Brewer Fanatic

Miller Chill

LouisEly
Quote:
Liquor companies cannot run ads on television.

They relaxed the rules on this a long time ago. I can think of about 10 different kinds of liquor that I've seen ads on TV for in the past week.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah. Haven't you noticed all the ads for Jack Daniels, Absolut, Captain Morgan, etc. on TV over the last couple years? It basically happened after 9-11, because the networks supposedly needed to start making money after all the commercial free air-time that they ran.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If you can make it out to Silvercreek Brew Pub I Cederburg, you're doing yourself a favor. They have a wide selection of their own beers on tap as well as plenty of other good beers on tap. A real beer drinkers pub.

If you go, you have to get their Maibock. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/nerd.gif z glass and about 12% alcohol. They have a nice, darker IPA as well.

Great environment and overall a very nice, secluded place.

They CAN run liquor ads on television. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the annoying "Bacardi and Cola: They Get the Job Done" ads. or commercials for DiSarrono, Captain Morgan, Absolut, etc. I cannot recall if a law was relaxed, or if the industry decided not to self-impose restrictions on TV ads any longer.

My very first bartending gig was being the sample bartender/tour guide at the leinies brewery. At the time, they had just come out with the seasonal brews and the two summer ones were the honey and berry. People started mixing the two and hence the name "honey bear".

Well, the tour is all scripted out, but after giving one day after day every half hour, it gets old. I decided to add my own twist to make the tour more entertaining. I had many stories that I added from talking to the brewmaster and other workers, but my favorite was my one leinie joke. If people would take it one step further and mix the honey weis, berry weis, and big butt beers, instead of a honey bear.....you would get a hairy butt. I killed with that on the tour, but Jake would always scold me for that one.

"The ads for Captain and Jack are for the malted brews. They may not show it much, but technically it's for the little bottles of stuff."

Uh, no. I'm not an expert on liquor, but I'm pretty sure that big classic bottle of Jack Daniels they show in the commercials with bands playing is not a "malted brew".

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I picked up a 12-pack yesterday not sure what to think and I really enjoy it. I'm mostly a microbrew drinker because the big brewers make some pretty bad beer, but Miller got this right. The lime isn't overpowering and the salt is really subtle. I can see myself drinking it a lot on hot summer days.

Yeah, I finally found a six pack of this last night (at a liquor store, the big grocers around here don't seem to have it), and I really like it. Much more enjoyable than, say, Miller Lite, personally. Seems like a really nice summer beer. The lime taste was stronger than I expected, and that's a good thing. Seems like a nice beer to buy a six pack and split with a buddy on a hot day outside, that kind of thing.

I'm a big lime fan, personally...Tom Collins and lime margaritas when I'm not drinking beer tend to be my thing.

Don't let beer snobs tell you what you "should" like in a beer. I still love Corona with a lime, even though that has "bit the shark" long ago. I hate Miller Lite, Bud Light, etc. Sam Adams is scorned by many, but I love many of their brews.

Miller Chill is good. I wouldn't drink it all the time, but it's a nice change-up every once in awhile during the summer. Just like Mike's, Summer Shandy, etc.

The ban on liquor ads was self imposed by the networks in order to keep the FCC off their backs. In 2000 or 01 NBC started accepting booze ads to run on SNL (which you need to be hammered to watch anyway). Slowly, everybody else picked up on it.

From what I recall, they still try to limit those ads to later on in prime time.

Oh, and whoever came up with the SoCo and lime commercial needs to be sent to the same circle of hell the "Bella Delina!" people were sent to.

Hooray Beer!

TLB: I miss the Dane. Its one of my saddest things about being in Milwaukee instead of Madison: Not having ultimate league nights to go to the Dane afterwards.

I have yet to try this, but it sounds like I should drink it with my female friends... as I tend to not enjoy the sweeter beers myself.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Regarding "Miller Chill", didn't Miller Brewing create a "Man Law" strictly prohibiting the "fruiting of the beer"? That is, it's against a Man Law to "Fruit the beer".

I get the feeling Miller has broken one of their very own man laws by....fruiting the beer.

As per the ad's:

"Can you put a lime or any other fruit in your beer? No, fruit is completely off limits in beer. If one was to put fruit in a beer, they might as well put a little umbrella in it and call it a "beera colada". Man Law: "Don't Fruit the Beer.""

• 1 month later...
I half expected the new post on this topic to say Miller was pulling the plug on the product. I actually like it for a refreshing change of pace on a hot AZ day.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Chill would be okay with a Taco or something, but I couldn't imagine drinking a few of them at a time.

My regular staple is a local favorite - spotted cow.

One beer company I would suggest is Berghoff. They are a Wisconsin brew at very nice prices most of the time. If you are looking for a like 'summer' beer, try their Solstice Wit -- almost a citrus feel to it.

Archived