Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just remembered all the K-Rod drama from last season. Hopefully he leaves that crap in New York.

While the incident certainly wasn't funny for the parties involved, I find it slightly humorous that the man he allegedly assaulted is named Carlos Pena. Perhaps that will garner a few chuckles out of the crowd when the Crew face the sCrUBS.

Kintzler

Gamel fits the statement too... and he could move to LF or RF.

Gamel's on the 40-man though, no?

They can have Stetter as far as I'm concerned, I just don't want to lose a guy like Kintzler.

I'll repost what I wrote from the Minor League Spec thread about the 40 man thing:

With the PTBNL thing, I too always thought that the rule was the player couldn't play in the same league from the time the trade was announced until the end of the year. This was put in place to prevent a situation where a guy is playing against the team he is to be traded to and purposefully plays bad. So that means that the PTBNL cannot be on the 25 man for the rest of the year but could still be on the 40. Also, someone who was already on the 25 man earlier but won't be for the rest of the year is also eligible. If Mass or anyone else has any literature or links to contradict this, please share.

Edit: This article specifically talks about the trade and that a player can't be traded from the same league. But it doesn't mention anything about the 40 man.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Thanks rawbecht. I'm really hoping it's not Gamel then. Ike Davis should have 1B locked up for a few seasons and he obviously won't be playing at 3B. Jason Bay is in LF and Carlos Beltran is in RF. Unless a Beltran trade is in the works (which is not at all unlikely) I'm not sure where he could play. So, Gamel is indeed someone who has been moderately successful in the majors but I don't know that he would be able to be a big part of the club unless Beltran were shipped out of town.

With the PTBNL thing, I too always thought that the rule was the player couldn't play in the same league from the time the trade was announced until the end of the year.

That's more or less how I remember it. That's not necessarily inconsistent with the 40-man roster idea, though. Once the season ends, the entire 40-man roster would be major leaguers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

PTBNL is such an annoyance. Just name the players so we can get on with our lives. I can't feel anything about this trade unless I know who's going. How can anybody?
Well we are giving the Mets a list of players to pick from so the Mets will probably wait as long as possible to get a long look at the guys they are considering picking. I've also heard rumors that the list isn't even completed yet - in addition to about a thousand other rumors. It's funny, Brewers fans all say there is no way there is a top 10 prospect involved and Mets fans all say Thornburg or Gamel or Green is involved. I think it ends up being a bottom of the roster reliever (Kintzler, Parra, Stetter, DiFelice) and a throw in prospect from A or AA. Still not 100% on the 40 man roster thing though either, which would eliminate most of those guys.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Sandy Alderson was on WFAN after his formal press conference, and concluded his interview with the following, in response to a question about when we would learn the identities of the 2 PTBNLs:

"We have one guy we're deciding on who has been in the big leagues, has been reasonably successful in the big leagues, he would have a role for us right away and we could decide on him shortly."

He stated that they might chose 1 guy quickly and leave the other guy til later in the season.

Here's the audio link, the quote above begins just after the 18:00 minute mark.

Don't forget that Melvin said earlier that it wasn't one of the top prospects. So there is no way it's Gamel. If that quote from Sandy Alderson above is correct, it almost has to be Kintzler or Stetter. Parra could be added to that list, but the statement "he could have a role with us right away" kind of eliminates him.

With the PTBNL thing, I too always thought that the rule was the player couldn't play in the same league from the time the trade was announced until the end of the year.

That's more or less how I remember it. That's not necessarily inconsistent with the 40-man roster idea, though. Once the season ends, the entire 40-man roster would be major leaguers.

But if the trade is announced in Sept like Doug said in an earlier interview today (not sure which one), the season wouldn't be over so I still think someone on the 40 man could be in the trade, as long as they aren't called up when rosters expand.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Don't forget that Melvin said earlier that it wasn't one of the top prospects. So there is no way it's Gamel. If that quote from Sandy Alderson above is correct, it almost has to be Kintzler or Stetter. Parra could be added to that list, but the statement "he could have a role with us right away" kind of eliminates him.
Or McClendon.

Can you trade an injured player? I ask because of the "decide soon" portion of Alderson's comment. If so, that would seem to eliminate Kintzler, Parra, Stetter (though he seems about ready to go) and DeFelice (only on 7 day DL which may explain the PTBNL part). Other names that fit the bill of "not a top prospect with ML experience" would be Boggs, Carroll, Almonte, Nieves, Green, Herrara, Wright and Rivera.

Can anyone clear this up, because I've heard both of these statements from multiple sources and they contradict each other completely:

The Mets are getting a guy who has played in the big leagues for us

The Mets are not getting a guy who is on the 40 man roster

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Can you trade an injured player? I ask because of the "decide soon" portion of Alderson's comment. If so, that would seem to eliminate Kintzler, Parra, Stetter (though he seems about ready to go) and DeFelice (only on 7 day DL which may explain the PTBNL part). Other names that fit the bill of "not a top prospect with ML experience" would be Boggs, Carroll, Almonte, Nieves, Green, Herrara, Wright and Rivera.

An injured player can be the PTBNL but I believe you have to wait until after they come off the DL to announce it. It was mentioned in an earlier post.

Can anyone clear this up, because I've heard both of these statements from multiple sources and they contradict each other completely:

The Mets are getting a guy who has played in the big leagues for us

The Mets are not getting a guy who is on the 40 man roster

Well they are getting 2 players so each could be one. It could also be a guy who has played for us in a previous season (or even this season) but was removed from the 40 man. We don't really know who the players are, other than the one clue from the Mets GM that they are looking at a guy who has played some in the bigs already.

Kintzler and Parra are both hurt... Parra has a bad injury history and may need TJ surgery, Kintzler is trying to come back but may also need TJ surgery.

I don't see how either one fits.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

We have one guy we're deciding on who has been in the big leagues, has been reasonably successful in the big leagues, he would have a role for us right away and we could decide on him shortly

Leaving off Kintzler or Parra who are on the DL, that sounds to me like McClendon (which would make me a bit sad) or Herrera (which would make me less sad). Maybe the Mets are looking for a battle-tested second lefty in the pen? That's a role...Herrera throws with his left hand....career ERA under 4. C'mon, Mets, pull the trigger on Danny H.

(I could also see the Brewers being ready to cut bait on Parra I suppose...)

We have one guy we're deciding on who has been in the big leagues, has been reasonably successful in the big leagues, he would have a role for us right away and we could decide on him shortly

Leaving off Kintzler or Parra who are on the DL, that sounds to me like McClendon (which would make me a bit sad) or Herrera (which would make me less sad). Maybe the Mets are looking for a battle-tested second lefty in the pen? That's a role...Herrera throws with his left hand....career ERA under 4. C'mon, Mets, pull the trigger on Danny H.

(I could also see the Brewers being ready to cut bait on Parra I suppose...)

I could see Stetter as well. He seems close to coming back so he could conceivably help right away.

Or McClendon.
But would McClendon be able to pitch for them right away? I was under the impression that since he's on the 40 man, he wouldn't be able to pitch for them. Is that an incorrect understanding?

Archived