Brewer Fanatic

Miller Chill

LouisEly

So I was down in SD last weekend watching the Brewers put out a pathetic three hits against Jake Peavey and the Padres (and the first two of those were bloop hits that, had the fielders been positioned differently, would not have landed darn near making it a no-hitter). Needless to say after the game I needed a beverage. I went to Dick's Last Resort, an old favorite of mine from my time in Chicago, but it was crowded. So a couple doors down 5th St. is the Rockin' Baja Lobster - not a favorite place of mine, but if you had seen the girl minding the beer cooler out on the patio you would have stopped there too.

On the side of the cooler/beer stand was a banner for Miller Chill - a "light beer with a hint of lime and salt". I had never seen this before, and couldn't tell if it was a joke or a real beer. So I asked the girl ("Can I ask you a dumb question?...), and sure enough she pulled one out. It has kind of a clearish greenish yellow bottle and says "Miller Chill". On the neck label it says 110 calories and 6.5g carbs (so more than Miller Lite). And it was actually tasty - I feared too much lime or salt but not the case. It was really just a hint of lime and salt that made the beer just a little more refreshing. I'd buy it again.

Funny thing is that I haven't seen it anywhere. They didn't have it at BevMo on Monday, and that's saying something, because they have to have over 100 beers there. (I asked the manager and he said they didn't have it, and if presented it "would reject it" because they already have plenty of Miller product.)

Have any of you had, seen, or heard of it yet? Or is it just being test-marketed in select locations like San Diego?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen commercials for it on DBacks broadcasts, so I know it exists. haven't seen it up in my neck of the desert yet, though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think it might just be in the San Diego/Arizona market testing right now...I saw it at the same place (terrible name and atmosphere, decent shrimp) there this past weekend (didn't try it though) but haven't seen it anywhere else up here in NorCal.

Didn't see you Saturday night, by the way

What's with the lime? Trying to go with Corona's schtick?

I don't think that product would fly real well in the Midwest. It just sounds like a beach thing.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Miller Chill was the first widely produced beer of its kind in the United States. Miller began testing Miller Chill in Arizona, Florida, New Mexico, Texas and in San Diego, California in March 2007. [1] After blowing through sales and distribution targets in these test markets, Miller announced on April 17, 2007 that Miller Chill will be available nationally by summer.

Yeah, I think it is going after the Corona/Mexican beer market. The beauty of it though is that you don't have to fart around with the lime - it's already in it. Not a big deal if you are out at a bar/restaurant, but if at home or at a friend's house you don't need to get the lime from the grocery store or need a knife to cut it up.

Series - I didn't make it down on Saturday. Just Sunday. A friend of mine who was living in Australia made a short-notice stopover in LA for the weekend on his way to Sweden, so I stuck around on Saturday to hang out with him. When did you go to RBL? I was there Sunday after the game. Did you hang around Sunday and if so where did you go?

We have it here in El Paso. It is a take off on a Mexican beer drink called a Michelada.

From Wikipedia,

Quote:
The Michelada is a popular Mexican alcoholic beverage of a genre known in Spanish as cerveza preparada (prepared beer) and in English as a variety of cocktail. There are several variations. In some cases it is similar to a Bloody Mary but containing Mexican beer instead of vodka, although a less complicated concoction of Mexican beer with sauces and lime juice added (see recipe below) is also referred to as a Michelada. The drink dates back to the 1940s, when mixing beer with hot sauce or salsa became popular in Mexico. In recent years, the drink has begun to become popular in the United States, and now various ready-made mixes are marketed and sold to US consumers.

Bud now has a beer here mixed with clamato juice that is pretty good.

These are not for the beer purists but they are pretty good for a day beer.

Did you hang around Sunday and if so where did you go?

We didn't really hang out on Sunday...we had club seats and ate up there, and we had to leave in the 8th to catch a flight home, which was a relief in a way.

Saturday, the Jazz Fest there kinda cramped our style, but we kinda went to a variety of places downtown.

sounds interesting. It's about time Miller goes after Bud's market dominance with Corona. Corona isn't very good unless it has some fruit. Maybe Miller's product can beat it. I've never heard of Miller Chill though

Been looking forward to trying this for weeks. Wish it had a different name, though -- I like to be proud of what I'm drinking, not embarassed by it. "Miller Chill" is right up there with Marquette Gold.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

At a graduation party in Howe(TX) tonight and tried it. Meh.

Wow, is Howe still the jumping hotbed of activity in the region? I suppose you can jump on up to Clark's BBQ, but I feel bad for anyone who went on vacation and ended up in Grayson County.

Chill was being sold and promoted quite a while before I moved out of Texas. They had the girls in tight shorts handing it out down there early this spring.

what's next? fancy little umbrellas in every beer? Lite beer is girly enough.

except Wisconsin is a rather obese state. While we should exercise (we all have excuses), little things like shifting to a light beer are first steps

Archived