Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about Braddock? I hope it's not the case, of course.
Can't be Braddock since he pitched for the Brewers after the trade (rule that PTBNL can't play in same league from time trade is announced until it is completed).

Also probably not Rogers because I would assume he is still considered a "top prospect" by Melvin, despite his injuries.

I'd actually prefer seeing Rodgers included in the trade than someone like say Kintzler as another poster brought up.

K-Rod, Hawkins, and Saito likely will be gone next year, so we'll need to fill some spots in the pen. Kintzler really impressed me before getting hurt and i could envision him becoming a key cog in the pen next year, while i've reached a point with Rodgers where it's hard to see him ever staying healthy enough to be a big league pitcher, much less staying healthy and being effective in the bigs.

What about Braddock? I hope it's not the case, of course.
Can't be Braddock since he pitched for the Brewers after the trade (rule that PTBNL can't play in same league from time trade is announced until it is completed).

Also probably not Rogers because I would assume he is still considered a "top prospect" by Melvin, despite his injuries.

I'd actually prefer seeing Rodgers included in the trade than someone like say Kintzler as another poster brought up.

K-Rod, Hawkins, and Saito likely will be gone next year, so we'll need to fill some spots in the pen. Kintzler really impressed me before getting hurt and i could envision him becoming a key cog in the pen next year, while i've reached a point with Rodgers where it's hard to see him ever staying healthy enough to be a big league pitcher, much less staying healthy and being effective in the bigs.

Well FWIW Rogers is 2 years younger than Kintzler, who just turned 27. And I would think that Rogers would still have enough value to some team where we could get someone better than Kintzler (if we wanted to trade him).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I guess it's possible a team could still value Rogers to a degree, but we're talking about a guy with already two shoulder surgeries under his belt, he doesn't throw as hard as he used to, and even when healthy, his results on the mound have mostly been mediocre at best because he still can't throw strikes. Every single year that Rogers has been in the minors except for a 64 inning stretch at Brevard County, his walk rates have not just been bad, they've been atrocious. Even that is being generous given Rogers did walk 29 batters in those 64 innings.

I'm by no means trying to imply that Kintzler is some high ceiling guy, but i definitely think the odds are significantly more in his favor of being able to at least contribute for a major league team compared to Rogers who has to manage to somehow stay healthy and show that he can throw strikes, both of which he's shown no ability to do.

• 3 weeks later...
just name the players already! i assume that because the brewers want to add logan schafer to a full 40-man roster, that the mets will be making their selections today--and at least one of the players is currently on the brewers 40-man roster.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have not studied his stats real hard but get the feeling he hasn't performed extremely well at AAA since the trade was made.

If I were going to the Mets, my performance would probably dip also... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I've been on Melvin for not "selling" the past couple of years, but it really seems like the trade deadline has become quite the buyer's market. I understand the Brewers took on risk in the K-Rod deal, but the Mets basically gave him to the Brewers just to save salary. Good trade Doug.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's not really a fleecing by any stretch imo.

Sure, they were in a bind given the $17M vesting or whatever. But the reports of giving up mid-level prospects was even overblown.

Herrera was a waiver wire pickup (AAAA player). Rosario might have a good arm, but would need to be on the 40-man to be protected from the rule V draft (again) and went the wrong direction at A+ ball this year. There is still plenty of time for him to develop to something good, but given that we weren't going to protect him on the 40-man, I doubt it would have been here again.

IF we offer arby and get 2 draft picks back for him... it would totally be a fleecing. If we don't and he signs elsewhere, its merely a great deal.

Kind of funny that Rosario has brought us back $25k and 1/2 of K-Rod this year.

Archived