Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod (and cash) acquired; The cost? LH reliever Daniel Ray Herrera and low-A RHP Adrian Rosario

AJAY
Adam McCalvey's Twitter:

RRR says both K-Rod and @JohnAxford will close, and both will set-up. I'll have a story with his comments on Brewers.com.

Arrggghhh!!!! Only RRR could screw this up. And since K-Rod is a former Angel, nothing he does wrong will demote him from partial closing duties.
I think this is posturing to appease K-Rod. Axford will close 4 of every 5.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam McCalvey's Twitter:
RRR says both K-Rod and @JohnAxford will close, and both will set-up. I'll have a story with his comments on Brewers.com.

Arrggghhh!!!! Only RRR could screw this up. And since K-Rod is a former Angel, nothing he does wrong will demote him from partial closing duties.

He cant be serious. There is no reason to share duties. I want to like RRR but this would really annoy me

Adam McCalvey's Twitter:

If he comes close to the remaining 21 finishes because of this Roenicke should be fired immediately. That's just asinine, there's no reason to do this.
I know we love WAR on here, so by my rudimentary calculations if that does happen:

1. -$14M on the K-Rod option
2. -1.3 on Kameron Loe's terrible WPA (translates to about a million below replacement level)

Puts him at -$15M worth of production, or - 3 WAR. And we say replacing Betancourt is our biggest problem...

The bullpen has 20 losses already at this point. That's huge at this point in the season. In nearly every case, that means that either a lead or tie was given up.

That statement really needs to be put in to perspetive.... if we just win half of those.........

Exactly. Additionally, look at the ERA in innings 6-8

6th: 5.28

7th: 4.5

8th: 4.11

Yep, those 20 losses by the bullpen are the most in baseball. That cleary says the bullpen wasn't getting the job done regardless of what WAR says should have happened vs. the mytical replacement players.

So Axford finished 35 games over more than half a season. If they split the remaining 30 or so games KRod still only gets 17 or 18, but that is cutting way too close

I agree with this, No way they should cut it that close. Ax has been nothing but brilliant, why should he get partially demoted. I don't mind K-rod saving every few games but it shouldn't be a 50-50 split.

RRR says both K-Rod and @JohnAxford will close, and both will set-up.

I actually kinda like this. Enough of the traditional setup/closer roles that require one guy to have more "clutchiness." Now he can put in the guy that's better rested, or the guy the presents a better matchup, or put one of them in during a tie game and the other can close. There are a million reasons why I don't think it's ever a good idea to limit your best bullpen arm(s) to specific roles.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I actually kinda like this. Enough of the traditional setup/closer roles that require one guy to have more "clutchiness." Now he can put in the guy that's better rested, or the guy the presents a better matchup, or put one of them in during a tie game and the other can close. There are a million reasons why I don't think it's ever a good idea to limit your best bullpen arm(s) to specific roles.

There are 14 million reasons why K-Rod should not be finishing games.

I agree with the strategery involved here. But not when a $14 million is on the line.

K-Rod saving a game here or there giving axford rest is fine.
K-Rod coming anywhere close to 21 finishes is grounds for termination.

Just when RRR gets the 8th inning guy he has been looking for, he says both will close and set up. I hope he means Krod will close when Ax is not available. Ax has been great and should be the closer. I wonder if RRR could convince Krod that the 8th is just as important and he should just embrace it because there is no way he gets to 55.

The bullpen has 20 losses already at this point. That's huge at this

point in the season. In nearly every case, that means that either a

lead or tie was given up.

Here is the NL relief pitching only stats. We do lead the league with 20 Lgr (relief losses) but as you can see the average is 15, you cant look at that 20 number and expect it to be close to 0. So that is 5 games lost above average our bullpen has cost us. For example Yuni right now is at 18.2 runs below average and Casey is 17.4 runs below average which combined accounts for about 4 wins below average between them.

