Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY
Can't wait 'til the 2012 draft. With Fielder and K-Rod leaving via FA, and with the Brewers' regular pick in the draft, the Brewers will have quite a lot of picks on their hands

I still think there is a decent chance Prince signs with a team that has protected 1st rounder.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said earlier, no option means no buyout.

It's now a mutual option, meaning that both sides have to agree to extend the contract. Sources, including Rosiak and Rosenthal, are reporting that the buyout is now $4 million.

K-Rod deal makes sense on both sides

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

and once again, we'd only get one pick since K-Rod will likely be a type B free agent according to mlbtraderumors. So no harm in offering arbitration. The worst thing that could happen is he'd accept, and we'd have a dominant bullpen that makes a total of around $12-15 million

I kind of feel badly for Ax Man now. He did not do anything wrong to have his job put into question.

Well as has been discussed on this topic, a "game finished" can be pitching the bottom of the 8th on the road when the home team goes on to win. Or blowing a save but still being the last pitcher used. I don't think Roenicke is stupid enough to value "Frankie" over Axford... at least I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: Now that the vesting option has been ditched, I'm feeling confident that Axford will still be The Closer. However I would LOVE to see Roenicke just using his best RPs in the most important situations, regardless of inning.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How bad does this quote from Roenicke sound out of context? "...it’s just not comfortable when you know what’s going on with everything."
Out of context that sounds really really bad.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

How about this?

"These things, these contracts, most of the time a manager doesn’t know about them, so you don’t have to worry about anything."

What the... what?

TLB, I read that in the paper this morning and had a (paraphrased) "What the hey" moment. Actually that moment won't go away. With all else from RRR, I don't think it ever will.

Don't know if it was mentioned, but something most of you know by now: the Brewers WERE on the no-trade list of 10 teams, but his previous agent never submitted the list to the team or the players assoc. FR diplomatically said it was due to Trevor being the incumbent closer at the time he signed.

To play devils advocate, what I think RR means is that worrying about a players contract and escalators isnt his job, that is the GMs job. His job is to manage games and use the players in the right situations, regardless of contracts.

To play devils advocate, what I think RR means is that worrying about a players contract and escalators isnt his job, that is the GMs job. His job is to manage games and use the players in the right situations, regardless of contracts.
Agreed. I have no problem with that statement. Save for the unique situations like this one, I don't really want a manager-managing in a playoff chase based on someone getting a 500K bonus for 650 AB's.

There is seldom any reason for him to know the particulars of a contract.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

HiAndTight, you're right on target with what a manager should concern himself with (wish I had that 500k bonus clause). But as mentioned, this was a special situation and as this team doesn't have the payroll of the Yankees he should be aware of this clause. It comes with the territory of being a small market manager. Fortunately it's a moot point. Phew!!

Here's a quote from RR on ESPN:

"From my point of view and that of the staff, it will be nicer on us," he said. "These things, these contracts, most of the time a manager doesn't know about them so you don't have to worry about anything. But when it's so public and I knew exactly all the numbers, it's just not comfortable."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/st...ve-games-finished-clause

I guess I don't see what the big deal is that RR said this. In this situation, he was aware of the clause. As mentioned, other minor clauses shouldn't be on RR/manager's mind. That's for the GM to deal with. The Brewers obviously knew about this when they traded for him and acted accordingly.

"I didn't ask to be in this position. Ron didn't want to put me in this position and Ax, he didn't want to be in this position," Rodriguez said. "We never asked to be put in this position, but we have to get together and work together. Hopefully, it will work out in a way that will be good for Ax and me at the same time. They want to win. I want to win. And that's the bottom line."

To be honest K-Rod sounds like he is trying to put a positive spin on a situation he doesn't like very much. Good thing it will only be for a few months because I think it can work out fine when he knows it is short term and free agency is coming up.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...6&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

• 3 weeks later...
Any news on the PTBNL front? Or even a list?

The closest to news we have is Tom H saying two different times it is not Taylor Green and they are mid-tier prospects at best. That was in a chat last week. Some have wondered whether that was speculation or if he had knowledge of the list. He sounded very confident and direct for it just to be speculation

Any news on the PTBNL front? Or even a list?

The closest to news we have is Tom H saying two different times it is not Taylor Green and they are mid-tier prospects at best. That was in a chat last week. Some have wondered whether that was speculation or if he had knowledge of the list. He sounded very confident and direct for it just to be speculation

Tom H's essentially "informed," which is quite enough for me to trust that the Mets likely are getting "filler," not the likes of any recent upper-round picks, legit prospects, or McClendon-types who've been up here and gotten decent results.

the Mets likely are getting "filler," not the likes of... McClendon-types who've been up here and gotten decent results.
Alderson said that the Mets were going to get someone with MLB experience, and some success there. Not many other healthy players who fit that bill beside McClendon.
Yeah I'd be mildly surprised if McClendon wasn't one of the players. I'd almost guarantee either McClendon or Kintzler is one of the players included.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

What about Braddock? I hope it's not the case, of course.
Can't be Braddock since he pitched for the Brewers after the trade (rule that PTBNL can't play in same league from time trade is announced until it is completed).

Also probably not Rogers because I would assume he is still considered a "top prospect" by Melvin, despite his injuries.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived