Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Total cost to the Brewers: $5 Million minus the cash received.

He will undoubtedly be a setup guy because (a) Axford is entrenched and (b) K-Rod gets $17 Million in 2012 if he finishes 55 games in 2011. The Brewers won't let this happen, and K-Rod has got to know that nobody would let this happen so he should just enjoy the ride.
ah, so it's games "finished" not games appeared in. That works better than. Still a $3.5 million buyout next year. But still, much better than if he ended up with $17 million

If KRod pitches in 55 games his option for next season becomes guaranteed at $17.5 million. Which means the Brewers are getting 20 appearances about him (plus hopefully some playoff performances), because he's already been in 34

Its only if he finishes those games. He won't. But he has a buyout on his option of $3.5m so this is closer to $8-9m in salary minus what ever the Met sent.

Uh...what about the fact he is already 62 percent of the way toward guaranteeing his $17.5 million vesting option for 2012 (he needs 55 games finished, and he has 34 at the All-Star break)?

Do we pull a JJ Hardy and make sure he doesn't get there? His agent is Boras so I'm sure we're not going to get a team-friendly discount.

What about it? He's going to be our set up man.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Why trade for a BP arm when SS is a much more pressing need? We can get by with the BP. We cannot get by with a replacement level player at SS.

Don't like it unless Doug M has something up his sleeve to replace Yuni B.

Also, I guess the new Mets owner really is a Brewers fan.
I don't get this, you don't like the trade because there is another position that's equally/more pressing?

How does this trade preclude the addition of a SS?

Why trade for a BP arm when SS is a much more pressing need? We can get by with the BP. We cannot get by with a replacement level player at SS.

I don't get this, you don't like the trade because there is another position that's equally/more pressing?

Because it likely eats up all the salary room the Brewers have to work with.

If Thornburg is included I will come to Melvin's house while he is sleeping and write dummy on his forehead. But seriously this scares me. What do we have to give? I'm hoping Rivas and someone from the lower levels--maybe Gennet or something.

First impression is I'm not that crazy about this. Last time I saw him pitch his velocity was down around 90-92. Also, this is his worst year for WHIP (1.41) and batting ave. against (.265). Is there a website that compares velocity year to year?

If Thornburg is included I will come to Melvin's house while he is sleeping and write dummy on his forehead. But seriously this scares me. What do we have to give? I'm hoping Rivas and someone from the lower levels--maybe Gennet or something.

I doubt we're even giving up that much. I think this is a salary dump for the Mets, and they likely get to chose from second tier prospects...from our system.

Step 1: Rob the poor Mets by getting a great player for basically nothing as long as we pay for him.

Step 2: Do the same thing to the Dodgers for Furcal.

Wow....we are like the Yankees now, this is neat. Maybe Mark A. will get power crazy and pay for Prince next

The Mets are shedding salary. Melvin is hitting while the opportunity is there. The Dodgers will also be trying to shed salary. Furcal, anyone? This is a perfect storm trade, and probably not the only one.

EDIT: topper types faster than me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Step 1: Rob the poor Mets by getting a great player for basically nothing as long as we pay for him.

Step 2: Do the same thing to the Dodgers for Furcal.

Wow....we are like the Yankees now, this is neat. Maybe Mark A. will get power crazy and pay for Prince next

Sure am happy our owner was a fan of that team growing up and not the Pirates. Being a "buyer" is all he knows!

Wow. This is a hell of a trade depending on who we gave up for K-Rod. The "additions" of Saito and K-Rod make the 7th - 9th legit for us and with our starters hopefully being able to go consistently 6 I am very pleased.

Now just bring in someone who can post a .650 OPS/play solid defensive SS and promote Taylor Green and we are set.

This really helps anchor what was an average pen into an above average one.

Because it likely eats up all the salary room the Brewers have to work with.
And potentially any remaining minor league trading chips we have too.

And the replacment of Yuni B is far and away more pressing than adding another BP arm.

Archived