Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know why people are reporting who the players are when Melvin said they have to make a list for the Mets. Sounds to me like he hasn't even made a list of players yet.

So can it be like Almonte, Sean Green, or Nieves?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Holy crap. Not what I expected to see on here tonight after the ASG. Impossible to ignore KRod's value to the Mets as a 1-2+ WAR guy the last season +.
My thoughts exactly. Nicely played by Melvin, getting solid talent on the (prospect) cheap. IF the Mets actually are even going to get any players (MLB rules allow for deals like this to be converted into just a cash return instead of players, iirc), my guess is they'd be picking from guys like Farris, McClendon, Amaury Rivas, Zelous Wheeler, etc.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm pretty happen with this deal considering that Mark A is willing to take on the salary. He will help the bullpen without a question. A Saito/KRod/Axford order looks pretty good to me. Melvin did a real nice job here of acquriring a good arm on the cheap.

Give me a SS and I'll be happy.

Weren't the brewers getting a PTBNL for Carlos V and just took cash instead?

I love this. I just remember getting excited about brewers midseason trades when I was a kid and having them be junk. Nice to see Milwaukee on the other side (assuming this is salary dump deal).

wow, this really shocked me to hear. wasn't expecting this at all. with Saito back, i didn't see the bullpen being any particular point of weakness that the team would need to address in a trade. i wonder somewhat if Melvin wasn't particularly looking for a set-up man/closer and this just happened to come at the right price.

but why is it stated "Players to be named later"? i thought there was some rule with trades that you couldn't say PTBNL unless that/those players don't have particularly big prospect values, like throw-in AA and Single-A guys? Or is it more that the press just reported the story before MLB had a chance to get their official announcement out?

K-Rod already has Boras as an agent, and the Mets reportedly threw some money in. Maybe there was a particular agreement in place that the Brewers would be able to offer less in prospects (and getting the Mets off the hook for his $17.5M contract next year) but agreeing to let K-Rod go as a Free Agent next year.

the CBS report was almost sure that K-Rod would become our closer and Axford would be moved into a set-up role. K-Rod has been doing just fine as a closer this year, but why would you want to take Axford out of that role??? A couple bumps at the beginning of the season, but he's been amazing for the past two months.

Will we have any farm team at all by the end of July?

K-Rod is still pretty good and it sounds like the Brewers got him for peanuts, so it's hard to get too worked up about giving up players for a half season of relief pitching.

Still, there are very few players I've disliked more than him. Here's to hoping he doesn't have many blowups (on or off the field) while he's passing through Milwaukee.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

K-Rod as the set-up man and as a "backup closer" in case something happens to Axford fills a huge hole and takes care of a huge weakness on the Brewers

clearly we really are going for it this year, which has to mean a new SS will be coming soon, correct?

So just so I understand it: we could have K-Rod next season, too, but only if we pay him $17.5 million, right? Obviously that isn't likely to happen

Edit: Also, they "heard" that Thornburg and Hunter Morris are the two players.
This is the best post:

Karmaloop

I'm pretty sure Thornburg,

the Brewers representative in the Future's Game, will be included in

this deal. Also heard their first baseman they drafted last year might be included, Hunter Morris.

Again, if a player in the futures game was involved, it would have been named right away so the Mets could save face. This was about money.

Correction...this is the best post.

Mets board says Gamel and Thornburg is the rumor.

Thornburg is good. I hope he was in the deal!

Weren't the brewers getting a PTBNL for Carlos V and just took cash instead?

I love this. I just remember getting excited about brewers midseason trades when I was a kid and having them be junk. Nice to see Milwaukee on the other side (assuming this is salary dump deal).

Like Josias Manzanillo for Wayne Housie?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Gamel and Thornburg?? I'll miss Thornburg.

Boras always wants his players to be bid on in Free Agency, so I'm still thinking that the vesting part of the contract must have been dropped as a condition of the trade. K-Rod also currently has a $3.5M buyout, and I'm thinking that is now a significantly higher figure, which the Brewers will be automatically picking up.

not certain i'm ready to conclude that the Brewers got K-Rod for "peanuts" until I know what we gave up. Gamel and a decent prospect?--that seems fair.

Holy crap. Not what I expected to see on here tonight after the ASG. Impossible to ignore KRod's value to the Mets as a 1-2+ WAR guy the last season +.
My thoughts exactly. Nicely played by Melvin, getting solid talent on the (prospect) cheap. IF the Mets actually are even going to get any players (MLB rules allow for deals like this to be converted into just a cash return instead of players, iirc), my guess is they'd be picking from guys like Farris, McClendon, Amaury Rivas, Zelous Wheeler, etc.

If we ended up giving up not much in terms of prospects to get K-Rod, i'd credit Attanasio and Brewers fans as much or more than Melvin.

We don't know yet the exact amount of money that the Mets are sending back to the Brewers, but if say they are only paying his 3.5 million dollar buyout for next season, that would mean that Attanasio had to give Melvin the green light to add over 5 million in salary before Doug could make the trade. Hell, even if the Mets covered half of the roughly 8.5 million owed to K-Rod, Attanasio had to agree to pickup about 4.25 million to pay a setup guy to throw maybe 25-30 innings.

He's been a great owner to have, but none of this would be possible either if not for Brewers fans showing up to the ballpark at a ratio which might just be the best in all of baseball when market size is factored in.

Depending on the cash coming back, what do you think the ceiling of prospects is? If it's indeed 5 mil, I would assume better prospects. Maybe Rivas, Gennett, Gindl? If less (maybe 3.5 to cover the buyout), then Farris/Davis'?

not certain i'm ready to conclude that the Brewers got K-Rod for "peanuts" until I know what we gave up. Gamel and a decent prospect?--that seems fair.

That doesn't seem fair at all. This is a guy the Mets needed to dump. If the Brewers gave up any prospect(s) of real value, this deal will have been a bad one.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Boras always wants his players to be bid on in Free Agency, so I'm still thinking that the vesting part of the contract must have been dropped as a condition of the trade. K-Rod also currently has a $3.5M buyout, and I'm thinking that is now a significantly higher figure, which the Brewers will be automatically picking up.

If Gamel is included, he would have just been named right away.

I don't even think you can give up a player on the 40 man as a PTBNL.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

5 Mil?? That's just about what he's owed the rest of the year. I doubt that's right.

I asked it a few pages ago, but it probably got buried. Anyone know if the Brewers can get comp picks for him even if they buy him out? I want to say they cannot, but I'm not sure.

I don't even think you can give up a player on the 40 man as a PTBNL.
I'm pretty sure the PTBNL cannot be in the same league as the player traded for. So that would mean 25 man roster no but could still be on 40 man.

Stevo, if the option is declined, I believe he becomes an instant free agent, similar to if he were released, so no picks.

That doesn't seem fair at all. This is a guy the Mets needed to dump. If the Brewers gave up any prospect(s) of real value, this deal will have been a bad one.

I think it was way more than needed to dump, i think the Mets were desperate to dump K-Rod at some point before the trade deadline.

With his option for next year vesting at 17.5 million if he finished only 20 more games, they had to very badly want him off the team because unlike the Brewers, the Mets likely couldn't get away with putting Rodriguez into a setup role without the union filing a grievance.

Since the Brewers already have an established closer, they wouldn't be demoting Rodriguez by putting him in a setup role that almost assuredly will result in his big option not vesting. Thus, i think the Mets were going to trade K-Rod no matter what, it was only a matter of when, to what team, and what they got in return, not at all if.

Archived