Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY
I like the trade. And The two players we give up will be pretty meaningless if K-Rod becomes Type A or Type B free agent at year end. Since it is a vesting option, that we all hope doesn't vest, do we get Type A / Type B? Or since we still have to buy him out, do we sacrafice getting the extra picks?
I don't see them offering arby in this case, so Type A/Type B won't matter. There's a chance, no matter how small, that he accepts the arby offer, and there's no way Melvin and co. want to be on the hook for a 10 mil + salary for K-Rod next year.

I haven't watch K-Rod much in NY but do you think his days of receiving a multi year deal are done? If so, then ya no way we offer arby but i just think there are too many teams who are always looking for a closer or bullpen help, that will offer up a 2-3 year deal.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can never have enough good relievers in a stretch drive. The Reds series proved that. What I like is it takes away the temptation for Roenicke to return Loe to the 8th inning after a few good outings. Loe will probably now be used more in multi inning, middle relief and he's fine there as far as I'm concerned.

If need be, they could actually deal one of their veterans like Saito or Hawkins too.

I like the trade. And The two players we give up will be pretty meaningless if K-Rod becomes Type A or Type B free agent at year end. Since it is a vesting option, that we all hope doesn't vest, do we get Type A / Type B? Or since we still have to buy him out, do we sacrafice getting the extra picks?
I don't see them offering arby in this case, so Type A/Type B won't matter. There's a chance, no matter how small, that he accepts the arby offer, and there's no way Melvin and co. want to be on the hook for a 10 mil + salary for K-Rod next year.
K-Rod is a type A free agent right now. If they get indication he wants to test the market there is no reason not offer him arby. He will demand a decent multi-year deal as a free agent. Heath Bell is only big name closer out there this year.

Didn't expect to wake up to this.

If it's really just a couple of guys like Austin Ross and Lee Haydel, I think this could well turn out to be a good deal. With K-Rod in the 8th and Axford in the 9th the club should have one of the best shut-down combos in the major leagues. I'm assuming they won't even try to mess with offering K-Rod arbitration.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I haven't watch K-Rod much in NY but do you think his days of receiving a multi year deal are done? If so, then ya no way we offer arby but i just think there are too many teams who are always looking for a closer or bullpen help, that will offer up a 2-3 year deal.

If he's a type A, then there's the possibility that that alone might be a deterrent to a few teams looking to perhaps sign him. Unless they have a protected pick, I can't see TOO many teams willing to give up type A compensation in return for an overpriced (and mildly over rated) closer. Maybe I'm wrong here, I'd just hate to see him offered arby, see a weak market, and have the guy take it.

If he's a type A, then there's the possibility that that alone might be a deterrent to a few teams looking to perhaps sign him. Unless they have a protected pick, I can't see TOO many teams willing to give up type A compensation in return for an overpriced (and mildly over rated) closer. Maybe I'm wrong here, I'd just hate to see him offered arby, see a weak market, and have the guy take it.
Maybe it is the recent acquisition of Boras as his agent swaying my opinion but I just can see him accepting arby especially if he sees he will be a set up man all year next year too. Good point on the Type A scaring some people away. However, if Rodriguez did accept arby could the Brewers simply trade him to a team who wants a closer. I am assuming there are teams that would trade for one year of him

So let me gets things straight

KRod makes $11.5 Million this year of which he is still owed probably around $5 to $5.5 Million

$3.25 Million buyout for next year assuming we don't let him finish the required amount of games.

$5 Million coming back our way.

So all told the Brewers are only on the hook for maybe a maximum of $4 Million? If it is true that we aren't going to give up any legitimate prospects this seems like an awesome trade. It seems a little dumbfounding that the Mets would trade him to save $4 Million but I suppose their line of thinking was that they couldn't just yank him from the closers role so they were really saving themselves about $17 to $18 million.

If the Brewers buyout the option could and would they even consider offering arby? I am guessing they would still offer; no way a Boras client takes a one year deal right?

Because it likely eats up all the salary room the Brewers have to work with.

Every year people say this and every year Mark A proves them wrong, though.

It certainly eats up a portion of whatever finite financial resources Melvin has to play with. Perhaps Melvin already has a plan for upgrading SS but if he doesn't, his options are more limited now than they were before. There's really no way around that.

Without knowing what Melvin gave up (probably very little) and how much the Mets kicked in, it's impossible to evaluate this trade in isolation. If Melvin got $5 mil back, I can't argue with it, though. Upgrading 25 high levelerage innings during a playoff race is certainly worth that.

I was having a conversation with a friend last night and I said I think we will get a bullpen guy sooner than later. Sure enough. Many of you think the bullpen is not a pressing issue but I disagree. I think this trade can now form a pretty good bullpen. We have a true closer and setup man now (and a true backup closer). We can now move Hawkins and Saito to the 7th inning type guys and move Loe back to the middle. I think this sets up nicely. Our pen has been serviceable but now I believe our pen is pretty solid.

I have faith that we will get a SS in and maybe even a bench player. My questions is, are there many SS's out there that we can go after that aren't blockbuster type deals? I know we could really use an improvement at SS but are there many guys out there that we could actually get that give us a significant boost at the position? That's why I think we went bullpen first because it was such a nice improvement.

So let me gets things straight

KRod makes $11.5 Million this year of which he is still owed probably around $5 to $5.5 Million

$3.25 Million buyout for next year assuming we don't let him finish the required amount of games.

$5 Million coming back our way.

