is all over the place and batters swing through pitches or at bat pitches.

He is of no use to the brewers. He has been this way for the entire time he is with the brewers.
Well, he no-used himself into a good 33 innings last year.

I'm guessing he's having continued sleep or something else-related struggles off the field. His FB velocity is way down from where it should be. It's only off on average 1.7 MPH (93.1 to 91.4) from last year, but he was regularly sitting at 93-95 in the minors a few years ago. His slider also hasn't been nearly as sharp this year as it was last year and before.

There's something going on. I hope it isn't his arm, and I hope whatever it is, they get it squared away, for next year at least.

He cannot throw strikes and when he does its 93 and straight down the middle. He is of no use to the brewers. He has been this way for the entire time he is with the brewers. Even when he gets people out, he is all over the place and batters swing through pitches or at bat pitches.

Like And That said, he was pretty solid last year, even if his WHIP was a little high (though WHIP can be a little higher with relief pitchers). I'm sure these sleep problems are still affecting him. He's had stretches where he's pitched well this year but lately he's been terrible. I would send him back down to work things out again.

Also, and I'm not trying to attack you, but it seems like every post I read of yours is negative. You say that Braddock is awful and has been that way his whole career, which just isn't true. You called Greinke a "sally" in the game in which he was taken out after giving up 7 runs in 2 innings and blame him for hurting the bullpen, even though he easily could've pitched longer. Roenicke just took him out, while he left Wolf in a few days later to get beat up. You also seem to be negative toward the posters here as a whole. In the Cirillo thread, you passive aggressively said something about not having the same "silly opinions" you see here (as in on this board). And here's another quote from you "And I you are never allowed to get out with guys on base if you are disliked by brewerfan or you are awful as well." I'm not sure what that means but it seems to be another talking down to this board. You've also complained in the in-game thread about people who complain about Yuni/Greinke/McGehee's struggles. There have been other instances as well but I don't feel like looking them all up. I know you've also said some positive things but the negative stuff, especially the negative stuff directed toward people here, really sticks out. If you think everyone here are idiots or whatever, then why come and post? Some of your comments seem more suited to the jsonline board.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Zach hit 94 a couple of times last night before he was pulled, but it's not good that he usually tops out below his average FB velocity last year. Pitchers just don't lost that much velocity from 1 season to the next without injury or some sort of other problem, it's not natural. It could be a sleep thing, I don't know, I've never dealt with anything like personally or worked with a player going through that sort of thing.

As And That noted his slider isn't all that good this year, he's not locating it and it's not the same quality of pitch as it was in the past. I'd like him to develop a good change as well, but he needs to get his bread and butter stuff figured out first.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have faith Braddock is gonna turn this thing around. Maybe for now let him concentrate on lefties to get his swagger back because the team definitely has the horses to get righties out. IF this team makes the playoffs they are gonna need Braddock to perform in the clutch as scary a concept that may be.

Zack had a great year last year. Before he got sent down, he had a 2.19 ERA. This whole demotion thing has gotten Braddock off track. They should've never demoted him in the first place. Ever since the demotion he has been terrible.

Yeah, I don't think the demotion helped at all. He was pitching great at the time, and now he doesn't seem to be himself. Either way, they can't go on with him being the only lefty in the pen. They either need to bring Stetter back when he's healthy, or acquire another lefty.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

The problem is who goes to bring up another lefty? It would have to be Estrada with Loe serving as the long man? Going from "eigth inning guy" to "mop up guy" in 2 months.......interesting. I just think Loe has more value than long reliever but less value than eighth inning guy. SO who goes in this instance assuming no trades...

The problem is who goes to bring up another lefty? It would have to be Estrada with Loe serving as the long man? Going from "eigth inning guy" to "mop up guy" in 2 months.......interesting. I just think Loe has more value than long reliever but less value than eighth inning guy. SO who goes in this instance assuming no trades...

I think the easy call would be Braddock. Send him down to work on his issues while bringing in another lefty to take his place.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Like And That said, he was pretty solid last year, even if his WHIP was a little high (though WHIP can be a little higher with relief pitchers). I'm sure these sleep problems are still affecting him. He's had stretches where he's pitched well this year but lately he's been terrible. I would send him back down to work things out again.

