Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY

i think it was part of the deal we made with K-Rod that he'd drop his right to a $17M incentive-based contract year and we wouldn't be offering him arbitration. i wouldn't want to offer him arbitration and have to pay him that much for a year as a set-up man, anyway (i'd bet his offers would be substantially less if teams also had to give up a draft pick).

once K-Rod hired Boras and Boras was about to submit that 10-team no-trade list, the Mets brass must have been pretty frantic to trade K-Rod as soon as humanly possible. i keep thinking this trade didn't follow the standard procedure of calling every contending team, waiting on offers, calling them again and making counter-offers and such. i think DM must have been almost immediate to make an offer and then say "take it or leave it" and with no time to waste, the Mets took it. i'd bet a very interesting Haudricourt article is going to come our way in the offseason on exactly how this trade went down.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try not to forget how bad of a situation the Mets were in there. It's not really a fleecing by any stretch imo.
It may not be a fleecing but it was a great pick up for what we gave up. Two guys middling prospects for an 8th inning guy who has done a solid job

i think it was part of the deal we made with K-Rod that he'd drop his right to a $17M incentive-based contract year and we wouldn't be offering him arbitration. i wouldn't want to offer him arbitration and have to pay him that much for a year as a set-up man, anyway (i'd bet his offers would be substantially less if teams also had to give up a draft pick).

Haudricourt has said that the Brewers can still offer him arbitration. I highly doubt he would accept because he knows he won't be the closer. Also, Boras wouldn't get any of that money until he signs a new contract. Worst-case, he accepts and Brewers have a legit 8-9 combo for one more year. And they could always try to trade him.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I highly doubt our offer kept 31 other teams from wanting to add KROD and his impending type A status.

I don't have time to go back & search, but I recall reading the reason Melvin was able to get K-Rod is that the Brewers were the team most willing to take on money in exchange for getting him, & it affected what personnel the Brewers had to send back to the Mets.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Who were the other guys on the list, the Appleton bat boy and the Huntsville mascot? It's kind of hard to believe that it took the Mets months to decide on this haul.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I highly doubt our offer kept 31 other teams…

28 other teams. Carry on. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

wow... Cost us a waivers signing and a guy we let get pick up in the rule 5 draft. Rosario has some potential, very good stuff amd Herrara is not to bad. Still, a pretty nice steal! No Davis, Green, Fiers, McClendon or other names we have put out there

Wow, the only thing missing was the movie rights to the Jorge Julio story. Nice job DM...amazing.
Would the Jorge Julio story fill even a trailer? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Like others, I'm content with this cost for a few months of K-rod.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Wow this has got to be one of Melvin's best trades (up there with the Morgan for Cutter Dykstra deal). And the fact we can still (and should assuming the new CBA doesn't change the FA comp) offer him arbitration makes it all that much better.

The only thing that could make this more amazing is to offer arby, have it turned down and then have the Mets sign KRod, forfeiting their draft pick to Milwaukee. Given how this turned out, there might be an 80% chance of this happening.

That's great news. Herrara had been very good at AAA and he is just 26 so he would seem to have some value. It's nice that it frees up a roster spot for either Fiers or Gindl, both of whom earned a callup.
whose spot does logan schafer take?

that'd be an interesting gamble offering him arby. K-Rod obviously doesn't want to set up, Boras almost always elects free agency, and Boras is only going to get paid if his client declines arby. hmmmm

here's a list of 2012 FA closers, including option guys. didn't realize Bell and Nathan were that old, which probably makes KRod the cream of the crop. i could see Soriano electing FA, though.

Heath Bell (34)

Jonathan Broxton (28)

Matt Capps (28)

Francisco Cordero (37) - $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Frank Francisco (32)

Brad Lidge (35) - $12.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

Joe Nathan (37) - $12.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Jonathan Papelbon (31)

Jon Rauch (33) - $3.75MM club option with a $250K buyout

Francisco Rodriguez (30)

Rafael Soriano (32) - $11MM player option or a $1.5MM buyout

Jose Valverde (34) - $9MM club option, no buyout

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Remember that time we all thought the Mets were getting Taylor Green?

I get what you're sayin but I don't think most of us thought there was any chance of him being included. Although Melvin didn't help by waiting until a couple days ago to call him up.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

NOW I can like the deal. If we can offer him arbitration, even better. Not sure if we can or would though.

We can and should. He most likely wouldn't accept to just set-up and Boras won't get paid until he signs a new contract.

i think DM must have been almost immediate to make an offer and then say "take it or leave it" and with no time to waste, the Mets took it. i'd bet a very interesting Haudricourt article is going to come our way in the offseason on exactly how this trade went down.

DM did say how the deal went down. The Mets GM was the instigator - he called Melvin. Melvin said what the heck, I'll listen, and found what the Mets wanted in return to be too good of a deal to pass up.

I get what you're sayin but I don't think most of us thought there was any chance of him being included. Although Melvin didn't help by waiting until a couple days ago to call him up.
I certainly wouldn't have bet on Green being in the trade, but I did have the impression that many on here were a bit concerned, myself included.

I think we stole this guy and good job DM

Yea, most of the hype over what Melvin did this year was getting Greinke/Marcum, but getting both of Morgan and K-Rod for basically nothing were absolutely fabulous moves.

While Doug certainly has made his share of mistakes over the years by way overpaying for some bullpen veterans, our pen this year is fabulous and not overly expensive. Some fans IMO don't think about and then give Melvin enough credit for bringing in Axford off the bartender scrap heap, now Ax is a top 5 closer and paid pocket change. A sizable reason that we lead St. Louis by so many games is that Axford never blows saves while the Cardinals having been blowing late leads all year long. Loe was used wrong early in the season, but overall i think he's a solid relief pitcher and Doug got him for nothing. Saito has been a solid pickup given he's not paid much. Estrada was grabbed off waivers and overall has been more an asset than liability.

No question that starting pitching is more important than the bullpen, but that said, it's pretty rare to see any team make the playoffs without a solid bullpen at the very least and Doug has assembled a good one this year. In fact, Melvin has had a knack for acquiring quality relievers over the years who either were out of baseball or languishing elsewhere. It's mainly been his giving multi-year deals to veteran relievers where he's faltered.

All I heard on thos board was we gave up these great prospects, hopefully the lunatic fringe will calm themselves, GEEZO

Except of course that no one actually said we gave up great prospects; a lot of us just expressed the hope that we hadn't. You know what they say about people who live in glass asylums? No, you probably don't.

What an amazing freaking trade. Of course the Mets did what they had to, but this is classic DM at his best -- seeing opportunity and taking advantage.

Archived