So all told the Brewers are only on the hook for maybe a maximum of $4 Million? If it is true that we aren't going to give up any legitimate prospects this seems like an awesome trade. It seems a little dumbfounding that the Mets would trade him to save $4 Million but I suppose their line of thinking was that they couldn't just yank him from the closers role so they were really saving themselves about $17 to $18 million.

If the Brewers buyout the option could and would they even consider offering arby? I am guessing they would still offer; no way a Boras client takes a one year deal right?

The thought is that if the Mets demoted him to a set up role to avoid the option for next year the players union would flip.

If that's the case, you basically have to trade him. Additionally that escalator will scare off teams that are looking for a closer, significantly decreasing the demand in the market for K-Rod.

This is why the Brewers were able to get him for what appears to be peanuts. The Mets needed to trade him and trading him for anything would be a win.

Why trade for a BP arm when SS is a much more pressing need? We can get by with the BP. We cannot get by with a replacement level player at SS.

Don't like it unless Doug M has something up his sleeve to replace Yuni B.

Also, I guess the new Mets owner really is a Brewers fan.

The Brewers lead the majors in bullpen losses with 20, seven by Loe alone, and Yuni is what, -1 WAR? Are you sure SS is the most pressing need?

I admit part of me wonders if the Brewers already have a side deal in place to obtain Jose Reyes once he comes off the DL. Probably not, but stranger things have happened.

Edit: Melvin is on WSSP right now and said, "Tyler Thornberg is not part of this, but they could be guys who can make the big leagues." I take that to mean these aren't top tier prospects on this list, but guys who could have some MLB upside.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Betancourt's WAR is indeed -0.8. Brewers SSs are -0.6 overall, 2nd worst in MLB.

The Brewers' bullpen WAR is 1.4, which is 13th best in MLB. (Loe's WAR in +0.4, if you want to compare him to Betancourt.)

The Brewers' team WAR at 3B is -0.3, 5th worst in baseball.

It would be fair to say, to me, that SS or 3B are both much more pressing issues than the bullpen.

I admit part of me wonders if the Brewers already have a side deal in place to obtain Jose Reyes once he comes off the DL.
Boy, if that was the case.....I'd be ecstatic! I believe Reyes is the best available SS out there, and is a gigantic upgrade over Yuni. I really believe, especially after last night, DM is going all in for this year. Prince is as good as gone, especially after the AS MVP, so this is the best chance. Casey may or may not pick it back up, but the biggest weakness is SS. If DM can get Reyes, I'd love it!!

Community Moderator

As others have said, awesome trade :-)

This is the second time that Melvin has jumped the gun and made the first move of the trading season. It was a very good decision to get this done now ahead of the 11-game road trip.

I think everyone expects that Melvin is going to deal for a SS next. It will probably mean the end of Wilson, with Betancourt moving to the backup spot. Furcal seems like the most logical choice without depleting the minors, although he will not come as easily as K-Rod. We are 3 games behind San Francisco, I would like to get ahead of them to get home field advantage in the NLDS.

If you include the $3.5 Million buyout in the budget for 2012; we are basically getting K-rod for free in 2011; that shouldn't impede us at all from adding some additional payroll.

Also Roenicke is very familar with K-rod from Anahiem; I am sure he is estatic about the deal. Lets just hope he isn't too estatic and does the right thing by leaving him in the 8th inning spot.

Axford in the 9th

K-rod in the 8th

Saito/Hawkins/Loe/Braddock - 6th/7th

Estrada - Long man

That is a pretty darn good bullpen if you ask me; is Saito returns to form that is as dominant 7th-9th innings that the Brewers have ever had.

My first thought was "DPR mismanages the pen making it look worse than it is so we go out and get a reliever." Hard to evaluate the trade without knowing the players involved. Seems like kind of a waste to me.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

To follow-up on fondy, I think DM also recognized that Hawk/Saito/Loe all benefit from rest. Saito has only a few back-to-back appearances and Hawk loses significant velocity. Part of that is that they haven't built up strength yet, but part is that they are in the twilight of their careers.

This also means that we won't have to see Sean Green again

Formerly Andersoc420

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Why not?

1) Unless they sign Prince (not holding my breath), they have money available. Although that new little league stadium being built in his name may sway his decision... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

2) If they don't really want him at that $ level, trade him. Once the $17M vesting option is gone, he becomes a more attractive trade option.

3) Really think Boras is going to accept a 1 year deal that an arbitrator will decide? Especially if #2 might happen? He might as well allow his son sign a 20 year deal with the Brewers for minimum salaries and no signing bonus...

This is obviously a move for the present (like Linebrink), but they Brewers can't afford to just "throw away" chances to improve their farm system.

What about the idea of using K-Rod as a stopper.

i.e. Narvy or Zack get in trouble in the fifth inning... rather than letting them falter and give up a crooked number, have K-Rod come in and be a fifth inning "closer". Of course he could still set up in other games when the situation dictated such.

I got the idea here (about three paragraphs below Heath Bell's stats).

P.S. Grantland seems like a pretty sweet site.

If Loe's WAR this season is +0.4 then I have lost all faith in that stat. Maybe compared to all relievers but compared to all setup men he has cost the Brewers way more wins than the average setup man. No way Loe is +0.4 compared to all setup men.

I hope Taylor Green is not one of the PTBNL. He could be an option at third - seeing as he's recovered, puts up high average, draws walks, hits a lot of doubles. If he is in front of Braun, Hart, and Gamel, he could be pretty good as a starter at third.

Of course, if Prince extends...

Archived