Brewer Fanatic

100% Speculation -- Guess the two minor league PTBNL's for K-Rod

Brewer Fanatic Staff

According to Doug Melvin, it sounds like a definitive list of players for the Mets to choose from in the K-Rod trade has yet to even be finalized. That doesn't mean we can't play along.

Please review this post so you're aware of which minor league Brewers are not eligible to be included in the deal.

Then, feel free to include a post in this thread as to your guess as to which two Brewers make their way to the Mets eventually (the Mets have six months to decide, but realistically will choose right after the minor league season concludes). We need to have the locals look for Mets' scouts the rest of the season and strike up conversations.

I've already chimed in with RHP Austin Ross and OF Lee Haydel.

As for two that hopefully aren't touched, hoping that relievers Santo Manzanillo and lefty Dan Meadows aren't part of this.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Also, one would think that if the Mets were working off a list of let's say, five players, then the two players chosen would be of comparable skill level and ranking.

But it's possible there would be two lists, with one list considered to be of players thought more highly of, and another with worthwhile, but "lesser" perceived talent. The Mets would choose one from each category.

So conceivably the two players could have considerably different overall prospect stature.

And once the Mets decide on a player, they may want him in the their system ASAP, so we may even find out sooner rather than later.

The Brewers only play the Mets in the FSL (St. Lucie) for their squads to evaluate truly first-hand.

Khris Davis and Fiers....Davis reminds me too much of Nelson cruz for the Brew crew not to trade him...Fiers has been great, but not a top prospect

of course, sometimes we give away Mike Adams...which sucks...

but sometimes we give away Ty Taubenheim or Cutter Dykstra and everyone forgets that it ever happened

Hunter Morris and Greg Holle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I doubt it would be anyone in AAA. PTBNL are usually guys from lower levels that teams need to further scout, or players recovering from injuries.

I wish it could be Farris (but he's on the 40) just so Don Money wouldn't be able to give him a spot at the top of the order while the real prospects bat 7th. Over the course of a AAA season, that about 100 ABs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Darn you pogo, that was my guess.

I'm going with Khris Davis and Manzanillo.

My dark horse is Arnett - it allows the Brewers to save face by saying they traded him for K-Rod if they really feel he's a bust. His last couple of starts have been very good, better than the numbers show especially from a ground ball to fly ball ratio.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Khris Davis and Fiers

Ouch, I hope not. They are two of my favorite players in the system. Fiers reminds me a Dave Bush. Not a high end pitcher, but a serviceable 4-5 SP for a few years. And I think he will transition to the BP well, also when his SP days are done. And I think its almost a lock he will have some success at the MLB level. He is probably a good guess for the PTBNL, but he is one of my favs.

Davis has a chance to be a special player. Braun is probably a good comparison for his ceiling. Big stick, poor defense. (NOTE to Brewers: Please promote him!)

I'm going to predict in a different manner:

1st Group: Ross, Heckathorn, Nelson, Fiers (I'd rather not, but...), Arnett (is there any chance???)

2nd Group: Morris, Gindl, Komatsu, Schafer, Farris

Hopefully not on the list: Kh Davis, Peralta, Scarpetta, Thornburg (known), Green, and Maldonado

I really doubt any of Halton, Hawn, Wilson, Katin, would really interest the Mets.

After looking into this a little bit more, I believe a player on the 40 man doesn't eliminate them from being a PTBNL. Including PTBNL is a way to have access to players on the 40 man if the said player they want wouldn't pass through waivers.

I found this here...

• If the player is on the 40, there are two reasons why he wouldn’t have

been traded at the time — he has to pass through waivers, or he’s

disabled. If he didn’t pass through waivers, both teams would simply

wait until after the season, at which time the waiver period ends. The

disabled list also ends after the season.

Call me a crazy optimist, but I just don't see the PsTBNL being close to impact guys. I'll guess Hunter Morris + Jimmy Nelson. My second guess is that the Mets & Brewers will wind up making a cash deal... and that actually might be my first guess.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am going with Komatsu and Ross. I havent seen Komatsu's name thrown out there much yet, and maybe his production has him at a level above the type of prospect we are giving up. Komatsu may be a win-win in that he is productive (I was going to go Schafer, but i think health/production combo of Komatsu makes for better PR for the Mets than Scahfer's upside) but is not viewed as an everday CF in the big leagues (Brewers only lose a potenial 4th OFer). For the record, I love Komatsu as a player and I would definately settle for the Ross-Haydel package originally mentioned.

Archived