Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So now they can use as much as they want, offer him arby and get the picks. Talk about coming up roses.
Just guessing, but the deal was probably that we wont off him Arby if he waives the option. Thats what makes the most sense to me.

Edit: Wasn't that part of the contract with Saito, that we wont/cant offer him arby at the end of the year?

That's my guess as well.

At first glance I really have no idea why the Brewers would pay him more to waive his option unless they are planning on using him as the closer.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

At first glance I really have no idea why the Brewers would pay him more to waive his option unless they are planning on using him as the closer.

Well waiving the option also waives the buyout, correct? If we give him an extra $3.5 million this year, same difference.

If 3-4-5 are coming up in the 8th, I'd rather have them use Axford anyway...give K-Rod the save opp in the 9th. Make him feel better and use the better reliever in the higher leverage situation.

I wish I had faith that RRR would think like that. It will probably be...well, K-Rod had 2 saves against the Cubs, but Ax only had one so K-Rod must be better. I'll use him in the 9th.

Yeah there are some details missing on this. Do we still get the $3.5 Million from the Mets even though there is no longer a buyout. If we do; then there really is no financial downside to this deal. Do we agree to not offer arbitration? Part of the appeal of K-rod was getting the picks so I will be dissappointed if it comes out that we won't be getting those

If I were Melvin, I wouldn't have to agreed to not offer arby. Milwaukee would have just used Axford as the closer, K-Rod would not get his guaranteed year, and then they could have offered him arby if they wanted to. If Melvin did agree to this, I think he made a big mistake. He needs all the draft picks he can get.

Maybe there was a gentleman's agreement between the Brewers and Boras to give a little and get a little in return. Obviously, Boras lost all leverage when he was traded to Milwaukee and in his true fashion, wanted to reclaim some of that back. Instead of watching his prized "closer" pitch 8th inning after 8th inning, he may have told the Brewers that they will waive the $17.5 vesting option if the Brewers would use him as their closer (making him a more appealing FA). And the Brewers 'reward' for doing that would be to offer him arby at season's end and leave with 2 draft picks.

Actually makes pretty good business sense for both parties.

I kind of feel badly for Ax Man now. He did not do anything wrong to have his job put into question. In fact, one could argue he is the guy whose job should be the most secure with all the inconsistencies this team has shown this year. I know it will be difficult for RR to bypass a guy he watched convert 62 saves a few years ago...sucks for Ax.

Haudricourt has a blog up now that says he thinks the Brewers agreed to not offer arbritration with this move. If that's the case, I feel it is a stupid move. He's not going to accept arby anyway, so get the extra pick(s) and move on.

The whole games 'finished' can easily be avoided. It allows us to use him however we want, but I will say that if he gets more save opportunities than Axford (which I don't really believe will happen) it is not a good decision. Axford should be the closer, period.

There could be a Type A/Type B kind of agreement.

It would be huge for us to have him retain his Type A status. It would make it, quite possibly, Doug Melvin's greatest "value" trade ever if he became Type A for what we will have to give up.

I would still use Axford as the main closer and KRod in the 8th, with the occasional save opportunity. And then I would still offer KRod arbitration. In this scenario, he probably wouldn't accept because A) he already waived the vesting option meaning he wants to becomes a FA and B) he would know for sure that he would be a setup man to Axford. If the Brewers split closing duties 50/50 or even 60/40 either way, I could see KRod accepting arbitration because it would be a sign to him that there is still a chance for him to close. Even then, I still think he would want to try for a multi-year deal. I just think 2 high draft picks (assuming nothing changes with the draft) are too valuable to pass up because there's a chance he accepts. If he accepts, we have another solid closer for one year or we trade him to someone and eat some money or we potentially trade Axford for a stud prospect.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I don't see why they wouldn't if they have the rights to - no way Boras would accept it.
Right now I'd lean towards offering arby, but the relief market is extremely strong this winter. Of course if there are more players available that means more teams have holes to fill, but K-Rod is certainly not the prized pig of this relief class (/insert comment about Cordero being an unprized pig).

What's a reasonable guess for K-Rod in this offseason if he throws 3.00 ERA ball the rest of the year? If he's a type A I don't know that he'll get more than 2/12 or so. I really don't think it's that unlikely for him to accept.

We are so stupid. If we gave him more money, we should've had the condition be that he doesn't accept arby. Throw in another million if you have to. He didn't need to "finish" 20 games anyway for us, so it's like free money for him if we don't get picks back. What a stupid move. It's like somebody spending a TON of money on life insurance. Not the smartest investment imho.

We are so stupid. If we gave him more money, we should've had the condition be that he doesn't accept arby. Throw in another million if you have to. He didn't need to "finish" 20 games anyway for us, so it's like free money for him if we don't get picks back. What a stupid move. It's like somebody spending a TON of money on life insurance. Not the smartest investment imho.

As I said earlier, no option means no buyout. If we're just moving the buy out money to now there's no harm done. I also find it extremely unlikely that you're allowed to officially have a condition that he can't accept arbitration.

Melvin is making a huge mistake if he doesn't offer arby.

Extra high picks are huge for a rebuilding farm system. Rodriguez is very unlikely to accept. Think about it. Yes, he can get a sweet 1 year deal here. He also won't be guaranteed to close and will pass on the security of a longer term deal. Why would he take that when some other team will give him a multi-year deal and make his the closer which makes him a lot more valuable?

And frankly, its not a huge disaster if he accepts. You bite the bullet and pay him about 5 mil more than you otherwise would anyway for one year, like we did with Gagne a few years ago, you're set in the bullpen next year, and you move on after 2012. Not a huge price to pay or anything with long-term consequences. Worth the risk.

Archived