Tm R/G G GR GF Wgr Lgr ? SVOpp SV BSv SV% SVSit Hold IR IS IS%
MIL 4.41 92 256 91 12 20 38 24 14 63% 78 38 79 28 35%
FLA 4.35 91 288 87 17 19 38 27 11 71% 85 41 144 34 24%
HOU 5.04 92 271 91 13 19 28 10 18 36% 56 27 106 43 41%
CIN 4.43 92 278 90 12 18 31 19 12 61% 74 41 118 42 36%
CHC 4.99 92 284 91 16 16 33 20 13 61% 74 39 133 43 32%
STL 4.42 92 254 87 15 16 41 26 15 63% 79 32 136 43 32%
PIT 3.84 90 289 86 12 15 38 27 11 71% 100 53 158 46 29%
LgAvg 4.15 92 270 88 14 15 37 25 12 68% 81 42 122 38 31%
SDP 3.67 92 269 92 14 14 35 27 8 77% 75 39 102 30 29%
WSN 3.85 92 270 89 20 14 46 27 19 59% 103 52 168 57 34%
ATL 3.39 92 291 89 15 13 46 32 14 70% 101 55 126 27 21%
COL 4.47 91 279 87 11 13 40 28 12 70% 100 57 103 29 28%
ARI 4.42 92 270 90 15 12 41 29 12 71% 84 41 114 40 35%
SFG 3.50 92 277 89 20 12 45 33 12 73% 106 51 143 36 25%
LAD 4.05 92 250 87 9 11 23 18 5 78% 59 36 125 46 37%
NYM 4.26 91 270 88 12 11 34 24 10 71% 72 37 140 45 32%
PHI 3.24 91 223 80 15 10 28 25 3 89% 55 26 64 14 22%

Here's hoping it's just coach speak. We can't take everything RR says literally. He still can't bring himself to call Morgan/Gomez a platoon, even though that's exactly what it is. He says he has complete faith in Loe, but gives the 8th inning to others, and then they trade for KRod.

I really want to believe RR realizes there's no reason to fix what's not broken.

Yeah that's what I don't get. Earlier in the season, RRR made it clear that he believes in bullpen roles. It didn't matter if Kameron Loe had pitched 8 days in a row or had his pitching arm cut off by a rabid Brewers fan, he was coming out for the 8th inning because it was his god given right. Now he actually has a reliever who clearly is the 2nd best on the team and would be a great 8th inning guy, and he decides that there are no more bullpen roles any more.

What part of any of that makes sense?

Roenicke is an idiot if he lets K-Rod close any games. Ax has earned the job, and should remain the closer. It's complete stupidity to let K-Rod get even close to 55 games finished.

And it almost isn't even about the money. Axford has been as good as any closer in baseball the past year +. It's his job and he's clearly better than K-Rod (even surface stats tell you that). Why mess around with the one part of the bullpen that has been absolutely lock-down?

Ax has been nothing but brilliant, why should he get partially demoted.

You can lose a game in the 8th inning, too. The only reason it would be considered anything close to a "demotion" is because someone decided the 9th inning pitcher gets paid more and we were programmed to believe that a 9th inning pitcher needs to have extra pixie dust to be able to finish games.

~Nottso

You can lose a game in the 8th inning, too. The only reason it would be considered anything close to a "demotion" is because someone decided the 9th inning pitcher gets paid more and we were programmed to believe that a 9th inning pitcher needs to have extra pixie dust to be able to finish games.

Or because 9th inning situations generally carry higher leverage than 8th inning situations and it's therefore more beneficial to your team's win probability to put your best pitcher there.

I'd like to say that RRR is just using his media speak, but, I thought he was doing that with Carlos Gomez, Kameron Loe and YuniB. I can no longer give him the benefit of that doubt.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I am so jacked about this trade . Francisco seems to feed off the crowd and even though i may be biased a little i KNOW the energy will be buzzing in Miller Park down the stretch. This gifts Saito/Hawkins fewer times where they pitch two days in a row and liekly NO times of three days in a row.

All we need is Furcal....Furcal is all we need. (Or some competent SS)

I'm thinking that if there were a higher-leverage situation in the 8th, say runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out, then maybe Axford comes in to shut down the 8th and KRod gets the clean save chance

in the 9th. Hopefully something like this only happens at most 10 times. I actually think using Axford in these situations would be better for the team overall, if in fact that is what they are thinking. If they are thinking that sometimes Axford will start the 8th and KRod the 9th when they are both fully rested, then that is just stupid.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Let's relax a little folks. I'm sure RRR has explicit instructions on how to use K-ROD. And we know DM and MA have that kind of input, as we saw with JJ Hardy. K-ROD will probably close some games if Ax is unavailable or if there is some great matchup, but I seriously doubt he gets close to the vesting number unless Ax gets hurt or goes Turnbow on us.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean your "best pitcher" will be the same guy every time the lead is 3 runs or less in the 9th.
Care to tell me when K-Rod is better than John Axford?

All of last year?

Otherwise, I would say if Axford starts to struggle, or if Axford has pitched three days in a row. I also think there are situations where putting in a LOOGY to close is putting out your best pitcher. It always depends on the situation. Saying there is only one best pitcher all the time and leaving it at that, in my opinion, doesn't give the team the best chance of winning.

~Nottso

Archived