Also, and I'm not trying to attack you, but it seems like every post I read of yours is negative. You say that Braddock is awful and has been that way his whole career, which just isn't true. You called Greinke a "sally" in the game in which he was taken out after giving up 7 runs in 2 innings and blame him for hurting the bullpen, even though he easily could've pitched longer. Roenicke just took him out, while he left Wolf in a few days later to get beat up. You also seem to be negative toward the posters here as a whole. In the Cirillo thread, you passive aggressively said something about not having the same "silly opinions" you see here (as in on this board). And here's another quote from you "And I you are never allowed to get out with guys on base if you are disliked by brewerfan or you are awful as well." I'm not sure what that means but it seems to be another talking down to this board. You've also complained in the in-game thread about people who complain about Yuni/Greinke/McGehee's struggles. There have been other instances as well but I don't feel like looking them all up. I know you've also said some positive things but the negative stuff, especially the negative stuff directed toward people here, really sticks out. If you think everyone here are idiots or whatever, then why come and post? Some of your comments seem more suited to the jsonline board.

I post negative stuff to fit in here. That is what every thread is all about. Complaining about what is wrong and how the brewers can be fixed. I don't see how any negative posts of mine are any different. I disagree with some of them and comment on them. I am nowhere near as negative as most here. The world is always falling here and then a winning streak brings momentary joy. Braddock has been and always will be a headcase. He has awful control even when he is getting outs. I never want him in high leverage situations, especially as the season gets later. Getting a lefty is probably next on DM's list. And SS will probably as well but only with a journeyman type.

I agree that the DL stint and the demotion seems to be the root of these issues, he wasn't too bad before that. Reading between the lines on some of the quotes from Roenicke, I also think that there is more going on with him than a simple sleep disorder. This team needs a LH reliever that can get lefties out consistently. Herrera need not apply...

It seems the Brewers have been sharing the same concern b/c after tonight's game, Braddock was optioned & Dillard was recalled. Hopefully the decent Dillard shows up. Can't be any worse than Braddock lately.

One asterisk, though: While Braddock was bad last night, he still only gave up one run while in the game. It was Loe who came in and promptly allowed all 3 guys on base to score. . . . So I do consider Loe a not-too-distant 2nd to Braddock in being lousy lately, and Estrada can't be that far behind.

Asterisk, part 2: Granted, a couple of Estrada's losses were in starts, but between Loe & Estrada, it's a bad sign when two counted-on relievers combine for a 5-13 record. That means WAY too many games being blown by the bullpen.

It seems the Brewers have been sharing the same concern b/c after tonight's game, Braddock was optioned & Dillard was recalled. Hopefully the decent Dillard shows up. Can't be any worse than Braddock lately.

One asterisk, though: While Braddock was bad last night, he still only gave up one run while in the game. It was Loe who came in and promptly allowed all 3 guys on base to score. . . . So I do consider Loe a not-too-distant 2nd to Braddock in being lousy lately, and Estrada can't be that far behind.

Asterisk, part 2: Granted, a couple of Estrada's losses were in starts, but between Loe & Estrada, it's a bad sign when two counted-on relievers combine for a 5-13 record. That means WAY too many games being blown by the bullpen.

Do you really think the way Braddock was pitching that he wouldn't have allowed more guys to score? You can't put that on Loe, it's a lot harder to come in with runners on base and try to get guys out than it is to start a clean inning.

Wow the inactive list... if we lose Salome and then Braddock to mental issues in back to back years I'll be furious.

I'm not making light of mental illness, I'm concerned that where there's smoke there's fire and maybe the organization isn't doing everything it could be for this type of player.

Zach please come back healthy and effective at some point.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I post negative stuff to fit in here. That is what every thread is all about. Complaining about what is wrong and how the brewers can be fixed. I don't see how any negative posts of mine are any different. I disagree with some of them and comment on them. I am nowhere near as negative as most here. The world is always falling here and then a winning streak brings momentary joy. Braddock has been and always will be a headcase. He has awful control even when he is getting outs. I never want him in high leverage situations, especially as the season gets later. Getting a lefty is probably next on DM's list. And SS will probably as well but only with a journeyman type.

This is just asininely ignorant. I love the default, "he's struggling to throw strikes, so he's a headcase," type arguments.

He has had some very public issues that he's dealt with, but to directly attribute those to his inability to throw strikes to me, strongly suggests that you've never played any level of baseball.

Sorry, this type of blanket statement is always a pet peeve of mine.

You also failed to support your absurd notion that he's never been good for the Brewers...which is just simply not true any way you look at it. He's always been good up with the Brewers save for the last few weeks. So...either support that opinion or lets find a new talking point to insult a person's character, shall we?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 1 month later...
i'm concerned about the current status of zach braddock . . . can anyone update me, please?

I am also curious. I haven't found any news except the occasional mention that he is on the inactive list (which I read today). OT, but I haven't heard anything about Parra either. On the bright side, we will have a lefty in the pen with Narveson for the playoffs. My only concern about that is Narveson sometimes gets lit up by the first couple batters he faces until he gets loose/comfortable/warmed up. Not a quality you want in a reliever.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Archived