Brewer Fanatic

Starting Rotation Order Post All Star Break?

iheartcorey

I'm concerned Marcum isn't 100% healthy. Probably nothing he can't pitch through, but maybe they are trying to give him an extra few days off so he stays strong through the summer.

Everybody's getting the same rest, 7 days between starts. That makes sense to me instead of giving a couple guys 5 and a couple guys 10. There isn't a huge difference between 1 and 5 on this staff.

That rotation is a little strange to me. Why not go with Marcum, Gallardo, and Wolf? They've been your three best pitchers.

Because the best three from the first half doesn't mean they'll be your best three moving forward.

No matter how you cut it, Greinke still has to be counted on as your #1 for a couple reasons. First, he's shown he's more than capable of it, despite running into some obvious hiccups. He can dominate like no Brewers pitcher since Sheets(and obviously CC).

Second, if he doesn't step up and become a legit #1, the Brewers aren't going anywhere either.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Because the best three from the first half doesn't mean they'll be your best three moving forward.

Of course not, but they are more likely to be. Greinke has to put together a string of 3 or 4 quality starts in a row before I am willing to consider him an ace of this staff.

No matter how you cut it, Greinke still has to be counted on as your #1

for a couple reasons. First, he's shown he's more than capable of it,

despite running into some obvious hiccups. He can dominate like no

Brewers pitcher since Sheets(and obviously CC).

I disagree. You don't count on Greinke because of what he can do. You count on pitchers based on what they are currently doing. Greinke has yet to show any of the domination you speak of and I don't think the Brewers should throw him out there as their #1 or #2 under the assumption he'll get better. I think Marcum, Gallardo, and Wolf have all pitched better than him so far and should be facing the opponents best pitchers.

Second, if he doesn't step up and become a legit #1, the Brewers aren't going anywhere either.

This I disagree with as well. They are in first place with him having a pretty bad season so far. Obviously him improving will help significantly but I don't think the entire season depends on him.

What I think they should do is separate the lefties and separate Greinke and Gallardo since they have similar styles. I would do this:

Greinke

Marcum

Wolf

Gallardo

Narveson

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

That's basically what is happening. It's Gallardo Narveson Greinke Marcum Wolf. Same order as having Greinke Marcum Wolf Gallardo Narveson, so I don't see why it matters how they come out of the break. Just give them all 3 extra days rest and be done with it. I think they're doing it right.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

"You don't count on Greinke because of what he can do. You count on pitchers based on what they are currently doing."

What times pan do you use to define "current"? I see baseball fans using much too short of time spans, typically. It seems like you are advocating throwing everything out that hasn't occurred this year. That would be a big mistake. I'll be happy to wager that Greinke will perform better than Wolf going forward, however.

Of course not, but they are more likely to be. Greinke has to put

together a string of 3 or 4 quality starts in a row before I am willing

to consider him an ace of this staff.

Based on? We're not saying that it's more likely that Wolf is better the 2nd half than Greinke because of 85 games? We throwing out their entire careers and their peripherals?

Greinke

has yet to show any of the domination you speak of and I don't think

the Brewers should throw him out there as their #1 or #2 under the

assumption he'll get better.

Of course you do. If we're not counting on Greinke to bounce back then we might as well set a match to the whole thing and have a firesale because we're not a legit contender in that scenario.

Greinke

has yet to show any of the domination you speak of and I don't think

the Brewers should throw him out there as their #1 or #2 under the

assumption he'll get better.

Have you watched him this year? Of course he's been dominant at times. Hence the 12 K's per 9. That's a ridiculous ratio, and the 6 K/BB ratio. Dominating.

I think Marcum, Gallardo, and Wolf have

all pitched better than him so far and should be facing the opponents

best pitchers.

Well, since few teams are coming out of the break with their 1-2-3 set up the first three days, I suppose this is a moot point.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

1) agree with the above logic regarding holding Marcum back a few days to allow him extra time to recover from injury

2) Narveson at #2: If you look at the July schedule the only off day is on the 25th, which would be Narveson's normal turn.....therefore he will be skipped on that date

3) probables for the Giants: based on the announced rotation for the Rockies, look for Marcum on the 22nd, Wolf on the 23rd, and Gallardo on the 24th

1) agree with the above logic regarding holding Marcum back a few days to allow him extra time to recover from injury

2) Narveson at #2: If you look at the July schedule the only off day is on the 25th, which would be Narveson's normal turn.....therefore he will be skipped on that date

3) probables for the Giants: based on the announced rotation for the Rockies, look for Marcum on the 22nd, Wolf on the 23rd, and Gallardo on the 24th

Highly doubt Narveson gets skipped. Roenicke has stuck with the same rotation most of the year, and hasn't skipped him at all. I don't expect him to start now. Maybe in September in crunch time, but not in July.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

so Roenicke is going to pitch Narveson at the expense of making Gallardo, Grienke , and Marcum wait an extra day? The Cardinals must be pleased that their job was made easier

I don't think you can really judge now whether Narv-Dog will get skipped or not. If he's pitching like he started the year (small sample alert), it would be hard to just skip a start from him. Plus, as some mentioned, getting a day off can actually help some pitchers (meaning extra day off for whole staff).

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived