Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't mean this to be sarcastic in any way. If we just got K-Rod on the cheap, how does that make Bell more expensive? Doesn't taking a team who needs a reliever out of the equation create a smaller, less expensive market?

I'm guessing he meant it as a fewer options, so other teams would be willing to spend a bit more to get a guy like Bell.

I don't mean this to be sarcastic in any way. If we just got K-Rod on the cheap, how does that make Bell more expensive? Doesn't taking a team who needs a reliever out of the equation create a smaller, less expensive market?

You are looking at the demand side but the supply is also less now which raises the price of the remaining relievers out there.

Did I just use Econ 101 on brewerfan.net?

Why wouldn't the Mets just have moved him to set up role for the last quarter or so of the season when they are out of the race, thus avoiding the 55 games finished? I know the fans wouldn't like this, but they aren't going to be happy with this trade either.

Tbadder - my take is the crew wasn't even in the market for a closer, so the number of teams vying for a closer doesn't change. However, the number of available closers just went down one. Then again, I've been known to mistakes from time to time. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Edit: jeez I'm slow typing tonight - too excited

I'm guessing we won't know the players for a while. I think they have 6 months to name the PTBNL. It will be a lot like the CC trade where we give them a list of players and they decided after the Minor League season has finished as to which ones they want.

Why wouldn't the Mets just have moved him to set up role for the last quarter or so of the season when they are out of the race, thus avoiding the 55 games finished? I know the fans wouldn't like this, but they aren't going to be happy with this trade either.

It's not the fans who wouldn't like it, it's the union. It would be pretty obvious what the Mets were doing if he was still pitching well and they just randomly took him out of the closer's role.

Aren't we a man down after Scarpetta was sent back to Huntsville on Sunday? So no corresponding move will be needed for now.

And the BP was short with Gamel being up until Sunday too.

Agreed - an immediate corresponding move may not be necessary...but doesn't it seem like the Brewers have a surplus of relievers now? Maybe not all awesome relievers, but still. Plus they still need a different SS.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Kurkjian just said there is no way the Brewers allow K Rod to finish 55 games. Will close some, however. If it comes down to it, and he hits the 55, it will be worth it if the Brewers make the playoffs.

Does that 55 games include the playoffs?

I would say no, but if game 55 is Game 6 of the World Series and they absolutely need him to close, they'll do it.

I like this deal because it by and large limits the amount of damage that RRR can do in late innings. Kameron Loe shouldn't see any high leverage innings anymore.

On the Cards forum Thornburg was mentioned but it's just speculating.

http://interact.stltoday....&postorder=asc&&start=24

The second post on there makes me laugh. The guy says it's stupid to trade two prospects for a high paid reliever, because what we really need is a starter or two. Lol. What an idiot. He's just jealous.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

MLB Network showed a stat right about the time they interviewed Prince and Rickie about the trade, the brewers bullpen has lost 20 games this year, the most in the majors. I didn't realize it was that bad in comparison. This looks like a pretty good deal to fill a. Hole that was hurting the team. Shouldn't preclude getting a SS either since it doesn't sound like much was given up.

Francisco Rodriguez rhp

3 years/$37M (2009-11), plus 2012 option

signed by NY Mets as a free agent 12/9/08

$2M signing bonus

09:$8.5M, 10:$11.5M, 11:$11.5M, 12:$17.5M option ($3.5M buyout)

2012 option becomes guaranteed with:

55 games finished in 2011, and

100 games finished in 2010-11, and

doctors declare Rodriguez healthy after 2011

Rodriguez receives $3.5M termination buyout if 2012 option does not become guaranteed

annual performance bonuses, 2009-11:

$0.15M each for 50, 55 GF; $0.2M for 60 GF

On the Cards forum Thornburg was mentioned but it's just speculating.

http://interact.stltoday....&postorder=asc&&start=24

The second post on there makes me laugh. The guy says it's stupid to trade two prospects for a high paid reliever, because what we really need is a starter or two. Lol. What an idiot. He's just jealous.
Multiple people think we still need starting pitching. I'm confused as to why. Maybe they think our staff should be comprised of all ace-quality pitchers. Also, they think Axford is pushed to the 8th. People can be really dumb sometimes.

Edit: Also, they "heard" that Thornburg and Hunter Morris are the two players.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

K-Rod career:

Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR BB SO SO/BB BA OBP SLG OPS
vs RHB as RHP 535 1260 1105 113 199 44 2 21 130 408 3.14 .180 .270 .281 .551
vs LHB as RHP 539 1295 1133 133 246 53 4 26 143 365 2.55 .217 .305 .340 .645

Edit: Also, they "heard" that Thornburg and Hunter Morris are the two players.
This is the best post:

Karmaloop

I'm pretty sure Thornburg,

the Brewers representative in the Future's Game, will be included in

this deal. Also heard their first baseman they drafted last year might be included, Hunter Morris.

Again, if a player in the futures game was involved, it would have been named right away so the Mets could save face. This was about money.

Between what he's owed the rest of the season and his 3.5 million dollar buyout for next year, that's around 8 to 8.5 million dollars to pitch maybe 25 innings the rest of the way.

We know the Mets included some cash, so if people were to guess, what would be that guess? I'd guess the Mets cover at least his 3.5 million dollar his buyout.

Archived